Friday, 22 July 2011

My mothers carrot halwa

My nephew has come up for the week; and with him he brought these edible delights.
Homemade Gajrilla translated as either carrot pudding in the Punjab or gajjar ka halwa in other parts of the Indian Subcontinent.

Its was never to my taste when I was a child.  I often found it excessively sweet, but fortunately over time I have come to appreciate this sweet, soft fudgy carroty delight. 
Here I have decorated the halwa bites with some glacĂ© Angelica fronds.
Now your going to ask me for the recipe.  Like me, You will have to wait for the next time I see my mother.


  1. These are adorable and delicious looking. Can't wait for your Mom to visit again ;)

  2. Yes - please get her back there. I want the recipe! This is my all-time favourite Indian dessert. I do love super-sweet!

  3. Thank you for your postings. I do not really like to cook myself BUT love to look at other's efforts.. Keep up the good work...

  4. I love how they're formed. Yes, I want the recipe! Guess I'll have to visit a restaurant in the meantime.

  5. I love halwa but never thought of carrot in it! Can't wait for the recipe.

  6. I can't comment on (or even guess at!) the taste, but these look gorgeous. Cute :)

  7. You tease us with your cute, carrot shaped, recipeless sweets! They look yummy!

  8. Thanks GiGi.
    Lovely to hear from you :)

    Thank you Scarlett.
    I had a good feeling that you would like these!

    Thanks Jess.

    Thanks Lydia La La.
    Your comment is appreciated.

  9. Thank you Wendy.
    Yes, I'll get the recipe for sure, plus I will have to watch how she makes it.

    Thanks foodfeud.
    Thsi is a very popular South Asian sweet dish. Youmust try it, though I forewarm you its not to every ones taste.

    Thank you Kari.
    Your comment is still appreciated - very much indeed. :)

    Thanks Sooz.
    I know I'm a bad girl - I look forward to getting the recipe to and sharing it with fellow readers.

  10. Yes these are delightful and fun, and delicious I am sure. What is so special.. your mom took the time to make these beautiful morsels for YOU.

    Have a lovely time with your nephew.

  11. You tease, Shaheen! I dug up my first carrots of the year today, but can't compete with these!

  12. Thank you so much Gardeningbren.
    I hope your well.

    Thanks Mal.
    Oh you know how to make me jealous, homegrown carrots! I'm coming over to see. :)

  13. I can't wait for the recipe, they sound and look fantastic.

  14. Thank you so much Picking Oranges.

  15. Just adorable! I love gajar halwa, labor-intensive though it is. Can't wait to see the recipe you share & compare it with my own!

  16. Hello Grapefruit,
    Its been such a long while since i heard from you. I must admit, I'm to be blamed too, anyway, good to hear from you.
    Yes, I can't wait to share and learn how to make this one from scratch.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You