Sunday, 26 June 2011

Blackcurrant Tart

Zingy blackcurrants filled to the brim of this tart, oozing out its seductive deep red juices. 

This Blackcurrant Tart is deliciously both sweet and sharp, but it seriously needs calming down.  So if you choose to make it (and I really recommend that you do as blackcurrants are in season in the U.K), then please do accompany this tart with either ice-cream or freshly whipped cream, and then sit back and enjoy as you take a mouthful. 
Blackcurrant Tart
Serves 4 - 6
Ingredients
For the Rich Shortcrust Pastry
170g plain flour
a pinch of salt
100g unsalted butter
1 medium egg yolk
Cold water, to combine
Method for the Rich Shortcrust Pastry
Sift the flour with the salt into a large bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Mix the egg yolk with 2 tablespoons water and add to the mixture. Mix to a firm dough. Chill, wrapped for 30 minutes before using. Roll out to line a 8 - 9 inch round fluted tin.
For the Blackcurrant Tart filling
350g fresh blackcurrants, topped and tailed
125g sugar
1 tablespoon cornflour
Milk and extra sugar to glaze
Method
Preheat oven to gas mark 4.
Put the blackcurrants into a bowl and sprinkle with the sugar and cornflour. Gently turn the blackcurrants so that they all get coated with the sugar and cornflour.
Spread the blackcurrant evenly onto the pastry. Gather up pastry and either re-roll the pastry trimming in a lattice on top of the blackcurrants; Or use a lattice pastry roller (see the last photograph).  
Brush the pastry with milk and sprinkle with a little sugar. Bake in a preheated oven for 35- 40 minutes, or until the pastry is golden.
Serve warm, at room temperature or cold. 
You may also like the look of this Almond and Blackcurrant Cake.   

19 comments:

  1. I really must stop reading your blog. It is not good for my wasteline!

    Martin! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sooooo glad you stopped by my Lupus blog as now I have found yours. Your blog is beautiful and your recipes look sooooo yummy AND achievable. Some veg meals are so out there that they just don't appeal. In my family my 18yo is vegetarian so we have quite a few meatless meals each week. Recently I have totally given up meat and chicken too and fish, hubby does most of the cooking these days as I am usually too unwell and so I have been looking for NICE vegetarian meals apart from the ones we already have and yours are just the ticket!!! so lovely thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay..yet again, I am lusting after a baking tool....have not seen one of those lattice pastry cutters over here, but what a lovely job they do for the top crust! Our currants won't be ready for awhile yet...so will be back to this recipe when they are! Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, I've NEVER had blackcurrant anything before..certainly looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, I can almost taste the zingyness of berries. I also like your little pastry cutter, much easier than trying to cut it with a knife.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for commenting on my blog so that I could find yours! This tart looks fantastic and I have already bookmarked a few other recipes to try. :)

    Have a great start to the week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That lattice pastry roller looks as if it would be good in the garden too - if it were 10 times the size! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a beautiful looking tart! Blackberries are about to come into season, so I may use those instead, but I just love your lattice top -- made so much easier with the pastry roller...I really need to get me one of those! Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Martin.
    Please, please don't stop - I really do like reading fellow bloggers comments. Its makes me so happy!

    :0)


    Thank you Jennifurla.



    Linda,
    Thank you so much for repaying the compliment, and thank you so much for your very kind comment which is truly appreciated.

    You may not like my most recentl recipe though, as it does use ingreients that I don't always have in my pantry, so I hope you will forgive me. But you are right, the majority of my recipes are achieveable for the home cook.

    I hope you find lots here to inspire meals for your whole family.

    Sending warm wishes your way. Once again, thank you.



    Gardeningbren - I got this lattice roller ages ago and have barely used it. So its funny that your lusting after it. I have seen them beign sold on-line, quite reasonably priced but then you have to factor in the P&P.

    I'll pass the compliment about the photo to D, he will be pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Jess.
    Most people in th U.K know it as a cordial drink 'Ribena', but not many enjoy it fresh as its both expensive and zesty - an acquired taste.


    Thanks cityhippyfarmgirl.
    Certainly has plenty of zing.


    Thank you so much Laura.
    I hope you get to make some of the bookmarked recipes :)




    Thanks Mark.
    What a grand thought - a lattice roller for the garden too - we wish :)


    Thank you Theresa of Island Vittles.
    The blackberries in the U.K are just beginning to flower, but beofre they come into seaosn we have so much soft fruit to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ooh blimey this looks mouthwateringly good. I love the lattice. I would have it as tart as it is, I do love my blackcurrants.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks delicious, all you recipes make me hungry, even though I just had lunch! I love you blog!
    ANdrea

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Kath.
    You brave woman - I do need it with a little cream.


    Hello Andrea and Thank you for your lovely comment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Black currant once more! I still haven't tasted this year's black currants. I must urgently buy them! Today. Your tarts looks beautiful and I have just added this lattice roller to "kitchen accessories to buy" list ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Sissi.
    I know, and guess what I'll be posting another blackcurrant recipe later today :D i'm trying to enjoy them fresh, whilst in season.

    I seem to have tempted a number of bloggers to this lattice roller. Ihope you get one, I have seen them on-line at a much more reasonable price than what i paid for mine.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Did I somehow miss this post? Blackcurrants are among my top ten favourite fruits (if it's possible to have a top ten list!). Yum yum yum!!! The way the juice oozes down the sides of the tart is incredibly tempting and beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Sumaiyyah.
    This was an incrdibly 'sharp' flavoured tart. Sound like you would have enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So glad I found this recipe ... am picking raspberries and black currants today ... am making jam and this tart later this afternoon! T'will be a tasty evening in our grey cottage! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You