Sunday, 12 June 2011

Blueberry Banana Muffins

After a week long break down South with family, we are back in Scotland where the grey skies welcomed us with a little drizzling of rain. 

Firstly I want to Thank each and every one of you for your kind and encouraging comments on my Words and weeds post.  I can't express how touched and Thankful I am for your supportive words, so please accept my simple heart felt Thank you.  Regarding meet mangocheeks post, I hope to share more about me as promised later this week.  I also have quite a lot to share about the new allotment in Wales, but right now I just want to lull you back sweetly.  So here is a Blueberry Muffin recipe.
Blueberries are in season right now, yet those growing in my garden are not quite ready to enjoy.  When I eventually get to move down South, there are not many plants in my garden that I will be taking with me, but I will certainly take my blueberry plant that has been happily growing in pots for the past five years or so.
These Blueberry Banana Muffins were not overly sweet, as the sweetness comes namely from the ripe bananas.  The lush dark blueberries pop in your mouth to release that tangy acidic burst of juice.
Blueberry Banana Muffins
Makes12 muffins
400g plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
60g – 80g caster sugar
125ml vegetable oil
350ml – 450ml soy milk
2 ripe bananas, mashed
2 tablespoons ground flax seed
120g blueberries (fresh or frozen)
Preheat oven to gas mark 4. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and sugar. Add the oil, mashed bananas, flax seeds and blueberries. Stir gently to combine together. Spoon into muffin cases and bake for 35 – 40 minutes. Test with a skewer to see if done. Adapted very slightly from How it all Vegan by Tanya Barnard and Sarah Kramer.


  1. Back in the comfort(-food) zone! That's the way we like it... I prefer you as the faintly-mysterious Mangocheeks. Hope the move to Wales works out OK in the end. With your encyclopaedic knowledge of food and cookery, maybe you should try for a job as a chef - or a food writer for a newspaper / magazine?

  2. Yum, that sound like a rather good Fathers Day recipe! M x

  3. Just catching up now. Very excited that you already have an allotment! I am looking forward to your photographs of it as you develop it.

  4. Muffins sound scrummy. I totally empathise with you - I too am going through major change at present in my life and just keep telling myself that it will all work out soon :-)

  5. Thanks for the recipe must try it. Good for someone like me who shouldn't eat dairy. Looking forward to seeing more of the allotment! x

  6. Mmm, fruit muffins are SO good!! I love blueberry + banana :)

  7. I love, love, love berries of all kinds- blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, name it. Unfortunately they don't grow in Malaysia (probably because of the heat) so we have to make do with the rather expensive, tinned ones. We do have bananas in abundance though, thank goodness for that!The muffins look scrumptious!

  8. Now these are my kind of muffins Shaheen!
    The icing on the cake (so to speak lol), was your description of the blueberries popping in the mouth :D)
    I like that the muffins are not too sweet tasting, receiving their sweetness from the bananas. Thank you for this recipe.

  9. We recently purchased a muffin pan, so I'll start making some delicious cupcakes soon! Yours look so elegant!

  10. Thank you so much Mark Willis.
    Yes I certainly am back in the comfort(-food) zone! I've been spoiled rotten with food at my parents, but at the same time I've missed cooking.

    The move to Wales will probably take place in the next two months. We will be putting the flat o the market this month, then its a matter of time of waiting for a sale.

    Thank you so much for such a wonderful comment, you certainly do have a high opinion of me and my knowledge of food and cookery, whereas I just think of myself as a homely cook.

    Thank you M of Vintage Jane.

    Thanks Please Do Not Feed The Animals.
    I hope you and the family are well.

    Thank you so much Jane.

  11. Thanks Mrs Bok.
    Yes its hard to believe these muffins are dairyfree.

    Thanks Jess.

    Thanks Sumaiyyah Abidah.
    I'm sorry to read that you can't grow blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, Malaysia. But its funny you mention that because when I was small my mother would buy 'exotic fruit' in tins such as mango, pineapple and papaya. I guess berries seem to be exotic in your part of the world and these fruits exotic in our part, though we get them fresh now.

    Thanks Susan.
    I think this is the kind of muffin my father would appreicate too.

    Hi Lela.
    Looking forward to seeing some of your homely cupcake and muffin recipes.

  12. I didn't know you could grow Blueberry plants in pots! I so want to get some of these growing! Do you know if you can grow reducurrant bushes in pots?

  13. Hi James,
    I learned about growing Blueberry in pots when I met someone on a composting course in Edinburgh. At the time I was just surprised that you could grow blueberries in Scotland. I did a little research and learned that you could grow them in pots, but it is recommended that you have two plants. Re: red currants, blackcurrants and white currant bushes. I have grown blackcurrants in my original plot in Scotland (the one that was burned down), but it was planted straight in the ground. The roots are deep and they like to be buried deep, so what i am saying in a round about way, is Nope, they are not for pots. If you do grow them and the berries start appearing, remember to net them, the birds will be keeping an eye on them too :) Hope this information helps.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You