Thursday, 2 June 2011

Words and Weeds

I’m beginning to feel a little disheartened on the job front; and wonder when I’ll get my foot back on the ladder of employment, especially doing what I enjoyed. I’ll still keep trying, filling in those application forms, but it does get all rather depressing when you continue to receive letters of rejection; sometimes there are no letters - all you can do is just take a deep breath, sigh and move on.

Welsh poppies growing in the West of Scotland
 With nothing keeping us in Scotland, paid employment was going to determine our new abode. Now we just have to make a firm decision of where to move, as travelling back and fro is beginning to take a toll on us mentally, physically and financially. The choice was between Essex (near D’s family) or Wales (near my family). We have decided on Wales as the rental of properties there are more within our budget. This would mean it would take us around 3 hours to travel to see D's mother, as opposed to 8 x 2 hours drive.

As we have decided to make Wales our home in the not too distant future, I decided to go on the local council website to check out the allotment sites. Waiting for an allotment could take up to a 2 years, so I thought I'd go ahead and register my interest.  I noted two allotment sites in the area that we are considering moving to.  However, as I am not a resident there yet, I had given my fathers details knowing he wouldn’t mind as he has recently got back into the flow of gardening.

Well, guess what my father got a phone call from one of the allotment secretaries. We, albeit through my father are now the owners of a brand new allotment. I’ll share more about the allotment when I get to see it, but I have been told by my father that it is a blank canvas.  Other than an apple tree, there is nothing on it, no buildings, no raised beds or plants.  Its a large piece of land on the hillside with lots of weeds and brambles. Knowing my Dad, he will have started work on it already. Oh I am so excited.


  1. Mangocheeks
    What brilliant news about the allotment and so quick too! Lucky you. Both my Grandad and Dad had allotments and I'm certain that is where I got the gardening bug lol
    Hope you get sorted with your move to Wales

  2. That is good news indeed! And you can start all over, not only at the allotment but maybe you will have better chances of getting a job there, you never know. And being close to both your families is wonderful, too!
    I hope everything will work out for you :)

  3. I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling disheartened. But Wales is a beautiful place, and you already have an allotment! That's wonderful news!
    I'm keeping my paws crossed for you, and hope that this is the beginning of better days for you, dear friend.
    With love

  4. I think Wales sounds like a great choice!

  5. I'm so sorry to hear of your difficulties with jobs and the like. That is a challenging scenario and can't do much for your self-esteem. I am excited on your behalf for the move and allotment though - and hope Wales will offer more on the job front too :)

  6. Excited - I'll bet you are! This is wonderful news indeed. Something to look forward to.

    Don't let the job issue get you down. Just keep going and have faith that the right thing will come your way... and it will.

    New beginnings. I love it!

  7. Oh, congratulations on your new allotment! Can't wait to hear more about it!

    Sorry to hear about your job troubles, I'm in a similar position. It's so difficult because so many people are applying for the same positions at the moment, I wouldn't have liked to get such a snotty letter though, how dare he not recognise your skills! pah!

    I'm pretty much certain I've been offered 2 jobs (just waiting for crb checks and references to come back) but one's casual hours so I'll never know when I'll be working until I get a phone call in the morning, and ones a 3 week temp. job in the summer, it's not really enough hours or money at all, not ideal but I'm grateful for anything at the moment! Have you tried reading some 'how to get that job' type books, I was really against reading them when people kept suggesting them to me, but they were actually really helpful.

  8. I am glad that you got the new allotment, I am sure that a job will come too, you'll see!


  9. Oh that is such good news. My situation is similar and yet different. I have started up my blog again after a year when there was a great deal of change. I have from my husband. it was such a good move - but that is another story. Anyway the point being I too am in rented accommodation. I have really enjoyed it. However, i am about to move into my own place again and that too is a blank canvas and i, like you, have lots of plans for it. as soon as i am in i shall be photographing and documenting it all.

    How soon will you be able to move. I feel excited for you!!!

