Thursday, 21 April 2011

Wild Garlic Macaroni Cheese

My bag of foraged wild garlic is slowly beginning to shrink in size, but not without a few more dishes.

Todays offering is Wild Garlic with Macaroni Cheese.  You can bulk up traditional Macaroni cheese with a number of green vegetables such as broccoli and spinach.  Here I chose the seasonal and abundant Wild Garlic.   The wild garlic imparts a little chivey flavour and adds texture to what could sometimes be a sloppy dish.  I especially liked the topping, not just because of the golden cheese, but also the crisp crunch coming from the baked wild garlic leaves.
I am submitting this to Presto Pasta Nights. For those of you who are new to Presto Pasta Nights, or PPN as it is fondly known was the brainchild of Ruth Daniels of Once Upon a Feast and each Friday night a different host posts a roundup of pasta dishes submitted by bloggers from around the world. There are a few simple rules, but the most important one of them is that the dish must include some sort of noodle.  This weeks PPN#210 is being hosted by Three Cookies.
Wild Garlic Macaroni Cheese
Serves 4 - 6
75g butter
1 medium onion - peeled and chopped
75g plain flour
800g milk
200g-225g cheddar cheese, grated
salt and ground pepper
100g wild garlic, washed, blanched and shredded
250g macaroni pasta
Melt butter in a saucepan, add the chopped onions, cook gently until soft.
Stir in the flour and cook for a minute, then gradually add the milk, whisking all the time and then whisk in about three-quarters of the cheese and allow to melt into the sauce.  Sir in the wild garlic and season to taste.
Cook the pasta according to packet instructions with a teaspoon  of salt until soft.
Drain, then stir into cheese sauce and gently transfer into an ovenproof dish.
Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and bake in oven Gas mark 6 for 20 - 30 minutes until golden.  This dish can be made in advance and reheated.


  1. I LOVE macaroni cheese! The Cheesier the better!! The addition of the wild garlic sounds lovely and I must try this recipe - keep 'em coming - I really love all your recipes :)

  2. This looks so tasty! Great post!

  3. Time to go foraging again MC. I freeze my fresh small bulbs of garlic, I wonder if this wouldn't freeze just as well? So pleased you posted the photo of it growing wild...and will hope to see the blooms open in a vase.

    Garlic and that's a winning combination!

  4. I love reading your is so wonderful and recipes are so lovely and close to nature....I grow up in Europe so seeing units in grams and liters make me really happy somehow....Nice to meet you:)

  5. Thanks Ruth.

    Lovely to make your acquaintance Jeff Hickmott.
    And Thank you for you comment :)

    Thanks yummychunklet.

  6. Thanks you Gardeningbren.
    I was wondering if wild garlic would freeze well, but I am not going to get the opporutnity. You see like my garden plot, kitchen and flat - my freezer is small. It measures about 3 foot by 2 feet wide. I'm hoping to make some wild garlic butter which will freeze and pesto.

    The wild garlic flowers have opened up today, so i hope to post them in the next few days.

    Hello Wanderingspoon.
    Thank you so much for your kind comment.
    Its nice to meet you too.
    I'm not that great with measurements understandig only American cups and British grams and litres.

  7. Wild garlic, how lovely, we don't have it here in NZ, only onion weed!

    Happy Easter


  8. Happy Easter Alessandra.
    Perhaps wild garlic goes by a different name in NZ?!

  9. Bellissimo il tuo blog e la ricetta è fantastica!!!! Grazie della visita
    Happy Easter

  10. This sounds absolutely delicious, where did you get the wild garlic from, a shop or somewhere near your house?
    Thanks for sharing this!
    I wanted to let you know that I have tagged you in an Easter menu tag game, I was invited by the cajunlicious blogger. Please visit my blog to find out more and to participate.
    All the best, Natasha from the Rambles and Shambles blog!

  11. Delicious food and beautiful blog!
    Happy Easter!

  12. Thank you so much Lady Boheme.
    I hope have a good day.

    Thank you Natasha Green ★
    I foraged for it in the west of scotland. It growing around damp woody areas at the moment and is good wild free food if you can get it. I've seen it being sold for £3.00 a pop, which I think is extortionate.

    Thanks for letting me know know that you've tagged me. I will be in touch.
    Warm wishes.

    Thank you so so much MONONOKE KITCHEN.
    Happy Easter to you too!

  13. Wow! This looks great! I do like macaroni cheese and I can only imagine the wild garlic makes it even better! I will have to find a good spot to get some, I am terrible at foraging!x

  14. Thanks Zoe.
    It took me a while to get my head round foraging, now I just look for the opportunity.

  15. Well, I have plenty of chives (various sorts) in my garden, but no wild garlic. Don't think it grows here. You could send me a start and we'll see.

  16. Hi Claudia,
    The wild garlic does have a chivey oniony flavour, its the smell thats garlicky. It may be known as ramps or ramsonss where you are. I'm sorry I didn't quite understand the last sentence.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You