Wednesday, 1 June 2011

Indonesian Savoury Pineapple Rice

I don’t know how authentic a Indo-Malay dish this is, but I have seen a number of Thai recipes for it.  I also found a Pineapple Fried Rice recipe on Rasa Malaysia (the site where I sought inspiration for the Malaysian Back Pepper Tofu), so it must surely exist.

I was never one for blending sweet and savoury flavours, but my tastes have developed so much since leaving home for University.  It may be a strange thing to say, but the flavours in this Indonesian Savoury Pineapple Rice were reminisce of Peshwari Naan.  A Peshwari naan is a traditional recipe where the naan is stuffed with a combination of almonds, apples, cinnamon, coconut, raisins and sultanas. Its often served with spicy curries. 

Anyway back to the Savoury Pineapple rice - it had texture from the cashew nuts and coconut, flavour and colour from the peas and juicy pineapple chunks.  I liked it,  but for my own reasons would have preferred a little more spice, perhaps a little sprinkling of chilli flakes.
The recipe does advise to hollow the fresh pineapple out with leaves in tact, so it can then be served as a plate for the pineapple rice. I haven't bothered with presentation purely  because I would  have been impatient with carving process, plus I wasn't in the mood to impress, but please don't let me stop you if you wish to do this.  It will definitely have 'wowzee' visual impact.  

Ketjap manis is an Indonesian soy sauce, which is sweeter and less salty than other types. If you can’t get it, just use normal soy sauce, and add a teaspoon of brown sugar; or a dash of honey. Oh I should mention, although I've used fresh pineapple for this recipe, you can if you wish use tinned pineapples for this recipe. I also think this recipe would be good served at room temperature too. So one for the lunch or picnic basket is you so desire.
Indonesian Savoury Pineapple Rice
Serves 4
Ingredients
300g Basmati rice, cooked and set aside.
1 large pineapple,
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 onion, peeled and minced
100g whole cashew nuts, toasted under the grill
140g frozen peas, thawed
3 – 4 tablespoons Ketjap Manis
1 teaspoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons desiccated coconut, toasted under the grill
Method
Peel the pineapple, chop in half and discard the hard core. Then chop the flesh into ¼ inch pieces.
Heat the sesame oil in a wide pan, add the onion and cook until tender. Then turn the heat down, and stir in 4 – 6 tablespoons of the cooked rice together with the pineapple chunks, cashews, peas, ketjap manis and the sugar. Then stir in the remaining rice. Taste and add a little more ketjap manis if necessary. Heat until the rice has warmed up, then pile onto plates and sprinkle over the dessicated coconut.
Serve and enjoy!  Adapted from Rose Elliot's Vegetarian Supercook

26 comments:

  1. who needs a real pineapple bowl when you have the ultimate platter already. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks delicious! I have to say I've never eaten it myself, so I'll be sure to give it a try. If you ever visit Malaysia, be sure to try 'Nasi Kerabu'. It's rice which is served with lots of veggies- and yes, surprisingly I quite like it!

    'Ketjap manis' is probably what we call 'kicap manis' in Malaysia. One of my friends is rather crazy about it- she sometimes eats plain white rice with just 'kicap manis'! There has even been an incident where a bottle of the sauce exploded or something... it was quite funny ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always thought it's Thai! Love pineapple rice! Great looking dish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Hazel.
    Yeah, I guess so :)


    Thanks Sumaiyyah Abidah.
    If I should ever find myself in Malaysia, I will keep in mind 'Nasi Kerabu'. It sounds good.

    I can just about see the attraction of plain white rice with 'kicap manis'. Don't like the sound of exploding bottles though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much Rosaria.



    Thanks Food Glorious Food.
    Me too, but in this book it was identified as Indonesian. The countries are so close, so must be some cross over influences with food, a bit like Pakistan, Indian and Bangladesh.


    Thanks Nic.
    Lovely to hear from you. I do hope your well. I do come by your blog to have a nosy around.
    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm - looks and sounds delicious!
    I've been having a lovely wander around your blog and your recipes...I'm quite hungry now :)
    Great blog - I'll definitely be back...and thanks for popping in to see me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had this dish once in a Malaysian restaurant - in San Francisco! It was served in the hollowed-out pineapple skin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a bunch of leftover rice in my freezer that would be perfect for this dish! I love the combination of sweet and savory flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I think it sounds delicious and looks very impressive! I'm a big fan of sweet/savory flavor combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That rice looks so good and different! I have only ever had thai pineapple rice, so I should try this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great! Darling pineapple dish. The steps/levels of the dish are interesting. Does it have a specific purpose?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks lovely- I'm going to make this tonight as my kids love pineapple so everyone's a winner! Thanks x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much Nutty Gnome.
    I'm so pleased and delighted to read that you like my humble little blog space.



    Thanks Mark Willis.
    That's the kind of approval I like to hear. I am always nervous about writing about dishes I've not seen or had before.



    Thanks Sally.
    I hope you enjoy the combination of sweet and savory flavors of this dish.


    Thanks foodfeud.
    Ah you like your sweet/savory flavor combinations - please try the Rhubarb Curry on my blog - its absolutely wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Carissa.
    So good to hear from you. You have been missed girl.



    Thanks Denise.
    The pineapple dish is a bowl of sorts, its not big enough for fruit, so it may just be decour. I don't use it much to be honest.


    Thanks freerangegirl.
    I'd love to know how you and your kids find this dish, should you make it x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like pineapples but I don't like peeling and cutting them. It can be itchy sometime. Pineapple dip in kicap manis with chili is how I like them. Next time I buy a pineapple I would like to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Malay-Kadazan girl.
    Pineapples are a bit of a nuisance to peel, I agree. I do like the sound of the Pineapple dip in kicap manis with chili.

    ReplyDelete
  17. no wonder you didn't use a real pineapple when you have that lovely plate - I have fond memories of a similar pineapple rice dish served in half a pineapple in Thailand and always wanted to recreate it - love the sound of this one

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Johanna.
    :0)
    You know its funny the pineapple plate is getting attention, it has a couple of nicks. I've been thinking of giving it to the charity shop when we move home as its hardly used, now I may change my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This rice sounds incredible! Can't go wrong with pineapple and coconut :).

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ha that's funny, I always thought that the pineapple rice we have in hotels are something adapted from Hawaii or the like!

    As for it tasting like Peshwari Naan ( I assume that would be Indian), Indonesia and India have a long-standing relationship and Indian influences can be found in many dishes such as curries (although we much favor coconut milk more), and several kinds of noodles like Aceh noodles, which is amazing.

    My house still serves pineapple chutney (pajri) during special occasions such as Eidl Fitri.

    I really can't recall if the pineapple rice is one of the traditional dishes of one of the gazillion tribes here, I also found the same amusement reading about "Indonesian peanut fritters" which never rings a bell to me to this day, although we do fry up a lot of things and use peanuts abundantly.

    A bit on the fringe of my city in Jakarta, we have a place that sells apple fried rice too, using our special Malang apples, which tastes slightly like Granny Smith's.

    Glad the cooking went well! it looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. thank you for your kind comment on my blog, I will definitely be back to read more of yours, you have some beautiful photos and lovely dishes/recipes here

    ReplyDelete
  22. looks delicious! i love pineapple and coconut.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you so much for your lovely, interesting and amusing comment thoughtsthatdance.

    I do love the sound of your pineapple chutney (pajri). Please can you share the recipe.

    Liking the sound of the Apple fried rice too - especially as it has a sharpness.



    Thank you viv is unoriginal.


    Thank you Brandi

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You