Wednesday, 29 June 2011

Black Buckwheat and Blackcurrant Pancakes

Yesterday it was soba noodles, today I am showcasing Black Buckwheat pancakes.  What these two recipes have in common is that they are both made with buckwheat flour.   

I had considered making some savoury crêpes with my Black Buckwheat flour, but then I was reminded of the remaining blackcurrants in my fridge and the crêpes became a sweeter variation.  But hey this is me, I changed my mind yet again, after seeing an American style pancake recipe on blogosphere.
As I cooked these little pancakes, the blackcurrants burst oozing out its juices and the purplish grey colours of the buckwheat flour shimmered.  Its hard to describe, so I guess this is my way of saying to you is make some and you'll see what I mean.  In relation to the flavour -  these buckwheat pancakes were not particularly sweet, but tart from the sharpness in the blackcurrants.  The twang in the blackcurrants certainly complimented the bitter and nutty undertones of the buckwheat.  By the way did you know that buckwheat is actually a herb, not a cereal grain?!

 These Buckwheat Blackcurrant pancakes were too sharp for me to eat on their own, so I drenched my pancakes in a little agave syrup, but honey will do also.
I had submitted a waffle recipe containing black buckwheat last month to the Breakfast Club, I thought I would do so again.  I am submitting this recipe to the Breakfast Club event #12. The Breakfast Club was initiated by Helen of Fuss Free Flavours. The challenge for June is to create a vegetarian breakfast containing berries.  It is being hosting by Nayna of Simply Food.
Updated 20 July 2011: For a vegan alternative to these pancakes check out Elise's version here on her blog No Thanks, I'm Vegan.
Black Buckwheat and Blackcurrant Pancakes
Makes about 12 - 16
160g (Black) Buckwheat flour
140g plain flour
3 tablespoon caster sugar
2 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1medium egg
¾ pint milk
225g - 250g fresh or frozen blackcurrants
In a large bowl, sift together the buckwheat flour, plain flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk together the oil, egg and milk.  Then whisk the wet mixture into the dry mixture until well combined. Then gently fold in the blackcurrants. 
Heat a large frying pan over medium heat and coat gently with a little olive oil. For each pancake, pour two tablespoons of  batter into the pan.  Cook until little bubbles form on the top of the pancake (a bit like crumpets), then flip over and cook the other side for 2-3 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter.  Enjoy as soon as possible. Adapted from Good to the Grain by Kim Boyce.


  1. I must say..these are perfectly beautiful buckwheat pancakes..uniform and a lovely golden with the blackcurrants studding them. mmmmm.

    and no...I did not know buckwheat was an herb...really????

    currant shrubs are out of control here..;-) Must really learn how to prune them!

    More photos of your allotment soon I hope.

  2. Thankyou for this lovely and healthy breakfast pancake.

  3. Thanks for this, Shaheen. I'm a real buckwheat fan (and add increasing amounts to my daily bread). If my new blackcurrant bush comes good I'll be making these!

  4. They look so yummy! I made pancakes yesterday..,your looks healthier!
    love your recipes!

  5. Thank you Gardeningbren.
    Hand on heart, they are not that 'perfectly round' but they tasted good - warm - not so much cold.

    Glad my blog taught you something today :)

    Also enjoy your currants - they freeze beautifully too!

    We are driving down South again tomorrow or at the weekend to see D's mother again, of course we will also drive via Wales to see my parents and the allotment plot, so hopefully more photographs of progress of the work there to share.

    Thank you Nayna of simply food.
    Its my pleasure, really.

  6. Thank you Mal.
    I do hope your blackcurrant bushes reward you this year and that the birdies don't get them.

    I've yet to try buckwheat in bread. I see it on my to make list in the very near future. PS May be made by a bread machine of course!

    Thank you Andrea.

  7. They look gorgeous, and the thought of drenching them in syrup makes me happy!

  8. Thanks Nic,
    Its always lovely to hear from you on my blog.

  9. Shaheen, thank you for your lovely comment about my lovely "new" sewing machine. Certainly helps with the old hand, eyes & feet co-ordination, but I'm getting there

  10. I'm not very familiar with buckwheat so this was a nice introduction. The pancakes look delicious!

  11. Thanks Kari,
    If you followed the bold Black Buckwheat flour link there is more info. The buckwheat in the pancakes was very distinct.

  12. Hi,
    I saw these on your blog when you first posted and got round to making a vegan 'cream cheese' version today! They were super yum!
    I'll link back to here if I write about them. Thank you for the inspiration!
    Elise x

  13. Thanks Elise.
    Oh I am so pleased and am looking forward to seeing your vegan version.
    If you do post it on your blog, I will link this recipe to your vegan version too.

  14. Thank you sooo much for linking to my blog, and for the delicious inspiration. x


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You