Thursday, 28 April 2011

Wild Garlic and Feta Quiche

Well the sunshine is blazing and the sky is azure blue.  And a slice of this 'Wild Garlic and Feta Quiche' is the kind of food I want to be lunching on, whilst working in the outdoors, in this case my garden.  It can be made well in advance, and be enjoyed warm or cold.
I'd like to say that I am actually doing a bit of gardening, such as sowing seeds, digging the earth or cutting the long green grass.  Sadly that is not the case.  Instead we have been going the garden shed 'spring cleaning'.  Building piles of things to go to their new homes: some for the charity shop, some that can be recycled, some that will come with us when we move later this year and some for the bin.  D mentioned perhaps having a 'boot sale'.  I don't know whether he was joking or being serious, but its a real possibility, especially as we can make a few pounds with some of our unwanted goods (and let face it we haven't had any money coming in the past two months). 
This Wild Garlic and Feta Quiche recipe is based on the Wild Garlic, Potato, Feta and Pine Nut Quiche I made last year.  Updated: 22/05/2012: Fellow blogger Sylvan of Sylvan Somethings made a variation of this tart, follow this link.  She also has a lovely recipe for Wild Garlic Mousse to share.
Wild Garlic and Feta Quiche
Serves 4 - 6
Follow a reliable shortcrust pastry recipe that will cover a 8 – 9 inch tart tin and blind bake according to instructions.
For the filling
100g – 150g wild garlic leaves, roughly chopped
100g feta cheese, crumbled
4 medium eggs
150ml single cream
Pepper to taste
For the pastry
Preheat oven to gas mark 4.
For the filling
Combine the feta and wild garlic. Beat the eggs lightly with the cream. Season lightly with pepper. Layer the wild garlic and feta in the pastry shell and then pour in the egg mixture, allowing it to seep down through the layers. Bake the tart for 30 minutes, until it is set and the top is lightly coloured.


  1. You should write a recipe book - that would earn you a few bob. "The Wild Garlic Cookbook" or something. I'm sure it would be popular!

  2. How much wild garlic can you possibly have left!? :)

    Just wanted to say hi and let you know I still enjoy every post! Hope all is well across the pond.

  3. That looks very nice. I'm in a serious sulk, I have scoured the fields and hedgerows and all over the farm but cannot find ANY wild garlic....I think you must have it all!!

    It's a good idea to have a 'boot sale', we are in the middle of getting rid of allsorts at the moment, it's amazing what people will buy!

    Sue xx

  4. I love all of your creations.

  5. How delicious. Can't wait to prepare this for my family.

  6. I am so thankful you stoped by for a visit. I love your blog and can't wait to try some of your recipes...this is right up my alley.

  7. This sounds delicious. I have what may be a stupid question, but where do you find wild garlic? Is it literally wild or do you grow it in your garden? And is there difference between wild garlic and the kind I buy at the store, taste-wise? I should probably scroll through your history, as you may have already answered these questions...

  8. I just found part of my answer in you Wild Garlic Girl post. I am going to have to google and see if it grows wear I live...

  9. I would love to have a piece of this lovely Quiche for supper :) Aroma from wild garlic must be so tempting...what an elegant presentation!!!!

  10. Thank you so much for commenting on my blog as it led my here! Your recipes look wonderful and are exactly the things I've been hoping to try. I look forward to reading through them all!

  11. The quiche looks wonderful! I am so curious to try wild garlic leaves... I have no idea where to get them. When the summer farmers markets start, I'll be looking for them :-)
    Thanks for the recipe!

  12. This looks divine! Best of luck with the boot sale and move. Will you be leaving Scotland?

  13. Thank you so much Mark.
    This has been mentioned to me before and I have to admit it is a thought that goes through my mind, so who knows maybe oneday :) But I dare not have Wild Garlic in the title as there is already a very popular cookbook out with that in the title and people would say one was jumping on the bandwagon. Look at this link for a start. A book called Vegan with a Veangeance and then another book came out called Vegetarian with a Vengeances. Read this and you may get my drift.
    PS I bet you weren't looking for this as a response back :0 )

  14. Thanks Again Mark!

    Thank you so much WestChesterGarden.
    Always a pleasure to hear from you. All my foraged wild garlic is gone and i won't be foragign for anymore, so one more recipe to go and thats me for this year :)

    Things are all change for me at the moment, but i am handling it on a daily basis.

    Oh Sue,
    I know how you feel as I felt this way when I couldn't find sloe berries (and when I did someone had already nicked the majority of them).
    If you lived near by I would tell you exactly where to go, I am hardly going to keep it a secret when there are masses of wild garlic to go around. I am more than happy to share.

    The 'boot sale' is just an idea at the moment. I think we would need to fork out for one of those collapsable tables (I did have one, but it got burned in the allotment fire) before we go actually ahead.

  15. I agree with the wild garlic cookbook idea! This quiche should definitely make it in!

  16. Thank you so much Jennifurla.

    Thank you missbmckay. I hope your family enjoye this dish.

    Thank you so much for repaying the compliment Tracey. It is very kind of you and I do really appreciate it. I am so pleased to read that you like my recipes.

    Thank you so much Shannon.
    NOt a stupid question at all - Although you can buy wild garlic (sold at an extortionate price) I foraged for my Wild Garlic recipes.

    I hope you know what is it now and what it looks like as i have written about it in the previous posts with close up photographs of the leaves, flowers and its other names such as ramps, ramsons.

  17. Thank you HGourmet Foodie.
    The flavour of the garlic becomes mild when cooked.

    Thank you so much for repaying the compliment cpcable. I was so delighted to read your lovely comment.

  18. Thank you Cooking Rookie.
    The aroma of wild garlic leaves is strong, but its flvour is mild. Hope you find some to try :-)

    Thank you e.
    Yes, we will be leaving Scotland. We haven't got a date yet but its either going to be late Summertime or Autumn.

  19. Thank you for your reply :) The past posts did help, although they left my mouth watering....

  20. You are so welcome Shannon.

  21. Thanks for dropping by my blog.
    I really like the look of this, I'll have to look out for wild garlic now.

  22. Thank you for repayig the compliment little blue mouse.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You