  10. that is such exciting news! It will definitely make the move easier for you. Best of luck with growing a new garden - I am sure it will be good for your soul

  11. I hope a change of scenery is all it takes to turn things around quickly! Good luck with the new allotment.

  12. ooh that is so exciting about the allotment, sorry about the job front but I truly believe things happen for a reason and a fantastic job will turn up for you soon enough.

  13. That is brilliant. Now all you need is somewhere to live!!

    I hope your move goes smoothly.

    Sue xx

  14. Hi Mangocheeks, I love reading through your blog. The recipes, your thoughts, as well as links to other interesting folk. I'm delving into more vegetarian meals and your blog is most helpful. Thank you :D)
    What an exciting time lies before you... moving, a new allotment and, I'm sure, a job in the not too distant future.
    Will keep popping over with much interest.
    Cheers for now, Susan

  15. Hi mangocheeks,
    I haven't been visiting your blog as often as I like, so I missed this post and probably the one(s) where you mentioned you weren't employed at the moment. I'm trying to catch up :)

    I just wanted to say that I know how hard it can be at these times, having been there myself. Those letters, that are apparently meant to be comforting, just seem to be offensive to me.

    I don't know about you, but I spent a lot of time wishing for more time off, then I couldn't enjoy time off because I was stressed about finding work. Once I found work, I wished I had enjoyed my time off more. I guess I'm trying to say that something will come up before long and try to take a bit of time to enjoy the little things you don't get to while working full time.

    That said, it's great that you have a new allotment to look forward to! You are such a master at growing in all kinds of places that I can't wait to see what you do with your new space.

    I also agree with other posters that you would put together one delicious and beautiful cookbook. I understand that getting something published isn't a piece of vegan cake but just so you know, I would buy one (or many!) too.

    All the best to you!

  16. Wow congratulations on getting an allotment. I'm looking forward to seeing what you grow.
    On the job front. It's truly a shite time at the moment but I dohope you find something soon that leads you into new and exciting areas. I read that reply with interest - it's great to get feedback but in fact that letter didn't give you any information on what skills they were looking for that you didn't have. So I thought it was awful. Some HR bods really need a kick.

  17. I'm sorry to hear you're in that horrible job hunting space. But how wonderful that the wheels are turning to take you closer to family and a new allotment site. In a few months time you'll be glad you had knock backs in Scotland to make the decision to move South easier. All the best with firming up your plans :o)

  18. I am so very pleased to hear about your allotment. That is definitely a good sign for your new home and your future happiness. I know that a job will soon be forthcoming for you, but in the meantime having positive things like a new allotment is a very good thing. I hope the cold is soon beaten and that you find that new home soon. xx

  19. Huge hugs, don't be disheartened. Something will happen for you and you'll end up happily ensconced in a place you're meant to be.

    Essex or Wales eh! Gavin and Stacey comes to mind! Adore that show. I can poke fun seeing as I grew up in Essex :)

  20. I am so happy to hear that you will have a space for gardening when you make your move, Mango. What a dedicated gardener you are, to look for a garden first before an abode. I'm sure things will work out for you because your energy is positive. Best of luck!

  21. Sorry about the bad news on the job front. My place of work closed last year but I was very lucky to be out of work for only 3 months before landing a job that I just love. Sending good thoughts your way. And the move does sound exciting too! I think it is a wonderful omen for your new life that you have an allotment all ready and waiting for you :)

  22. I seem to have missed this post!! and your new signature ;-) How wonderfully pleased you must be to have a new exciting! a new garden full of brambles to work out any frustration. Don't worry, you will have employment soon. lucky you are to be moving there.

  23. i so relate to what you say about the job-search. i've been at it for oh too long now and no matter how much experience and degrees you have it's tough tough tough. i hope your move gets you many new, happy beginnings! such wonderful news that you already have an allotment waiting for you!

  24. This sounds like a wonderful fresh start...wishing you the best. It seems things are difficult for everyone around the globe right now. Hope the right job comes along soon, and that it will be something that makes your heart soar. xo

  25. That's great news about your allotment! I know how precious land is in the UK so that's good news alright. Look forward to seeing some photos of the progress.
    Best of luck finding some work, it can be tough going when you're in the process of looking and applying for jobs.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You