Tuesday, 16 November 2010

Scented Lavender Bread

Beautiful full heads of blue, mauve, indigo and yes even pink’. Lavender is indeed one of the most elegant and delectable flavours you can use in cooking. I’ve been looking for an excuse to open my jar of my home grown lavender and last week I found it when I stumbled across Vanessa Kimbell’s from Prepped.

Vanessa had an invitation for foodies to get involved and test recipes for the cookbook she is currently writing. I was more than happy to oblige my time and taste buds as a tester. So I wrote to her excited to be part of the development of her book and offered my humble services. I was even excited when it happened to be a recipe using lavender, and then a little nervous when it was a bread recipe. You see, I am not accustomed to giving my upper arms a work out, but it was so worth kneading and stretching. Homemade bread is the best, especially when it comes out looking like this.
The bread wasn't sweet at all, but delicately scented from the infused lavender. I will be making the bread again, so please come back in a weeks time when I’ll be able to share the recipe with you, it just needs a little bit of tweaking.
Updated 5 December 2010. I haven't heard back from Vanessa regarding re-testing the recipe. When I originally tested the recipe, she did say it was okay to post the recipe on my blog as other testers had, so for those of you who have been wanting to give it a go, here it is as it was given to me. I think I know where I may have gone a little wrong with my making of the Lavender Bread recipe, the salt I used was sea salt which dominated the flavour over the lavender.
Lavender Bread
2 tablespoons of culinary grade dried lavender
30 ml of hot milk
750g strong plain white flour
2 tsp salt
75g butter, cut into small pieces
7g sachet fast-action dried yeast
1 tbsp caster sugar
330 ml milk
100 ml hot water - but not boiling
1. Pop the lavender in a cup and heat about 30ml of milk soak the Lavender in the milk for about 15 minutes. In the meantime tip the flour, yeast and salt into a large bowl and mix together with the butter turning it into fine breadcrumbs.
2. Pour the milk into a large measuring jug and stir in the hot water ad the lavender and milk solution. The liquid should be just about hand temperature, as this warmth will help the bread to rise.
3 Mix this until it forms a soft dough that leaves the sides of the bowl clean. Dust your surface with flour, then tip the dough onto it. Knead the dough for about 10 minutes by hand or alternately use a dough hook on your mixer to do the same job. The dough should be stretch y and elastic. Put this into a lightly greased liter tin and over with a clean damp tea towel to rise for about 35 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas 7. Once the dough is risen Bake for 30 minutes, until risen and golden brown. Leave in the tin to cool.
5 Tip it out onto a cooling rack and tap the base of the bread to check it is cooked. It should sound hollow.


  1. What a beautiful photo! I am so pleased you tested the recipe.. your suggestions and testing notes were brilliant and I've made a couple of changes to the recipe .. so the fact this recipe will be utterly foolprooof is down to you. Thank you .. you are a star!

  2. Yum...lovely idea!

    I just made some of my truffles recently with a gift of lavender balsamic, and a slight sprinkle of dried lavender for garnish. Love cooking with it...

  3. Looks interesting!

    I've made lavender shortbread/buttery cookies which are delicious.

  4. What a gorgeous looking loaf, I can't wait for the recipe. I have been tempted many times to cook with lavender but haven't managed it yet. Shameful of me, really.

  5. what a great idea! your bread looks great!
    have a sweet day,

  6. Wow, love that photo! I have never eaten anything with lavendar in it, can't wait for your recipe. I use lavendar oil for headaches, and as a relaxing scent to help me sleep, glad to find other uses!

  7. I love anything lavender, it is such a versatile plant. I've never tried lavender bread so will look forward to your lavender post.!
    Have a great day

  8. It looks beautiful and I'm sure it`s delicious.
    Big hug

  9. I can't wait to try this!!

    PS: Could I please use the picture of your mulligatawny parsnip and wild rice soup on my blog - I stupidly didn't take a picture of my own last night!! ;)

  10. What a beautiful loaf of bread! I've never had lavender bread before, but I would like to try it.

  11. It looks lovely, I look forward to the recipe :-)

  12. That loaf of bread is a beauty, can't wait for the recipe after some tweaking, of course;)

  13. The lavender bread looks and sounds delicious, as does the lavender heart scones. The food photos going down the side of your blog all look so very amazing; i'm so hungry now.

  14. Thank you SO much Vanessa.
    Now that is pressure and pleasure.

    Thanks EcoGrrl!
    Liking the soundof your truffles.

    Thanks Lou of Please Do Not Feed The Animals.

    Thank you Cabbage Tree Farm.
    I've made lavender scones,, but not lavender shortbread. One for the list to make.

    Thank you Kath.
    Please do have a go at making something with lavender, how about some lavender scones (check out the sidebar). and i must disagree with you,nope it is not shameful at all. Thre are so many ingredients in the worldm, i think it would be almost impossible to cook with them all :)

  15. Thank you Justyna.

    Janet - It is so lovely to hear from you. It has been a while. I do hope that you are well. Whislt your waiting for the lavender bread recipe, how about makign some lavender scones (check the side br). I like lavender oil in my baths, I too find it a relaxing scent to help me unwind.

    Thank you Rosemary of the The Summer Porch.
    Hopefully I will not keep you waiting too long :)

    Thank you so much Annie.
    They cyber Big hug is appreciated too.

    Dearest Philippa of green ink.
    I have sent you an e mail, but just in case you have not received it. Yes, of course you can use the picture of your mulligatawny parsnip and wild rice soup for your blog. I am so delighted you liked the recipe :)

  16. Thank you so much Rose.
    I have been following your Random Road trip the past week or so : )

    Thank you Alessandra said...
    Hopefully I will not keep you too long waiting for the recipe :-)

    Thank you so much Lovely Patty.
    Hopefully you won't have to wait too long for the recipe to appear on my blog ;)

    17 November 2010 01:51
    Why I garden... said...
    The lavender bread looks and sounds delicious, as does the lavender heart scones. The food photos going down the side of your blog all look so very amazing; i'm so hungry now.

  17. this bread sounds so lovely... thanks for sharing it.

  18. oohh i must try lavendar for cooking one day. it is a great companion plant too :-)

  19. what a baking succcess. Who needs the gym when there's bread to be kneaded?

  20. Thank you so much Why I garden.
    I'll be updating my side bar on a regular basis, so do come by and check it out.

    Thanks blackbookdiaries.

    Scented Sweetpeas.
    I love growing it in the garden to and swishing my hand across it for scent.

    Thank you so much Nic.
    True who needs the gym!


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You