Thursday, 14 July 2011

Savoury Kale Cakes

I wasn't exactly sure what to do with the bunch of purple kale given to me by the LEGUP volunteers, but I knew I didn't want to just steam it.  After some thought, I made what I would like to call 'Kale Cakes'.
I really, really like kale, and was very much looking forward to eating them.  But as soon as I added the wheatgerm to the cooked vegetables, it turned all brown and meaty looking that I wasn't sure whether I would like these savoury cakes. I am glad to report that I was pleasantly surprised. 

These Savoury Kale Cakes are firm, almost frittata like, but unlike a frittata these are made with only one egg.  D described them as a veggie alternative to fish cakes.  These are good warm or at room temperature.  I served it simply with a new potato salad.  I think you could serve it as part of a roast dinner and think of it as a green stuffing. 
You will need 4 - 6 ramekin dishes to make this recipe
Savoury Kale Cakes
Serves 4 - 6 depending on the size of your ramekins.
300g kale, shredded, cooked and drained
1 medium onion, peeled and minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 celery sticks, chopped
1 tablespoon plain flour
4 tablespoons water
50g wheatgerm
Salt and pepper to taste
Saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil until soft then add in the celery and cook for a few minutes before stirring in the flour.  Add the water, stirring well and then all the remaining ingredients.  Allow the mixture to cool and spoon evenly into greased ramekin dishes, pressing down gently.  It should be about 1 1/2 inches in thickness.
Bake at gas mark 6 for 25 - 30 minutes.  Remove from oven.
Using a knife gently go around the baked kale.  This should loosen the Kale Cakes. Turn over onto individual plates and serve. 


  1. This is a great idea. I like to make little cakes out of greens too, especially when I am not feeling like a salad, which is their usual use in my house. I like to quickly blanch the greens and mix them with mashed potatoes and an egg and cheese, then pan fry. Or I saute with garlic and onions and lots of oil, add an egg and breadcrumbs, make patties, stick pecorino to the outside, then pan fry. I am going to try what you made - I simply do not use my wheat germ nearly as much as I should.

  2. I so dearly love kale... and purple kale! Oh my! I've never seen purple kale before! Amazing! What a great recipe with which to honor the purple kale!

  3. I always manage to end up with so much kale and these little cakes look so, so good! I'll be trying this for sure!

  4. These look really nice. As I have forgotten to plant any Kale (Doh!!), I think I will try making them with some Spinach.....I have PLENTY of that,Popeye would be proud!!

    Sue xx

  5. Everybody keeps saying...Eat Kale, Eat Kale. I'm never sure what to do with it. This sounds really tasty...Thanks!

  6. Thanks affectioknit.

    Thanks Jen S.
    I like the sound of your recipe, sounds like what we call Bubble and Squeak in the U.K, normally made from cabbage. Ilike the sound of the addition of cheese though - more upmarket.

    If you do make these, please please let me know how you find them.

    Hi Astra.
    I thought we had taken a close up photograph of the purple kale, but when the pictures were downloaded I was a little disappointed, but you see some growing on the previous blog entry.

  7. Thanks Sarah.
    Your so lucky to have kale.
    ease let me know how you find this recipe.
    won't be upset if you don't like them :)

    Thanks Sue.
    I'm not sure how they will work with spinach as its a lot more watering, so i will be curious to hear of the outcome and hope that they work well in which case Popeye would be proud!

    Hi Fran,
    I too will say Eat Kale - its delicious.
    You must also try them as kale crisps, really addictive.

  8. I will have to try this one. Sounds very delicious!

    Peace :)

  9. What a great idea to bake these! Lots of kale right now. Relying on your blog for inspiration.

    1. Thank you. I remember these being described by my husband as 'fishcakes'.

      I miss kale, really do. We are presently house-hunting, two of my priorities - a fair size kitchen and garden space. But I have to be realistic with our limited budget and the fact that I am still unemployed. Anyway, envy the fact that you have lots of kale, I hope to once again. Take care dear Brenda x


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You