Thursday, 14 April 2011

Parsnip chips with Spring Onion Pancakes

These oven roasted parsnip chips are simple and quite tasty. You do have to be careful baking them, as a little too long in the oven and they could easily end up being charred.
These savoury Spring Onion Pancakes reminded me of of my mothers methi aka fenugreek parathas - a buttery, crispy, flaky pan fired flat bread often stuffed with spicy vegetables - that we as children would often have for brunch at weekends. So when we had two of these Spring Onion Pancakes left over, I knew exactly what I'd do with them. I reheated them in the oven the following day for brunch and served them simply with a fried egg. Though these Spring Onion pancakes are not that tough to make, they do take a little practice, so don't be too hard on yourself if the first two aren't perfect, they will still be good to eat.
Oven Roasted Parsnip chips
Serves - Depends on how many parsnips you want to roast
Parsnips, peeled and if necessary remove the woody core
Olive oil
Sea salt
Heat oven to gas mark 7. Cut the parsnips length ways into eight long pieces. Spread out on a large baking sheet and add enough olive to lightly coat the parsnips and sea salt to taste.
Bake on middle shelf  for 20 - 25 minutes, turning after 10 minutes, until golden brown and tender. Serve immediately.
Spring Onion Cakes
Serves 4 - 6
275g plain flour
200-250ml hot water (you may not need to use all of it)
8 Spring onion, finely sliced
1 teaspoon salt
Sunflower or vegetable for brushing and shallow frying
Pour flour into a large heat proof bowl. Add a little hot water at a time and stir vigorously. The flour will start to form small lumps. Continue to add water until it forms a soft dough, it should not be sticky.
Remove the dough to a floured surface and knead until smooth. Put back in the bowl and cover with a damp cloth and leave for 30 minutes.
Divide into four or six pieces.  Take a piece at a time and roll into a ball. Using a rolling pin, roll it into a disc about 1/8 inch thick. Brush the surface with oil. Sprinkle it with sat and some chopped spring onions. Roll the dough into long sausage shape and coil it around itself like a snake. Lightly roll to flatten the cake to about /2 inch thick. Repeat with the remaining pieces of dough.
Heat a large pan and add 1/4 inch oil. Add one cake at a time and cook one side until golden, then turn and Cook he other other side. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. Repeat with the others. Slice and serve sweet or spicy hot with sauce.  Adapted from Master Lam Kam Chuen's The Feng Shui Kitchen via a ripped page from a supermarket magazine.


  1. I'm loving all these parsnip recipes...not that I have any parsnips...but I'll save them for when I do...

  2. Chung yao bang! Awesome. You can also season with a little ground white pepper when you add the spring onions. Also goes great with jook (rice porridge).

  3. They look yummy!

    And I love the new photo at the top - If its been there a while, I'm sorry - often I read via text only on me phone, but love the sage leaves, how beautiful are they and the garlic.

    After my hand in date, I'll read properly WITH pictures x

  4. There seems to be a real overabundance of parsnips at the moment ;) But I love them as oven-fried chips, too.

    And I know these spring onion pancakes from China :) Many street vendours offered them and they were fabulous!
    Do you know why you have to use hot water? Do you ever get rid of the lumps again? A very interesting method and even vegan. Looks like I have to try them for a sunday brunch (after your samosa pie *hehe*)

  5. wow thanks- looking at the bag of farm door parsnips on the kitchen table I was a bit bored with the norm...and now I have some new 'snip recipes!
    Am about to adapt the samosa pie, and thats tea sorted for tonight :))
    have a lovely weekend

  6. Thank you Affectioknit.
    A couple more to go and then I am onto beetroot :)

    I hope you get to enjoy some of these recipes when you get hold of some parsnips.

    Thak you so much Dirt Gently.
    I'll keep your suggestions in mind. I am always looking for new ideas.

  7. Thank you Fay.
    Its lovely to hear from you.

    I changed the header early this year, but its okay that you've just noticed and I understand why. I lose track as some bloggers change theirs quite a lot. I try to do it on an annual basis.

  8. I love the look of those spring onion cakes! So tasty looking!

  9. Hi Torwen.
    Its the last of the winter root veg, so I guess many seasonal cooks in the U.K are tryign to make the most of it whilst still at their best ;) I love them as oven-fried chips, too. Perhaps my favourite way of eating them.

    I think these Spring onion pancakes are from China :)

    Its the first time I've made these pancakes, so honestly can't tell you why you have to use hot water. Perhaps its just a textual thing, so soften and cook the raw flour. Let me know how you find the samosa pie - do adjust the spices to suit your tastebuds.

    Thank you ted and bunny.
    I hope you find a recipe that tickles your fancy. Let me know how the Parsnip Samosa Pie turns out and how you found it. I'm always interested to know how my recipes turn out in other peoples homes :)
    You have a lovely weekend too.

  10. Thank you so much YummyChunklet.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You