Saturday, 18 June 2011

Lemon Thyme Almond Tart

The herb Lemon Thyme is growing quite well in my garden, even its flowers are eager to come out.  Though to appreciate its gently lemony scent, you have to brush the palm of your hand on its unruly hairdo. In comparison to the common thyme used in savoury dishes which is intense in flavour, lemon thyme is much gentler.  I haven't used Lemon Thyme very much in cooking, and never in desserts, but I knew this was going to change this weekend.  I have seen recipes where the lemon thyme was folded into the shortcrust pastry, both for flavour and visual effect.  I had thought of doing the same, but then decided to add a little to the Lemon Almond filling to achieve the same impact.   

If your like me and not overly keen on tangy and sharp desserts, then this Lemon Tart will please you.  The sharpness in this Lemon Thyme Almond is softened by the lightness of ground almonds and the pastry was light and flaky.
I am submitting a slice of this Lemon Thyme Almond Tart to Winnie from Healthy Green Kitchen for this week’s Weekend Herb Blogging (WHB) #288. WHB is overseen by Haalo from Cook Almost Anything.
Lemon Thyme Almond Tart
Serves 6 - 8
For the Rich Shortcrust Pastry
170g plain flour
a pinch of salt
100g unsalted butter
1 medium egg yolk
Cold water, to combine
For the Lemon Thyme Almond Filling
2 medium egg
160g icing sugar
Juice and zest of 4 unwaxed lemons
90g unsalted butter, melted
70g ground almond
1 -2 teaspoon lemon thyme, stripped from the tiny stalk
Preheat oven to gas mark 4.
For the Rich Shortcrust Pastry
Sift the flour with the salt into a large bowl.  Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.  Mix the egg yolk with 2 tablespoons water and add to the mixture.  Mix to a firm dough.  Chill, wrapped for 30 minutes before using. 
Roll out to line a 9 inch round fluted tin.  Blind bake and allow to cool.
For the Lemon Thyme Almond Filling
Beat the eggs and icing sugar together until fluffy.  Gently mix in the rest of the ingredients.  Pour the lemony mixture into the blind baked pastry case and bake in the oven for 25 minutes, until the filling has set and is just beginning to turn golden on top.  Allow to cool and serve at room temperature.  Adapted from Bill Sewell's Food From The Place Below. 


  1. Mmm, this tart sounds wonderful!!

  2. It is great to read and learn a bit more about you! Eartha Kitt??? really? he!he!
    I think your name is divine! Your grandparentsdid well by choosing it!
    I love your South Park avatar chef! ;-)

    Why am I so hungry when I visit your blog???

  3. This looks very good. I have lemon thyme in my garden. I generally use it to flavour a roast chicken, had not thought to use it in a sweet recipe!
    Thanks for sharing

  4. omy goodness..looks very delicious..
    first time here..awesome space you have..nice presentation..
    Am your happy subscriber now..:)
    do stop by mine sometime..
    Tasty Appetite

  5. Wonderful idea! Finally I know what to do with lemon thyme. I see the seeds in my shop every year and never buy them, maybe it's not too late yet?

  6. I love the sound of that lemon tart. How long do you think it will last after baking? We are hoping to have a bbq at the beach for my Mr's 50th birthday. I want to take some puds to feed the hordes. Was thinking of taking some brownies and choc meringues and the tart would be lovely too BUT I have to make everything on Thursday night(!) as we are out all day on Friday and won't have time Sat morning. M x

  7. Thanks Jess.

    Thank you so much Patricia.

    Thank you Bridget.

    Thanks Jay.
    Nice to make your acquaintance.

  8. Thanks Scarlett.

    Thank you Martin and Amy.

    Thank you Sissi.
    Its a wonderful herb to have in the garden growing in pots; and of course you can always use it in savoury dishes.

    Thank you Vintage Jane.
    I actually think this tart tastes better a day later - especially chilled. Its good for 4 days. I'd only be nervous as the toppign is tender for transportation but if packed well - I am sure it will be fine.

    Wishing your Mr - a Happy 50th birthday.

  9. Your tart looks wonderful; thank you so much for submitting it to WHB 288!

  10. Lemon thyme is such a lovely, quaint name for a herb. I can actually imagine what it tastes like from the two words. The tart looks lovely!

  11. Thank you Sumaiyyah Abidah.
    It really is light and lovely :)


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You