Friday, 8 July 2011

Aubergine, Tomato and Tamarind Stew

Another aubergine and chickpea combination.
This time with different warming flavours.  Part of the reason for making this recipe was to enjoy seasonal produce, in this case aubergines and tomatoes.  The other reason to use up store cupboard ingredients, in my case tinned chickpeas and tomatoes.
Really these aubergines should have been chopped into chunks with other summer vegetables such as courgettes and peppers, then skewered and put on a veggie BBQ.  But no here the aubergine chunks are roasted and added to a bubbling stew.

Yes, here is a stew for the summer because you know at some point its going to belt down with rain.  This stew was very reminisce of the Tamarind Vegetable Pot with cumin dumplings and even the Swiss Chard, Chickpea and Tamarind Stew I made last year. I served it simply with plain Basmati rice.
I am also submitting this to Simple And In Season as both aubergines and tomatoes are in season.
Aubergine, Tomato and Tamarind Stew
Serves 4
Ingredients
1 large aubergine
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, finely sliced
2 – 3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 large red chilli
1 teaspoon cumin, freshly ground
½ teaspoon coriander, freshly ground
1 teaspoon brown or black mustard leaves
1 x 400g tin of tomatoes, chopped
1 scant tablespoon of tamarind paste
1 x 400g tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
6 – 8 tomatoes, cut into quarters
A small handful of mind, roughly chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
Preheat oven to gas mark 5.
Cut the aubergine into cubes and roast for 20 – 30 minutes on a lightly oiled tray.  Remove and set aside.
Heat the olive oil and gently fry the onion, garlic and whole chilli until softened, stirring occasionally. Stir in the spices and cook for a few minutes. Add the tinned tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes, then stir in tamarind, and chickpeas and cook for 5 minutes, before stirring in the aubergine and fresh tomatoes. Cook for a further 15 minutes. Check seasoning and stir in the mint before serving. Adapted from Leon by Allegra McEvedy.

18 comments:

  1. I love the combination of eggplant and chickpeas. I made a moroccan stew once that used those two veggies- so filling even though it's all veggies and beans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds delicious...wishing we had tamarind here...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious!!! I think I would like to try this!very much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chickpeas are lovely to eat, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a delicious summer stew. It reminds me of mualle, which uses pomegranate molasses in a Turkish lentil-tomato-eggplant stew. Tamarind sounds like a great addition, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love aubergines, look nice and delicious, gloria

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like it would suit Australian winter as well as British summer :) The flavour combination sounds wonderful, and a great way to use chickpeas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're still not getting any Summery weather then...?
    I bet the tamarind gives this one a real tang. It's a condiment not used much in the UK, but when used skilfully it adds a lot to a dish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum, tamarind and chickpeas, 2 of my favourites, we love everything from Leon, a great place to eat in London.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always like the combination of aubergine and tomato. It always makes for such a satisfying dish. And yes, it is pouring here today too. Stew weather in July *sigh*.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Sonia.
    Yes, its certainly filling even without the rice.



    Thanks affectioknit.
    You can buy tamarind in three forms in the U.K - as concentrate, as paste or dried and sold in blocks from which you then have to extract the tamarind flavours. I do hope you find some. Maybe you should check out some of the Mexican suppliers, as I've read it is used in some mexican drinks.


    Thank you PixieRose.


    Thanks Falling Flat.



    Thanks Rosaria.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Lrong.
    They certainly are :0)


    Thank you Janet.
    I've not heard of 'mualle'. I'll have to do a bit of readign on it, as I'm intrigued and have some pomegranate molasses in my store cupboard too.


    Thank you Gloria.



    Thanks Kari.
    I have to agree with you, it would suit winter as well as summer - wherever you happen to be in the world :)


    Hi Mark,
    Teh sun does peek out now and again, but it hasn't really settled, well not whenever I am around. I was hopignt o get some laundry done today, but its been drizzling on and off. Hopefully the week will begin a bit brighter.

    The tamarind really does give this stew a Tang! Exceeltn if you like tamarind, not so if you don't.



    Thanks Yogi Kitchen.
    I was in London on Friday, in Brick Lane area. I hope to check out Leon one day, but there are number of other veggie eateries that I'm drawn to first, but the question is what will I stumble upon first.


    Thanks Jacqueline.
    Sorry to read that is pouring in the East Coast of Scotland too. Lets hope the week begins with more sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another aubergine recipe to try! This sounds wonderful. I might even manage to persuade my husband to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Cedise,
    If you make this, I'd advise to go easy on the tamarind as its not to everyones taste, so add a teaspoon first and then up the quantitiy as you desire. It is a lovely warming dish when outside its raining.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a really lovely recipes. Making my tummy rumble. Thank you so much for entering it into Simple and in Season.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much Fabulicious Food.
    I hope to submit something for this month too.
    Thanks so much for hosting and for coming by too, it really is appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You