Thursday, 2 June 2011

Aubergine Tomato Relish Pasta

I know, I know some fellow bloggers are blogging new recipes from the award winning Irish Chef Denis Cotters new book For the Love of Food. I don’t have it yet, but it is on my 'cookbook wish list’.  Instead I present to you a recipe from one of his other cookbooks: Aubergine Tomato Relish Pasta.
I made this recipe way back in 2007 when my mother and nephew visited. My mother really liked it.  D was’t around for whatever reason so did not get to try any.  For me this was a reason to make it again. The firm, jet purple aubergines is chopped into lots of pieces, covered in a little oil and then roasted in the oven with a sprig of rosemary.  The rosemary gently infuses the aubergine.  It is then stirred into the tomato sauce base.  The result is one of sublime deliciousness. 

If you have any aubergine relish left over use it as a dip for tortilla chips, its also fantastic spread over crusty bread.
I am submitting this to Presto Pasta Nights #216. PPN was founded by Ruth Daniels of Once Upon a Feast and each Friday night a different host posts a roundup of pasta dishes submitted by bloggers from around the world. This week PPN is actually being hosted by Ruth.  
A lone Allium growing in the border of my garden plot. 
Aubergine Tomato Relish Pasta
Serves 2
Cook enough pasta for 2 people. I chose penne.
1 large aubergine
Olive oil
Sprig of rosemary
2 – 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
A knob of fresh ginger, grated
2 teaspoons coriander seeds, freshly ground
1 teaspoon chilli flakes or to taste
1 x 400g tinned tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon tomato puree
Salt to taste
Chop the aubergine into small cubes and put onto an ovenproof dish. Then toss them in enough olive oil to coat them. Add the whole rosemary sprig and roast in oven at gas mark 6, stirring occasionally to prevent from sticking and cook until the aubergines are browned and cooked through. Discard the rosemary stalks.
In a large pan, heat two tablespoons olive oil nda cook the onion until soft, then add in the garlic and spices. Cook for a couple of minutes. Then pour in the chopped tinned tomatoes and tomato puree. Bring it to a boil and simmer gently for 20 minutes or until the sauce is reduced and thickened. Add the roasted aubergine and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring form time to time to prevent sticking. Season with salt and then stir in the cooked pasta to coat. Serve immediately. Adapted from Paradiso Seasons by Denis Cotter.


  1. mouthwatering & delectable pasta!

  2. Any recipe with aubergine instantly captures my attention, and with rosemary too? My heart is won! :-) Thank you for reminding me to add For the Love of Food to my holidays wishlist, too! :-)

  3. Mangocheeks, have you ever considered writing your own recipe book? You must have thousands of recipes by now!

  4. i just love aubergine! your recipe looks great! i'll ry it for sure :)
    have a sweet weekend,

  5. I have a large eggplant in the frig that needs to be cooked asap... this is perfect timing. Thanks so much for the recipe I'm thinking it may be our dinner tonight (even though I made a big dish of stuffed shells last night!) Thanks again.

  6. Phew.....thank you for this recipe. I have just realised that I have planted 15 Aubergine plants in the polytunnel, so recipes to use up the forthcoming glut will be very welcome.

    I guess it could easily be frozen too, so a good all rounder for me.

    I LOVE all the allium flowers and always leave chives and a couple of leeks to go to seed so I can enjoy the flowers.

    Loving your Blog at the moment, it's just the inspiration I need. Thank you.

    Sue xx

  7. Thanks Now Serving.
    Lovely to hear from you, its been a while.

    Thank you Astra Libris - Our New Bride in the blogging community :)
    Congratulatiosn to you and Zach.

    Thanks Mark Willis.
    Your comment really does mean a lot. It has been mentioned by previous bloggers before and the thought has crossed my mind. But its a dream shared by lots of others far more accomplished and artistic foodie bloggers. I feel I am very ordinary in that respect. Its a dream that has come true for lots of bloggers, especially those that begun blogging as far as 2003; or recipes that focus on niche areas. But thank you SO much for having faith in me. Really means a lot.

  8. Thanks Justyna.
    So good to hear from you. I am so pleased that you like this recipe.

    Hi Glo.
    Wow, this recipe will be perfect for your large eggplant. I so hope you enjoy it, please let me know :)

    Thanks Sue.
    Its always, always lovely to hear form you. I hope you had a good time with your mother in/near Peebles. I've been to Peebles once, let me clarify that - I've driven through Peebles, so don't remember very much of it.

    Wow - 15 Aubergine plants - I'd be over there in a snap to snatch some off you. I never liked them when I was young, now its a different story. Please check out my other aubergine recipes, you may find them as appealing - well I hope so.

    Re freezing aubergines - Its not something I'd do, as I think it would alter the texture. But if you have experience of it, I trust you.

    I the past, i've let leeks go to seed, both for the flowers and for the bumble bees.
    Warmest of wishes as always xx

  9. I've a few blushing Rosa Biancas that are about ready, now i know exactly what i'll do with them! Looking forward to checking out your other aubergine recipes.

  10. Sounds good
    I usually make Miss Dhalls aubergine bake this will make a nice change thanks

  11. Hey Mangocheeks :-) I finally got to know your real name, do you know Google has changed it? For a minute, I thought it was a guest blogger on A2K :-) Guess what I have in the fridge? Yeah, aubergine!! Now guess what I am making tonight? :-))

  12. Just to add, I only freeze aubergines when they have been cooked as part of a dish, to tell the truth I've never tried to freeze them just sliced.....I may give it a go just to see how they react...I'll let you kow the results!!

    Have a good weekend, I'm just off for my final visit to the dreaded Mr Tesco before my Challenge starts next week.

    Sue xx

  13. What a glorious dish.... even without pasta! That said, thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights. It's always a treat when you do.

  14. Thank you Rosaria.

    Thank you so much for your comment Julie.
    I'm so envious to read of your blushing Rosa Biancas! If you look at the labels and click on aubergine, all my previous aubergine recipes should come up. Hopefully you'll find other recipes to tempt you.

    Thanks Cate
    Miss Dahls aubergine bake sounds good. I'll have to check it out sometime.

  15. Thanks Michelle.
    No accident. I finally decided to reveal my name :-)

    Please let me know how you like this recipe if you do get to make it. I'm always curious how they turn out in other peoples homes.

    Thanks Sue,
    for the clairification - I was wondering :)
    I don't know why, but in my head I can't see raw aubergines freezing well, but it would be good to know for sure, rather than assuming! So I'm lookig forward to reading of your mini experiment.

    I wish I could be like you and attempt to have a go at self suficiency (maybe oneday). I applaud and admire you for your efforts. Have you considered getting your milk from a farm shop or direct from the diaries?! Is that possible for you?!
    Good luck with the challenge.

    Thank you Ruth.
    Yes, it is a glorious dish.... even without pasta! Its alway a pleasure to participate in PPN.

  16. Wow! This looks amazing xx


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You