Friday, 1 April 2011

Lavender Almond Cake

You’d be forgiven for thinking I have a generous stash of edible dried lavender flowers, truth is I don’t, just a jar of homegrown lavender which seems infinite its its supply.  From the jar I have been able to make Lavender Scones, Lavender Brownies, Lavender Lemonade, Lavender Bread, Lavender Pancakes and Waffles.
I've never quite understood some peoples need to compare the scent of lavender to their 'grandmother's handkerchief ', and sadly its often done in a mocking childlike manner.  But I guess for them the smell of lavender evokes a particular childhood memory, something that I can only try to imagine.  My first encounter and experience with Lavender was at primary school, making a heart sachet for my 'Mothers day' card, and I instantly adored the fragrance. 

With it being Mothers Day in the U.K this Sunday (3rd April) I think its only fair that I dedicate this post to mothers all over the world, and not just biological mothers, I want to praise adoptive mothers, foster mothers, mother-in-laws, grand-mothers, great grand-mothers, step-mothers, mothers-to-be and selfishly perhaps, women like me.  I don't know if I will ever be blessed with motherhood, but I do know that I have been appreciated as a maternal figure which in itself is an honour.  Happy Mothers Day.
This lavender almond cake is much better the day after. Upon slicing you will be gently hit by the aroma of lavender. The lavender is not overly flowery in flavour, so the machho menfolk in your life should appreciate a slice of this buttery crumbed cake with a cup of tea, or maybe coffee. The recipe does have a creamy curd cheese icing, but to be honest with you I really liked the cake on its own
Lavender Almond Cake
For the cake
Serves 8
2 teaspoons dried lavender buds
250g caster sugar
250g unsalted butter
Juice of 1 orange
4 medium eggs, beaten
200g self-raising flour, sifted
60g ground almonds
Pre-heat oven to 5.
Crush the lavender in a pestle and mortar.  Then cream together with the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add the orange juice and the eggs. Beat together until well combined, adding a spoonful or two of the flour if the mixture starts to curdle. Once the wet ingredients are well blended, fold in the flour and the ground almonds. Pour the batter into a greased and lined 8 inch or 8 1/2 inch spring-form cake tin, and bake for 45 minutes to an hour.  Once done, allow to cool for 20 minutes before turning it out onto a wire rack.
For the curd cheese icing
300g curd cheese
70g icing sugar
Finely grated rind of 1 orange
Method for the curd cheese icing
Mix the curd cheese with the icing sugar and the orange rind.  Refrigerate.  When the cake is cool, top the cake with the curd cheese icing.  Recipe adapted from Crazy Water, Pickled Lemons by Diana Henry.


  1. This looks great! I happen to have a tin of dried lavender in my cupboard, so I'll have to give some of your recipes a spin!

  2. I love love love lavender. It's my favorite scent... I have lavender incense which I burn on a regular basis, and also lavender essential oil which I rub a couple drops on my chest before bed. I also love the taste of lavender! Whenever there is something lavender flavored (ice cream, chocolate etc) I always get it - that and pistachio. I would love to try this bread! Yum.

  3. happy motherlytype day to you too!
    I love the smell of lavender:
    and I like almond cake:
    might have to give this a try:
    need some of the purpley stuff first though:
    enjoy your weekend: are you planting?
    I'll be sowing ^_^

  4. Wow! what an amazing flavor combination! Awesome!

  5. cake looks delicious!
    Blessings, Debra
    Raw Vegan Diet

  6. What a lovely post and you are absolutely right you don't need to be a biological mother to fulfil the role of being a mother.

  7. Love this cake! I am so going to make this.

  8. I will be waiting patiently for this recipe, the cake looks divine!!! I have a couple of recipes that use lavender, but have never thought of cooking them. My mind has just be changed. My first lavender recipe will have to be your delicious looking cake!

  9. wishing you a happy mothering sunday - I like the idea of calling it "mothering" because I agree that many women are tasked with or choose to mother those in their lives whether biological mothers or not.

    love the sound of this recipe - you put me to shame with your fascinating lavendar recipes - I bought some lavendar last year and have never cooked with it - also got lavendar honey at the same time and it is so strong I have been put off it but must try it again

  10. I am not sure when is Mother's Day here in New Zealand... or in Italy!! I forgot!
    Love anything with lavender :-)

  11. You big tease MC! I get to the bottom of the post expecting the recipe and you leave me hanging... Make sure you update when you get time - and include the frosting please!

  12. I'd love to make that! Look fwd to the recipe.

  13. You have a wonderful blog and now I am a follower. I think your Lavender and almond cake looks wonderful. I recently tried Lavender and Honey Ice Cream at a fair, it was scrumptious! I live in South Australia and new to "Blogland" but think is is fantastic to have so many wonderful "windows" into others worlds at you fingertips. take care. Yollie :0) - my blog is: (but only if you want to visit)

  14. here, here, beautifully put
    (and not selfish to acknowledge the wonderful part you have played in your nephews life). N x

    Thank you so much for your lovely and kind comments. I will respond to each of your comments when I am back to my usual routine.

  16. Well I'm just a huge fan of lavender and other floral's in baking. I just recently made lavender scones!

    Must make this!

  17. I've given up cheese for lent :(

    But I am definitely trying this after

    Happy Friday xx

  18. I thought this so delicious I put it on my facebook page! Thank you. As you will see I am a fan of lavender.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You