Monday, 27 June 2011

The Millenniums Oyster Mushroom 'Calamari'

I very rarely eat out, as I am quite happy and content to cook at home.  However, there times when I wish to be sitting in modest surroundings; marvelling at an inventive and eclectic menu; then indulging in some visually stunning gourmet haute vegetable cuisine, followed by a dreamy decadent fruity dessert. One of the places I would love to dine at is The Millennium Restaurant in San Francisco described as a mecca for those seeking gastronomic thrills, it really does sound extraordinary.

Until that day comes, I am happy in the knowledge that I can attempt to recreate some of the extraordinary vegetarian cuisine served there in my own home in the West of Scotland, as I am fortunate to have both books from the restaurant -The Millennium Cookbook and The Artful Vegan
These Oyster Mushroom 'Calamari; were truly, truly succulent, no wonder they are a firm favourite at the Millennium Restaurant.  I could have easily eaten more than my fair share.

At the Millennium they serve these Oyster Mushroom Calamari over a mound of kimpira (Japanese stir-fried burdock and carrots) - sounds delicious. I did search for fresh burdock at the Chinese supermarket in Glasgow, but couldn’t seem to find any.  So I just had to enjoy these with the wasabi cream and kecap manis, it was more than plenty to satisfy this greedy girl.
I am thankful to both Eric Tucker and Alison Bagby, General Manager at The Millennium Restaurant in San Francisco who have kindly granted me permission to share this recipe and the recipe for Spicy Fennel Seitan Sausages as previously posted with my readers. 
Millenniums Oyster Mushroom 'Calamari'
Serves 4
Ingredients
½ cup/75g rice flour
½ cup/ 65g corn flour
¼ cup/35g sesame seeds
2 teaspoons Japanese or Korean chilli powder, or 1 ½ teaspoons sweet paprika plus ½ teaspoon cayenne powder
1 ½ teaspoon salt
16 oyster mushrooms
1 cup/250ml soy milk
Vegetable or rapeseed (also known as rapeseed) oil for frying
Serve with:
Wasabi cream, kecap manis
4 – 6 Spring onions, sliced
2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted
2 teaspoons black sesame seeds, toasted
Method
Set up a dredging station by combining the flours, sesame seeds, chilli powder and salt in one bowl and placing the soy milk in a second bowl. Fill a wok or a wide pan with ½ inch oil and heat over medium high-heat until shimmering but not smoking. Test the oil with a piece of bread; it is hot enough when the bread floats to the surface and becomes golden brown in 30 seconds of less. Dredge each mushroom in the soy milk, and then in the flour mixture, and fry in batches of 6 to 8 mushrooms for 1 ½ minutes, or until the mushrooms are golden brown and float to the surface. Be careful not to crowd the pan. Flip the mushrooms after about 45 seconds, midway through the cooking. Drain well on paper towels.
To serve: Drizzle 2 tablespoons of the wasabi cream and 2 tablespoons of the kecap manis around the mushroom stack and sprinkle with spring onions and toasted sesame seeds. Or if your rather impatient like me, just tuck in!

This recipe is from The Artful Vegan by Eric Tucker with Bruce Enloe and Desserts by Amy Pearce.

12 comments:

  1. These look very similar to the oyster mushroom 'calamari' I've enjoyed at Millennium! I hope you are able to visit San Francisco and eat at Millennium soon. We are moving away from San Francisco this week and I'm truly going to miss Millennium. Hopefully I'll also be able to successfully recreate some of their dishes at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOAH! This is super creative! And I love that it's vegan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, these mushroom calamari looks delectable :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great! Really my sort of dish :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Sally.
    For me your comment is star approval. Thank you. You are so lucky to have enjoyed meals at the Millennium! I hope to one day too.

    I hope you find some good eateries where you move; otherwise like me try and recreate some of those meals at home :)


    Thanks Tiffany.
    You'll find that a lot of the recipes on my blog are vegan. Happy eating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Jess.
    It really was delectable :D
    I'm lookign forward to making them again.



    Thanks Zoe.
    It really was delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a big mushroom fan and this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum yum yum! I can't wait to try this!! Thank you so much for getting the recipe to share.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your very welcome nothanksimavegan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I happened to make this just two days ago! It is really delicious. I packed the wasabi cream, "calamari", and kimpira into a roll for a yummy sandwich.

    Hope you make it to Millennium sometime. I've been there 4 times, probably spending some $300 there. I plan to go back as soon as I am able.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks veganplaisir.
    Sounds great in a sandwich.
    Four times - lucky you. Maybe oneday I'll get to visit the Millennium.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You