Thursday, 30 June 2011

Mushroom, Puy Lentils and Ale Pie

There are so, so many variations of the 'Mushroom, Lentil and Ale Pies', in vegetarian cookbooks, at veggie-friendly eateries, on blogosphere and even the Vegetarian Society in the U.K has its own version. Well this one is mine. I’ve actually made these pies last year, but I didn’t get to try them as I was away for work in the granite city of Aberdeen. This time I wasn't missing out.

The generous amounts of Portobello mushrooms and puy lentils in this pie, makes this dark pie look and taste like a rich meaty pie, but its 100% vegetarian.  I've also dubbed it Drunken Mushroom Pie simply because of the alcohol content.  Why?  No reason at all.  It just sounds more interesting.
I made hot water crust pastry for this pie from scratch, but I completely appreciate that making pie pastry can be daunting for some people, so I've given you three options for the pastry below: shop bought puff pastry, shortcrust pastry or hot water crust pastry.  Now all you have to decide is which one suits you.  Also I appreciate that some of my readers do not consume alcohol, so please feel free to omit the ale if you wish, just remember this won't be a  Drunken Mushroom and Puy Lentil Pie', but a 'Mushroom and Puy Lentil Pie' - it will still be good though.

I am submitting this hearty 'Mushroom, Puy Lentil  and Ale Pie' to My Legume Love Affair. MLLA was founded by Susan of The Well Seasoned Cook. This month MLLA #36 is being hosted by Aqua of Served with Love.
Mushroom, Puy Lentil and Ale Pie aka Drunken Mushroom Pie
Makes 1 large pie (7 - 8 inch round pie) or 8 – 10 individual pies
Ingredients for the filling
300g Portobello mushrooms
300g chestnut mushrooms
4 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, finely sliced
3 – 4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon dried thyme or 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
2 tablespoon plain flour
150ml dark ale*
200ml vegetable stock
100g puy lentils, cooked
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
Wipe clean the mushrooms. Slice or quarter each mushroom. Heat the oil in a large pan and sauté the onions until soft and translucent, but not brown. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute before adding in the mushrooms. Keep the heat high and cook the mushrooms, stirring frequently until softened.
Gradually add the flour and stir until evenly combined. Add the ale and vegetable stock and stir, over high heat until the sauce thickens, before stirring in the puy lentils. Continue to cook for 5 minutes, then remove from the heat and cool to room temperature.

Now make the pastry
You have three choices for the pastry.
For ease, you can use shop bought puff pastry or shortcrust pastry – in which case pour the filling into a casserole and top with the pastry and cook according to packet instructions.
Or you can make your own shortcrust pastry. For recipe follow here.
Or You can make you own hot water crust pastry. Follow here for the recipe. For individual pies, see here.
Preheat the oven to gas mark 5.
Cook for 40 minutes to an hour depending on the size of your shortcrust or hot water crust pastry pie(s). Allow to cool, before serving.

18 comments:

  1. I don't know how you do it! :)

    I love mushrooms in all shapes, sizes and forms.

    Tempted to have a go at this recipe, but I'm not expecting it to look like yours..

    Have a great day!

    Martin

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't beat a good pie. Yours looks a very substantial pie and very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That pie looks delicious!! And pretty to eat ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot tell you how excited I am about this pie. It is a beauty and you know how much I love mushrooms. Oh, I cannot wait to try it. *fingers wiggling with excitement*

    oh and how did you shape this one. Was it is some sort of mould. Not feeling to confident about that part.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum yum yum! This sounds like a lovely winter weekend dish, I'm going to give it a try minus the ale and see how it goes, Thanks for sharing!
    p.s. I love the little mushrooms on top.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks yummy Shaheen, I like the decoration on top, it's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thankyou for this recipe- I do love puy lentils but need something "a bit more meaty" to serve my husband :) so I think it will fit the bill perfectly
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh...yummy. There's an award for you over at mine.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pie is so lovely! Hope to try making it soon! Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Martin
    :)

    I'd encourage you to have a go, if you don't try you won't get better.

    Have a good weekend.



    Thank you Karen.
    They really are substantial.


    Thank you Jess.
    ;)


    Thanks Jacqueline.
    I'm so pleased you like it. I know your a big fan of the mushroom in all its guises.

    I used a round cake tin, but I also made some in mufifn tins - a lot more fiddly and can be annoying as the hot watercrust needs to be warm to mould.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Almost.Skinny.

    I understand about the ale, not to my taste either, but my husband enjoyed it.



    Thanks sooz.
    I do like my cookie cutters!


    Thank you ted and bunny.
    This is def. "a meaty pie" - I do hope your husband approved:)


    Thank you so, so much Sue.
    Its so very kind of you.
    I'm away the next week or so, so will e mail you when I get back on home turf.
    xx


    Thank you Food Glorious Food.
    Wishing you luck - just be patient with the pastry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks delicious! Love pies, so want to give this a go. Thanks for the recipes

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Jacqueline.
    Its so lovely to hear from you.
    I really recommend this pie.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great recipes. You have so many fantastic recipes on here which indulge my love of mushrooms!

    Thank you for your comment! I would love a puppy, but I just don't have the time to give to one. I would love to rescue one though, but I also have a soft spot for Beagles.
    Where abouts are you moving in Wales? I am not very familiar with Wales, but I love to visit. My boyfriend, although moving away at 2, likes to go to his Welsh roots!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Zoe.
    I am hoping to move to South West Wales, but haven't yet confirmed exact location yet as I'll be renting, but it won't be that far from Cardiff (hopefully). Whereabouts is your boyfriend from?!.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Pie! Thanks for posting on my Boy Meets Food blog! Really appreciate it. I have only been up and running for about three weeks now. I love mushrooms and I love a good ale too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't normally like aubergines but that all looks absolutely beautiful. :) Thank you for visiting my site!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Stefan.
    I wish you well with your new blog, when I began it was 6 months before people started commenting, it did take a while to get hits from readers. so your already doing well.


    Thank you for repaying the compliment AikoVenus.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You