Tuesday, 12 July 2011

Daal with Chilli and Coriander Dumplings

I think its only right to follow my Brick Lane blog post with a South Asian fusion dish. 

I really should have really called these 'Chilli and coriander dumplings' - Gnocchi, as they are based on a gnocchi recipe, but it just doesn't seem right with daal.
If you are tempted to make these dumplings, please note they are best enjoyed on the day.  I know this as I had some left over and the minced coriander leaves in the dumplings leached out and stained the dumplings leaving greyish veins, although still perfectly edible they were not at all attractive to the eye.

Most people have their own recipe for making daal (also dal, dahl,  with orange or red lentils. I have to admit I never make the same daal recipe twice as I don't often measure my ingredients out in advance and tweak and adjust the daal flavourings whilst its cooking.  Traditionally towards the end the lentils go through a process called tarka a process of tempering spices in ghee (clarified butter) in order to add more flavour, but for a change I've chosen to add olive oil to this daal
This is my entry for this month's No Croutons Required (NCR) which is being hosted by Lisa this month. NCR is a monthly vegetarian food blogging event, where readers are challenged to create either a soup or salad incorporating a specified ingredient. NCR is alternately hosted between the Jacqueline of Tinned Tomatoes and Lisa of Lisa's Kitchen. The ingredient for July is hot peppers. Bloggers are welcome to submit either a soup or a salad that includes hot chilies, red or green, so long as its suitable for vegetarians.

I am also submitting this hearty recipe to My Legume Love Affair # 37. MLLA was founded by Susan of The Well Seasoned Cook who is also hosting Julys edition of MLLA.
Chilli and Coriander Dumplings
Serves 4
Ingredients
650g potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
2 teaspoons red chilli flakes
handful of fresh coriander, leaves minced
Salt and pepper to taste
200g self raising flour, plus extra for dusting
1 medium egg
Method
Boil the potatoes in salted water until tender. Drain and return tot he pan and shake over a low heat to evaporate excess moisture. Add the chillies and minced coriander leaves, season with salt, pepper. Mash well. Transfer to a bowl, add the flour and stir to combine. Beat in the egg, then turn out onto a floured surface. Knead the mixture briefly, then divide into 4. Roll out each piece with your hand into a 1 inch cylinder. Cut into 1 inch dumplings. Leave in the fridge until ready to add to the simmering daal.
Orange or Red Lentil Daal
Serves 4
Ingredients
200g red or orange lentils
6 cups water
100ml olive oil
1 teaspoon chilli powder
Optional: pinch of chilli flakes
½ turmeric
3 – 4 cloves garlic, crushed
Knob of ginger, grated
Salt to taste
100ml olive oil
Method
Put all the ingredients into a wide pot and bring to the boil.  Then turn heat down to medium and allow to simmer for abut 40  minutes, stirring occasionally until the lentils have thickened.  Add the olive oil and simmer for a further 10 minutes for the olive oil to blend in. 
To add the dumplings
Drop the dumplings into the simmering daal. When they rise to the surface, they are cooked and ready to serve immediately.

14 comments:

  1. Oh, I love daal!
    I could live on it, and yours looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds SO delicious. I have a lot of red lentils in my pantry...time to do somethin with them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh! Those dumplings sound wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. those little dumplings, yummy. love the look and specks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shaheen. This dish sounds exotic and delicious. I need more lentils in my vegetarian diet. Thanks for sharing and your photographs are making me drool on my keyboard as I type this comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Scarlett.
    This version was lovely, but my mothers is much better.


    Thanks Fran.
    Red lentils are great as they give body to dishes that would otherwise seem watery. I hope you get to use yours soon.



    Thanks Ruth.
    Nice change in the daal, which I'd normally have with a chapatti or over plain rice.



    Thank you Jennifurla.



    Thanks Chucky,
    I don't see this dish as exotic as its readily avaiallbe at most 'Indian style' takeouts inthe U.K, but I know what you mean. And please do forgive me for making me drool on your keyboard :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. veggies they are, but they look so exciting and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds heavenly! I am immediately interested when I hear the word "dumpling"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much Philippa.
    I've come to appreciate them more over the years, the first time i had one i spat it out, as I found it too doughy - not anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Coriander dumplings - Shaheen, this recipe really makes my heart sing. Thanks so much for sharing it with MLLA.

    (You've got some lovely recipes and a very pretty header photo. Nice.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so, so much Susan.
    For your support and lovely comments which are both really appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I have never thought of adding dumplings to dahl before. Thanks for the great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Rebecca,
    Makes a nice change to croutons or bread.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen