Monday, 25 July 2011

Baked BBQ Black-Eyed Peas and Rice

My memories of home BBQ's are probably similar to yours - where the menfolk in the house (in my case my father) took over the cooking.  As my father set alight the garden grill, the dramatics commenced.  The rising flames were marvelled and welcomed by our childish woos and ahhs, all of us waiting patiently for the first bite. 

My nephew asked a question a couple of months ago, when he learned that we could be moving closer to family in Wales.  I can't remember his exact words, but it was something along the lines of 'When Nana (Grand Pa) has a family BBQ what are we going to make you and D?'.  I told him it wouldn't be too much of a problem.  D's a demi-vegetarian by association so will eat fish and seafood now and again; and me -I may seem difficult to cater for but I actually think I am not.   I told him not to worry his little head, as I am sure I will be making a veggie contribution towards the family BBQs in the future - what it will be, well that is something we will both have to wait and see.

But back to present day Scotland, where the sun is still blazing - there is no meaty or veggie BBQ taking place in my little garden, however there are some Baked BBQ Black-Eyed Peas and Rice on the table.  The flavour of these beans sure are smoky, with a sweetness from the agave syrup.  The black-eyed peas are so soft that they just melt in your mouth like butter.  The tempeh gives this dish extra texture in the form of bite. I just wish I had served it with some greens on the side.
This recipe comes from Vegan Soul Kitchen and is described by the author Bryant Terry as a remix of Hoppin' John, a dish that is eaten throughout the South in America.  Hoppin' John is especially eaten on New Year's Day when it is thought to bring the eater good luck.

The recipe does not stray that far from the original. But I did have to make a few changes.  I replaced the kombu with bay leaf, omit the lime juice - only because I didn't have any citrus fruit in the flat.  Chipotle in adobo sauce is quite expensive in the U.K, so I just re-hydrated some dried chipotle peppers in hot water and added them to a blender with the tinned tomatoes and other ingredients.  I also increased the brown rice ratio.
This post is linked to Just Another Meatless Monday #70 hosted by What's for Dinner Mom?; Meatless (Vegan) Mondays hosted by Veggie Converter. 
Baked BBQ Black-Eyed Peas and Rice
Serves 4 - 6
280g dried black eyed peas, sorted, soaked overnight, drained, and rinsed
2 bay leaves
100ml plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
1 medium onion, finely sliced
1 green pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons lime juice (optional)
120ml tamari or soy sauce
200g tinned tomatoes
2 medium or 1 large dried chipotle chile, re-hydrated
60ml agave nectar; maple syrup or other sweetener
1 generous teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon of cayenne
1 teaspoon dried thyme
250g - 280g tempeh, diced
In a large pot, add the soaked and drained black-eyed peas, bay leaves and cover them with enough water.  Bring to a boil, then allow to simmer for 50 minutes or until tender.  Drain the beans, reserving the cooking water.
While the beans are cooking, combine 2 teaspoons of the olive oil, the onions, garlic and pepper in a wide pan over medium heat. Saute for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the vegetables have softened.
Preheat the oven to gas mark 5
In a blender, combine the vinegar, lime, tamari, tomato, chipotle chile, agave, cumin, cayenne, thyme, and 250ml of the reserved bean water and the remaining olive oil. Puree until smooth. Combine the cooked beans with the sauteed vegetables, BBQ sauce and tempeh pieces, then stir well. Transfer mixture to an ovenproof casserole dish and bake, uncovered, for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
While the beans are baking, make the rice.
Brown Rice
200g long grain brown rice, rinsed
400ml water
In a medium pan, combine the rice and the water.  Bing to the boil.  Then reduce the heat an simmer for 40 minutes, until tender.  Remove from the heat and set aside.
In the last 30 minutes of the beans baking, stir in cooked rice and return to the oven.  Serve at room temperature.  Adapted very slightly from Vegan Soul Kitchen by Bryant Terry.


  1. Yesterday I made a Mexican-style pork and black bean dish with loads of Chipotle, which I served with home-made corn tortillas. It was lovely! However, I could live without meat if I had your extensive repertoire of recipes at my disposal!

  2. looks like a very nutricious and a filling dish...yummy...

  3. Those look delicious!! I love bbq flavored meals!!

  4. You've had a similar one to this, and at the time I thought - - must try it! This looks yummy and a good prompt for me to try those black eyed peas. Your recipes are always so interesting. cheers Wendy

  5. This recipe looks wonderful. The BBQ issue is one I've faced since droppig chicken, but I do still eat fish on occasion, which helps :) Veggie burgers go well on the BBQ too though, as do mushrooms.

  6. I've linked to you on mine today, I hope you don't mind.

    I just HAD to let folks know about your gorgeous Puy Lentil, Carrot and Parsley Flan, I'm off to make another one now.

    Who knew lentils could taste sooooo good!!

    Sue xx

  7. You've got sun up there???!! That's one thing we miss on moving back to the UK from Vancouver last year. In North America, there's a lot more "south of the border" cooking. Especially good for brunches, but it's really hard to find the ingredients, or places that do it here. We will definitely try this one. It's funny how versatile the black-eye pea is, eh?

  8. This recipe is delicious!

  9. Mark.
    I came by your blog and have seen that yu've been eating some good grub - hummus, carrot dip and home made pitta bread - yum. I'm envious of your home made corn tortillas! I have to make do with shop bought.

    As always thanks you so much for your warming compliment which is graciously accepted.

    Thanks Chitra.
    It was filling and flaovur packed.

    Thanks Jess.

    Thank you so much Wendy aka Duchess_declutter.
    Your right there is a similar recipe to this one my blog but I do like my beans, pulses, lentils and legumes - so am always happy to try different variations.

  10. Thanks Kari.
    I agree mushrooms and Veggie burgers do go well on the BBQ, but I have to find a brand I like. May make some myself, but I think they would fall apart on the barbie as they tend to be designed for the frying pan or oven.

    Thank you so much Sue.
    Its so kind of you. Of course I don't mind, the more visitors the merrier. I will link back to your page from the original Carrot and Parsley Flan.
    I am so pleased you like it. - I should have said though it's still a work in progress re the filling quantities!

  11. Thanks Adam and Theresa.
    We certinly have - three days in a row! and guess what its still aglow.

    I hope you get chance to try this recipe. Your right, the black-eye pea is pretty versatile.

    Thank you Purvi.

  12. This looks so yummy. Thanks for linking up with Meatless/Vegan Monday. Hope to see you next week.

  13. Thank you Kristi.
    I certainly hope to link up next week too.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You