Monday, 20 June 2011

Leek and Puy Lentil Flan

This tart originally began as a 'Baby Leek Flan', but when I saw the baby leeks neatly laid out in the pastry, I thought they looked a little plain and required additional colour and texture.  So I boiled some Puy lentils and spread them evenly onto the leeks.  I think the flan is much better for it. You get the sweet silky texture from the leeks, but also bite from the puy lentils.  You will also detect faint undertones from the grainy mustard. 
Its not the prettiest of flans mottled in brown pebbles, but it sure can hold its own and by that I mean you can eat it as a hand pie. Whereas some dainty and delicate hand pies would just fall apart. Its good cold. I think it would be good to take to work, for picnics, or even for your travels.
The inclusion of puy lentils in this 'Leek and Puy Lentil Tart' has also permitted to share it with My Legume Love Affair. MLLA was founded by Susan of the Well Seasoned Cook. This month MLLA #36 is being hosted by Aqua of Served with Love.
Leek and Puy Lentil Flan
For the shortcrust pastry to line a 8 - 9 inch round tin
Serves 4 - 6
Ingredients
225g plain flour
½ teaspoon salt
125g butter
3 tablespoons water
Method
Add flour and salt to a bowl. Add the butter then rub it into the flour with your fingertips, lifting the mixture out of the bowl to incorporate as much air as possible as this will make the pastry light. Continue until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs, then add the water a little at a time and use your fingertips to press the mixture together and form a dough. Put the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead rolling out the dough, into whatever shape you want – a round, oval or rectangle. Blind bake in a hot oven at gas mark 6 for 20 minutes.
For the filling
50g puy lentils or brown lentils
1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced
2 – 3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 medium leeks, sliced or 5 – 6 baby leeks, kept whole
Salt and pepper to taste
150ml single cream or milk
1 egg
Method
When the lentils are cooked, drain. Stir in the wholegrain mustard, season to taste and set side.
Meanwhile, fry the onions and garlic in oil until translucent, then add in the leeks and sauté in pan with lid until soft, stir from time to time to prevent from sticking. If the leeks are whole, put a fork in it to check if it has been cooked through. Season to taste and turn gas off.
If the leeks are whole, gently place them length ways into the pastry case. Then evenly scatter over the mustardy lentils. If your leeks are sliced, add in the mustardy lentils and stir well to combine, then evenly spread into the pastry case.
Now whisk together the cream or milk with the egg and a little seasoning. Pour over the leeks and lentils. Bake in oven gas mark 5 for 30 – 35 minutes.

15 comments:

  1. Innovative and sounds delicious! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this sort of thing for a picnic. Would probably be good with a pickled onion! [Just need the picnic weather now...]

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! two of my favorite things...lentils and leeks...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks so pretty! And I'm sure it tastes good... (trying to imagine myself eating lentils, leeks and mustard and liking it, hehe). You always make eating vegetables sound just divine :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once again Shaheen, you have tempted me to try something that I normally would not consider. I think this looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never had flan, before!! It looks good!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your comment on my bog today. I love the wartime 'eat veg' poster on your sidebar - I have that framed in my kitchen!
    Reading through your lovely recipes, I think a pasta&spinach pie will be appearing on our table next week sometime!
    blessings x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness. I had come on here to see if I could scrounge that curried parsnip soup recipe again, but now I think I might make this instead ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Food Glorious Food.



    Thanks Mark.
    Yes we are waiting for the picnic weather now. Its been horrid up here, I hope its been much better where you are.


    Thanks Teresa.



    Thank you Sumaiyyah.
    I'm glad this tart is having the desired effect on you :)


    Thank you Duchess_declutter.
    I'm so pleased to read your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Jess.
    I hope you get to try some. Its a lighter variation of quiche but normally without the cheese.


    Thank you Angela for repaying the compliment and then for your lovely comment.
    I am envious that you have the poster framed in your kitchen. I really hope you enjoy the
    Spinach Pasta Pie. Also a heartfelt Thank you so much for becoming a follower of my blog. Its very kind of you. I am always humbled whenever someone chooses to follow.


    Hello there stranger - green ink.
    Your welcome to scrounge the curried parsnip soup recipe or any other you wish. I do hope your keeping well x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your flan looks great! I like the looks of the pebbly Puy lentils on top and I'm sure it tastes fantastic too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an extraordinary idea to put lentils in a tart! It gave me instantly a crazy idea of a tart with lentils and bacon... I must put it down somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Sally.
    We thoroughly enjoyed it. I would def. make it again!


    Thank you Sissi.
    Not a craszy idea at all, try it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great flan, I think the colour combination looks very very appealing. Leek alone would be far too pale :)
    Since it can be easily veganized, I hope I can make it very soon; saw some new leeks in the shop.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Torwen.
    The puy lentils do give it both texture and flavour. Good to read your going to be making a vegan version of it.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You