Wednesday, 6 July 2011

Pineapple, Ginger and Tofu Curry

My husband is excellent when it comes to eating his vegetables, but when it comes to eating fresh fruit he is a bit lazy.  The one time he'll tuck into a bowl of fruit is when its chopped up into little pieces and given to him as a fruit salad. Well no jewelled fruit or berry studded salad here.  Instead I present you with a savoury pineapple dish coated in thick, spicy coconut cream.

Pineapples are not widely used in Indonesian cooking, however this recipe is adapted and inspired by a dish from the city of Palebang in South Sumatra.
I have to admit, I would never had thought of combining these ingredients together, but I was encouraged by the recipe suggestion.  The curry was enjoyable, both sweet and savoury.  The taste reminded us both of Peshwari Naan bread; a South Asian sweet bread that is often served with spicy dishes.  I also found the surprise ginger hit wonderful against the juicy bursts of the pineapple chunks.
The tofu is optional, added namely for bulk and texture.  This curry is best eaten on the day.  If you leave it overnight, the flavours intensify and it become overly sweet, and this is meant to be a savoury curry, not a dessert.  I served it simply with plain boiled Basmati rice.
Pineapple and Tofu Curry
Serves 4
Ingredients
Optional: 300g firm tofu
1 pineapple, peeled and chopped into medium-sized cubes
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 - 3 shallots, peeled and finely sliced
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2½ inch ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon coriander seeds, roasted and ground
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 – 3 teaspoons red chilli flakes
150g block coconut cream
½ pint water
Coriander or mint leaves for garnish
Salt and black pepper to taste.
Optional: Lime wedge for serving
Method
Heat the oil in a wide pan and add the shallots and garlic. Saute for around 2-3 minutes until soft and add the chilli flakes, coriander, ginger and saute for another 3 minutes. Add water, coconut milk and pineapple. Bring to the boil and then turn the heat to medium-low. Add tofu if using, then cover. Cook for 6-8 minutes. Stir in the coriander and season with salt and black pepper to taste.  Serve with plain boiled rice topped with a lime wedge. Recipe adapted from here.

19 comments:

  1. This looks so delicious. I am a HUGE fan of curry tofu. Pineapples sound like a fantastic addition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would like this! (Apart from the coriander leaf, to which I am allergic).

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooooohhhhh,very very good,original i copy this food immeditely,many compliments,(i hope i write without a lot of mistakes)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shaheen, Gosh that looks good! I am not much of a foodie. I have used coconut milk before. I have never heard of a "Block of coconut cream" and am wondering about it and where to find it in the store.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ciao! thank you so much for your visit!
    I have to give you my compliments, your blog is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks interesting. I am usually put off by sweet curry, not because I really try it, more because I am picky, but I would like to try one x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious as always - I find your recipes so inspiring, would never think of putting these ingredients together. What a lucky husband you have!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I love pretty much anything involving pineapple and coconut milk!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love fruit in curries - this looks delicious! Perfect flavours for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks lovely! I love putting pineapple in curry- it gives such a great sweet flavor! I have also been stirring peanut butter into curry lately too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds AMAZING!! Full of great summer flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sweet bites in a savory dish always seem to make it much more interesting. This sounds like a wonderful bunch of flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Pineapple. You just gave me a great excuse to cook something with Pineapple chunks in it, other than a Pineapple Upside Down Cake!

    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh that looks gorgeous!!! I love sweet/ spicy food, and this one is right up my alley!

    Love the Ikea kid's tea set, I have one of my own which I ostensibly bought for the kid, but in reality love using for my pictures ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Shaheen, thanks for popping over to my blog and wishing me luck with the move. I LOVE your recipes, I'm salivating just reading! I'm definitely going to try some of them out - I'll let you know how they go!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi,

    Thanks for visiting my blog. :)

    Your blog looks really nice, I shall drop by again soon for a proper look round and check out your recipes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. looks irresistably hearty..
    first time here..love your space..
    awesome recipe collection..
    Am your happy email subscriber now..:)
    d0 stop by mine sometime..
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  18. mmm those are three of my favorite ingredients (and I love any excuse to add pineapple to a dish!), I can't wait to try this :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. thank you all for your comments which I thorougly enjoyed reading.

    Jennifer at three dogs garden - if you can't find creamed coconut - a tin of 400ml coconut milk would be an excellent substitute.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You