Sunday, 28 August 2011

Banana Blondies Go Nuts

I've had Brownies many times in my life, but never a Blondie!

It was D's first time too.
Well these blondies so named as they are made with white chocolate, instead of dark chocolate were creamy gold and squidgy soft like fudge .  I have to admit I found them extremely sweet.  Still I ate them, namely enjoying the milky nuttiness from the chunks of Brazil nuts and hint of banana.  As for D he liked them, but not as much as he likes the traditional chocolate brownies.  So I don't think I'll be making them again in a hurry.  Our preference is definitely for the dark chocolate brownies.

I also found them quite hard to photograph, still here they are for you to get an idea of what they look like.
Brazil Nuts and Banana Blondies
Makes 12
Ingredients
100g unsalted butter
200g good white chocolate
2 bananas
225g caster sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
200g plain flour
¼ teaspoon baking powder
75g Brazil nuts, roughly chopped
Method
Preheat oven to gas mark 5.  Line the base and sides of a 8 inch square baking tin with parchment paper.
Melt the butter and white chocolate in a double boiler or heatproof bowl over a pan of hot water, making sure the bowl is not touching the water.  Take off the heat.
Mash the bananas in another bowl and mix in the sugar, the egg and vanilla.  Add the melted chocolate mixture and stir until smooth.  sift in the flour and baking powder over the mixture, then fold in, together with the chopped nuts. 
Scrape the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 40 - 45 minutes until golden on top, with a slight wobbly middle.  Test with a skewer: its should come out with a crumb, not gloopy.  Place the tin on a wire rack and leave to cool until cold. This recipe is adapted from Tamasin Day-Lewis who in turn adapted it from Dan Lepard. 

13 comments:

  1. I think they look really good! I love both brownies and blondies, but I especially like the latter because the recipes I've followed used brown sugar- which I love. I think you did a good job with the photo, so don't worry ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great. I made Blondies recently and enjoyed them very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just discovered your blog and loved having a browse through your posts.
    I am always looking to bake something new and those blondies sound just the thing. Trouble is my other half and son don't really have a sweet tooth!!! ;D Yeah right...
    I did bake some lemon brownies the other week and they were a real winner.
    If I may I'd also like to ask permission to copy your conversion table for my blog, because I'm always looking at the different measures and changing them, so if you say yes I'll have more time to bake =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the banana and nut combination, but am also not a big fan of white chocolate (actually, I'm not a fan at all!). So I suppose I should stick with banana bread, but this has prompted me to want to make that :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blondies were something else I discovered when we moved to Vancouver. So many things you have over there that just don't make it here, and a few visa-versa; like the English Muffin...These look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never had a blondie either, but they look amazingly tasty!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Sumaiyyah.
    I just think its very yellow. Most of my food has been very yellow recently ;)


    Thanks Janice.


    Hello Neesie Natters.
    Lovely to make your acquaintance.
    Funny to read that your other half and son don't really have a sweet tooth, as my husband has a bigger sweet tooch then me!
    Wow your lemon brownies sound fab.
    Of course you may copy your conversion table for your blog, thank you for asking - its most appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kari.
    Likle you I like the banana and nut combination, but the white chocolate was just too much, or maybe I am just a wimp. It was ridiculously sweet :)


    Thanks Adam and Theresa.
    Blondies are relativley new to the U.K.


    Thanks Karen.
    If yu make these, be sure ready for the sugar burst!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Scented Sweetpeas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think that I've ever tried blondies before either. I love the idea of them being nutty, banana-ry and fudgy but I, too, prefer less sweet desserts so perhaps the normal ones are for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Hazel,
    I have to agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haven't tried your recipe, but this month's Sainsbury's Magazine has a very similar recipe, I made them last night and O M G it's the lovliest I've ever tasted!!!

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You