Monday, 4 July 2011

Aubergine, Chickpea and Coriander Salad

Here is a bowl of salad containing some slick glossy aubergines and nutty chickpeas.
Its flavours are enhanced further with chilli flakes and coriander.  And to appeal to the eyes, dressed up further with some edible flowers, in this case pansies.  Pansies are also known as Heartsease.
This salad is delightful to eat on its own, but served warm drenched in some good homemade tomato salsa and then stuffed it into a pitta bread, its even better.
 Some unexpected pansies growing in a garden pot. I am thinking of crystallizing some for cake decoration.
Aubergine, chickpea and coriander salad
Serves 4
2 large aubergines, cut into chunks
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 x 400g can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 teaspoon lemon juice
large bunch of coriander, stalks removed
Preheat oven to gas mark 6.  Coat the aubergine chunks in 2 tablespoon olive oil and place on a tray and bake for 20 - 30 minutes, until golden. 
In a large bowl, add the remaining oil, lemon juice, chickpeas, salt, garlic and coriander.  Then stir in the aubergine.  Stir well to combine.  Recipe adapted from Nadine Abensur's Cranks Light.


  1. This looks lovely - perhaps I can use this recipe to get my other half to eat aubergine without complaining....

  2. I'm looking for ways to use my garden cilantro, so this will be delicious. Pansies are so sweet and colourful, but I'll substitute nasturtiums since I don't have pansies :-(. Chickpeas and cilantro go so well together. Thanks for more great inspiration!

  3. Oooh, I love heartsease, it's the first thing I ever managed to grow (when we moved from the narrowboat and into our first house when I was 7, I was given a corner of the garden of my very own, and grew heartsease & sweet violet), those flowers always make me smile!
    This looks like a delicious recipe, and I'll be trying it this week. I sometimes make something similar with a few chopped sun dried tomatoes & a pinch of cumin thrown in - very addictive!
    Much love, dear friend!

  4. I had no idea pansies were edible! So pretty too. The dish sounds great, but you're right - tomato salsa makes everything better.

  5. This has all the ingredients of summer...lemon, aubergine, coriander...and Johnny Jump ups...that's what we call them here...))) Delightful mini pansies that seed themselves about!

    A good, hearty and easy meal...lots of color and flavor!..heartsease...

  6. I've never though about combining aubergine and chickpeas before, which is a bit silly, because now I consider it, I bet they go really well! I think I'll keep the flowers just for looking at though :)

  7. That looks yummy! I love chickpeas! the flowers on top are so pretty too!

  8. Beautiful. Edible flowers are such a treat and gone too quickly.

  9. Brenda,
    I really like coriander, it was one herb my parents grew loads of and threw it into almost every savoury dish as a garnish.

    I'm envious that you have nasturtiums, I have some in my garden but I can't see them for the potatoes.

    Hello littleblackfox,
    How wonderful to read that heartsease and sweet violets were the first plants that you grew. I am so happy to bring back some memories for you that made you smile!

    My husband loved this recipe with the salsa moreso, than plain. I do like the sound of your version with sun dried tomatoes and cumin - will be sure to give it a go as I like cumin too!
    Much love to you to my dear friend.

  10. foodfeud said...,
    It surprising what you learn when you start growing your own.

    This salad smothered in salsa was my husbands preferred version, so I totally recommend it.

    Hello there Gardeningbren,
    You made me smile with the Johnny Jump ups...I am guessing by process of elimination that you are referring to the chickpeas :)

    I was delighted with the pansies, as I don't recall them last year. You got to love there name - hearts ease.

    Hi Greedy Rosie.
    My mother often makes a aubergine and chickpea curry, but I have to admit these two in a salad was new to me too.

    I understand you re the flowers, they are a little to pretty to eat :0)

  11. Thank you Sooz.

    Thanks sarah.

    Thank you Kath.

  12. omg! an absolutely gorgeous salad!

  13. i had no idea pansies were edible. that salad is almost too pretty to eat. almost! :)

  14. Thanks Sara,
    It was news to me too - until of course I started growing my own.

  15. That's a really great combination of ingredients. Eggplant and chickpeas ... how didn't I see how those would work together so well :) I love fresh coriander too, and those flowers are so pretty. Thanks for stopping by my site - glad you did you have a lovely site - am joining - would love it if you followed mine too!

  16. Not only does your recipe sound delicious, your photos are outstanding too!

    Peace :)

  17. Your recipes are so unique and look delicious! I'm glad you visited my blog and now I've found yours. Excellent!

  18. those little pansies are so pretty and look lovely in your plate - not to mention that yummy recipe. Love eggplant and never really know what to do with it, so will have to try this one.

  19. Delicious sounding recipe + gorgeous photos!!

  20. Shaheen....this is a beautiful salad! And the of my favorite outdoor flowers, are so pretty and really make that salad look special! Being that I have a dessert blog...I would love to know how you will sugar the pansies for garnish! Thanks for sharing this gorgeous and healthy recipe! : )

  21. This looks so delicious! I'm not a big fan of aubergine, I only like it cold in vinaigrette, but I adore chickpeas and love the idea of using pansies as edible decoration, I have never tried that! Thanks for the lovely idea.

  22. Thank you Cedise.
    I was never a big fan of aubergine and its only over the years that I've come to like it. I hope you will come to like it as much as me in time.

    Also thank you so much for becoming a follower it is very kind of you.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You