Tuesday, 14 June 2011

Marmite Brown Rice

When we arrived back home in Scotland on Sunday, there was not much to eat in the freezer, no back up pizza or frozen chips. 

We could have easily stopped at the supermarket; or ordered a takeaway, but too be honest having been spoiled by my mother and sister-in-laws all week with rich buttery food, I was happy to cook that evening.  Except of course, we did not have much in the way of fresh produce, so it was a question of turning to my so called pantry.  Plenty to choose from there, but I picked up: the kilner jar containing brown rice, a can of sweetcorn and Marmite.
I've used Marmite in a number of my recipes where yeast extract is required.  Early this year I made some Marmite Roast potatoes.  So I was quite curious to try out this Marmite Brown Rice recipe.  Its a cross between a Pilaf and Risotto - Savoury undertones from the yeast extract and sweet overtones from the sweetcorn.  I liked it, but D wasn't so keen on it.
Fellow blogger Ms Marmite Lover, founder of one of the original and successful Underground Supper Clubs in the U.K* has posted a recipe for making Marmite from scratch. I have to be honest, as much as I like the idea of making my own, I will probably be sticking to this brand.  I do like having Marmite in my kitchen cupboards, when I am feeling poorly: drinking a hot mug of Marmite does me the world of good.  
Marmite Brown Rice with Sweetcorn
Serves 2 - 3
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, finely sliced
180g brown rice, washed and drained
1 tablespoon Tamari or soy sauce
1 generous teaspoon Marmite, or similar yeast extract
400ml water
Small tin of sweetcorn
Optional: A handful of parsley, minced
Salt and black pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a large, deep saucepan. Add the sliced onion and fry until softened.  Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly, for 1-2 minutes.  Then add the water, Tamari or soy sauce and Marmite to the rice and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to simmer for 20 minutes.  Add the sweetcorn, salt and pepper to taste and simmer for a further 15 -20 minutes, or until the rice is cooked through and tender.  Stir in the parsley and adjust seasoning if necessary.
*In the U.K a Supper club is an underground restaurant run by home cooks.  Supper Clubs are not supposed to be exclusive or private posh eateries.  Supper Clubs are home bistros, pop up home restaurants and namely anti restaurant.  Sadly the idea of Supper Clubs as some of us know it is changing, as established restaurants are wanting a piece of this cherry pie. I wrote a little of my observations at the time about Supper Clubs aka Home Bistro', if you interested see here.


  1. Marmite Club? My son is a fully paid up member. Please confirm, MC: soy sauce AND Marmite?

  2. Great post - I'll have to try this with Vegemite!

  3. Interesting! Marmite and vegemite have been popping up lately but I have yet to try either. I can sort of imagine the taste, and it sounds like corn would be a great contrast.

  4. Looks good! Sorry to sound ignorant, but what's the function of the Marmite?

  5. How interesting, looks very tasty :)

  6. We always have Marmite in our house, and it goes in everything from cheese on toast to lentils (and Nigella Lawsons horribly addictive marmite pasta).
    As MikeyFox is a brewer, he's made marmite a few times. It's a very messy, sticky, smelly process, and results in quite a small jar of brown goo (and a house that needs fumigating!). It tastes pretty good though.
    Much love, dear friend

  7. Hi Mal's Allotment.
    So good to hear from you. I hope your well.
    I'm personally sitting on the fence with the Marmite Club as I neither love it or hate it. I just like it and have to be in the mindset for it. Unlike your son who is a fully paid up member :) Yes, your read right,soy sauce and Marmite. Some people I know who are meat eaters have described the flavour of marmite as a mix between concentrated beefy stock and soy sauce. The soy sauce serves more as a liquid seasoning like salt, whereas the Marmite serves as a chicken stock as it is more concentrated in flavour. Hope my response is helpful.

    Thanks Martin and Amy :)

    Thank you Duchess_declutter.
    I've never had Vegemite. I 'd liek to try it just to compare!

  8. Thanks foodfeud.
    The corn is a great contrast to the deep salty flavour of the Marmite.

    Thanks Sumaiyyah Abidah.
    No need to apologise. I fyour not British Marmite will soudn liek an oddity.
    Its add a yeasty and meaty flavour to the dish.

    Thanks Muppy :)

    Hello littleblackfox,
    Like you, I like having Marmite in my kitchen cupboards,i've yet to try Nigella Lawsons Marmite pasta. Another standby to keep in mind.

    Yes I remember you telling me of MikeyFox talents as a brewer. I'm fascinated to learn that he's home made marmite a few times and you've had the opportunity to try the authentic bblack bronze stuff. From your descriptive 'very messy, sticky, smelly process...and a house that needs fumigating!' is another reason to stick to buying jars.

  9. This sounds very lovely. I am definitelty a lover of marmite. And marmite as a drink - yum, but I haven't had it for ages. I must have a cup soon.

  10. Might just have to try this. I love Marmite so much that in times of 'savoury need', I am often to be found dipping a teaspoon directly into the jar of Marmite and slowly licking it off - bit like a Marmite lollipop really!

  11. Thanks Kath.
    You must -it awakens the senses.

    Thanks Vintage Jane.
    Marmite lollipop - liking it.

  12. Even though I am not British, I am a Marmite fan. In Switzerland there is "Cenovis", very similar in the way it's prepared and in taste (a bit more delicate maybe...). I love both and last week I took some photos of a delicious recipe including Marmite, I will post it soon.

  13. Ha - we had Nigella's marmite pasta last night - I will be posting on it soon. I do love Marmite but very rarely have it. Have bought a jar now so will rectify that.

  14. Hi Sissi,
    Lookign forward to seeing your recipe.
    I'm curious about "Cenovis" now, be good if yoy introduced it in your blog post.

    Hi Louise,
    Always good to hear form you.
    Looking forward to seeing your versiona of Nigella's marmite pasta.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You