Saturday, 25 June 2011

Radish Leaf and Root Tart

Its supposed to be Summer, but it been raining most of June with the skies being dominated by haunting grey clouds, so to inject a little colour into our lives I made these Radish Tarts. 

Not only is it pretty, it is also frugal as I've used both the radish greens (tops) and the root.
In the past I've made the most of my turnip greens: making soups, South Asian style Turnip Greens 'Saag' and tarts, so why be wasteful with homegrown radish greens.  Eating radish greens is not new to me, as I do remember my mother making dishes with it, but its been a while. 

For those of you unfamiliar with the taste of radish greens, I would describe the flavour as bitter, a cross between nettle and watercress.  Unfortunately, the leaves on my brightly coloured radishes were a little too mature for a radish salad, but they were good enough to cook with.
I made these tarts in 4 individual tart tins, but for the recipe below I've given instructions to make one big Radish Tart that can be sliced and shared.  I also made my own shortcrust pastry, but please feel free to use store bought.

I am submitting a slice of this Thrifty Radish Tart to Chris from Mele Cotte for this week’s Weekend Herb Blogging (WHB) #289. WHB is overseen by Haalo from Cook Almost Anything.
Radish Leaf and Root Tart
For the shortcrust pastry to line a 8 - 9 inch round tin
Serves 4 - 6
225g plain flour
½ teaspoon salt
125g butter
3 tablespoons water
Method for shortcrust pastry
Add flour and salt to a bowl. Add the butter then rub it into the flour with your fingertips, lifting the mixture out of the bowl to incorporate as much air as possible as this will make the pastry light. Continue until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs, then add the water a little at a time and use your fingertips to press the mixture together and form a dough. Put the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead rolling out the dough, into whatever shape you want – a round, oval or rectangle. Blind bake in a hot oven at gas mark 6 for 20 minutes.
For the filling
About 20 radishes with green tops in tact
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced
2 – 3 cloves garlic, crushed
Salt and pepper to taste
150ml single cream or milk
1 egg
Remove the green tops from the radish, wash thoroughly and mince. Slice the radishes in half and set aside.
Heat the oil and gently fry the onions and garlic in oil until very soft, then add in the minced greens and sauté in pan with lid until soft, stir from time to time to prevent from sticking. Season to taste and turn off heat.
When cool evenly spread into the pastry case and carefully arrange the sliced radishes on top.
Now whisk together the cream or milk with the egg and a little seasoning. Pour over the radish filling.
Bake in oven gas mark 5 for 30 – 35 minutes. Enjoy warm or at room temperature.


  1. I love radishes but never cook with them! This tart looks amazing! Thanks for sharing :)

  2. I think raw radishes are too nice to cook!

  3. Excellent idea! I also like using the parts of the vegetables which are usually thrown away. I was tempted several times to put radish leaves in a soup (the French way), but finally never did. The tarts look really beautiful, I am just wondering what the cooked radish might taste like...

  4. Oooh, what a pretty looking tart, and I love your vibrant rainbow radishes (you know how I feel about multicoloured vegetables after all!)
    People are always surprised when I mention cooking radish leaves. But I really love their pepperyness & bitter tang. Mikeyfox loves them in salad, but they're a bit too coarse & hairy for me.
    Hope you're keeping well, dear friend

  5. Yay, a new way to eat radishes! Thanks.

  6. wow that is really beautiful!

  7. Thank you so much Miss Piggy Bank.
    I also wanted to say Thank you so much for becoming a follower. Its lovely to make your acquaintance.

    Thanks Charlie.
    I do like eating them raw, but sometimes a change is nice :)

    Thanks Mark.
    I agree with you, but there are only so many raw radishes I can eat :)

    Thank you Sissi.
    The cooked radish does lose its strong peppery taste and becomes much milder.

  8. Thank you Rebecca.

    Hello dearest littleblackfox.
    Thank you x Yes I do know how much you like your multicoloured vegetables :)
    Like you I find the radish leaves coarse and prickly for salads, so cooked is the nxt option.

    Thank you e.
    Please check out my previous radish recipes, they may also tempt you :) Just click on the 'riadish' label at the bottom of the post.

    Thank you Allison.

  9. Another interesting dish Shaheen. Your diet is so varied. I am afraid I cannot say the same. Must try harder!

  10. Thank you Jacqueline.
    I try to keep what we eat interesting, but I do have some recipes that I do fall back on time and time again.

  11. Your tar look delicious and amazing, love your blog my daugther is almost veggie (only eat fish) but nothing of meat or similar , so always I love new ideas for cook. Gloria

  12. Thank you so much Gloria.
    Its lovely to make your acquaintance. I hope you find lots of recipes here for your daughter.

  13. Just came across your recipe on Melle Cotte and am SO glad I did. This looks lovely and I just love the way you use the entire radish.

  14. Thank you so much Rivki.
    Its so lovely to make your acquaintance. Also Thank you so much for becoming a follower.

  15. What a lovely tart! I like the idea that you are using both the radishes and their greens in the same dish!

  16. Thank you Sweet Artichoke.
    I felt rather thrifty whilst making it too.

  17. I made these a couple of weeks ago and they are delicous, it helped me with my glut of radishes in the garden! I loved the idea of using the radish tops too as I find them too hairy in a salad. Are there other dishes I can put them in?

    1. Thank you so much for letting me know. I am so pleased you like it. I will come on over and have a nosy. I've made another dish recently with the radish tops, I hope to post the recipe later in the week, so please do come back. I agree otherwise the radish tops are a little spiky.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You