Wednesday, 27 July 2011

Scottish Macaroni Cheese Pies

I made these little macaroni cheese pies a little while ago. I wanted to create a homely version of those you find at this High Street low cost bakery in the U.K, especially in Scotland.

Its not that far removed from the Caribbean 'Mac'n'Cheese, except in Scotland, the macaroni pie is made from hot water crust pastry, that is filled with macaroni cheese and then baked in the oven. I'm not that keen on them, but I have to admit that whenever the hunger pangs strike and I am near this bakery, I would indulge in them for two reasons. They are cheap and cheerful - value for money, and secondly, this was the best of a bad batch in the way of vegetarian options  The other being a greasy cheese and onion pastry that lacked onions; or a cold congealed pizza slice.

Anyway, a couple of months ago, I thought I'd have a go at making my own version of the Scottish Macaroni Pie.  Although I was happy with my pies.  The filling was creamy and the cheesy topping golden crisp, they were far from perfect.
The hot water crust pastry still needs a bit of tweaking, hence the reason I had not posted this earlier.  But for those of you who can't wait for it here are two pastry recipes.  Follow this link for hot water crust pastry and the other is below, but be warned this recipe still needs improving.

Scottish Macaroni Cheese Pies
For the macaroni pie pastry crust
Makes about 12
200g plain flour
¼ teaspoon salt
140g butter, chopped into cubes
1 egg yolk
60ml cold water
In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt. Then add in the cubed butter and rub in with flour until the mixture begins to resemble coarse breadcrumbs. Then gently add in the egg yolk and enough water to make a dough. Knead the dough on a floured surface until smooth. Wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Now make the macaroni cheese filling
Macaroni Cheese
Fills about 12 individual pastry cases
75g butter
1 medium onion,  peeled and sliced
75g plain flour
800g milk
200g cheddar cheese, grated, plus extra for topping
salt and ground pepper
250g macaroni pasta
Melt butter in a saucepan, add the chopped onions, cook gently until soft.
Stir in the flour and cook for a minute, then gradually add the milk, whisking all the time and then whisk in about three-quarters of the cheese and allow to melt into the sauce. Season to taste.
Cook the pasta according to packet instructions with a teaspoon of salt until soft.
Drain and then stir into cheese sauce.  Set aside while you roll out the pastry.
Lightly grease a 12 muffin pan.  Then roll out pastry dough thinly on floured surface. Then using a cookie cutter measuring about 3½ - 4  inch rounds and cut out 12 rounds. Gently press these pastry cases into the greased muffin pan.
Then spoon the cooled macaroni filling into the pastry cases and sprinkle them with the remaining cheese.
Bake in oven Gas mark 6 for 20 - 25 minutes until golden. Allow to cool before removing from the tin and serving.


  1. What a great idea. They look yummy. I'll have to turn my kiddos on to the recipe. They love 'em. :-)

  2. This is such an interesting dish. I have never had anything like it. I would really appreciate it, if you would link this up to Bake with Bizzy. It looks delightful and it is nice to have something different to share.

  3. lovely would love it...

  4. These are beyond adorable!!

  5. Ohhh... they looks SO good but I've yet to master the knack of rolling pastry! I haven't had much luck with pies- and when I make egg tarts it's usually the recipe where you press the dough into the pan...

  6. I have recently moved to Scotland and have seen Macaroni Pies in those stores...I have been tempted...I love mac n cheese...and pies...your recipe makes me want to try them at home before I succumb to temptation on the high street!! thanks :)

  7. Shaheen, you have absorbed the Scottish tradition! Clootie dumpling (v) next?

  8. That is so delicious......pasta and cheese inside a crust.....brilliant.

    Thank you for sharing it at Foodie Wednesday.Hope to see you next week as well with another great recipe.

  9. Thank you Julie Lynn.
    Kids will love it :-)

    Thanks Briarrose.

    Thanks Bizzy.
    As requested , my recipe has been linked to your blog.

  10. Thank you Chitra.
    I agree kids would love it.

    Thanks Jess.

    Thanks Sumaiyyah Abidah.
    Makign pies from scratch does take practice, but keep trying i am sur you will get there.

    Hi Victoria.
    I'd recommend you trying those bakery ones first, just to get an insight of what they are like and then making your own at home with great improvement.
    My recipe, the pastry esp. still need tweaking its not as robust as it could be :)

  11. Thanks Mal.
    To an extent - I still haven't tried curry sauce, chips and cheese with a can of Irn Bru - or is that just a Glasweigan tradition ?!

    I don't mind Clootie dumpling. I hope to make it for family one of these days. Maybe when I move down south.

    Thanks Ms Bibi.
    Thanks you so much for hosting Foodie Wednesday.

  12. Looks delish.

    We'd love you to share your recipes with us at
    Simply Delish Saturday

  13. Hi KB,
    I'll see if I can come up with something to share this weekend. If I miss this, I may participate next Saturday. Thanks for the invitation.

  14. Thank You So MUCH for joining me last week for Cast Party Wednesday. I hope you will come back tomorrow and share more of your recipes with us.
    I hope to see you there!

  15. Thank you ladybehindthecurtain.
    It was a pleasure to link up. I hope to do it again in the future.

  16. Hello Shaheen! I found you through At Home With Haley’s Blog Hop. Your Macaroni Cheese Pies look delish!
    Have a great day! Sherri


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You