Tuesday, 23 November 2010

Spiced Apple Chutney

Oh not not another Apple Jar recipe! I promise this will be the last Apple jar recipe on this blog, for this year at least. That is not to say, that I don't have any more apples, I certainly do but I think there is enough to make either a humble, homely Apple pie, Upside down Toffee Apple cake, Apple muffins or maybe some Apple flapjacks later this week.

Back to todays recipe. I actually made this Spiced Apple Chutney in September but had not got round to posting it on my blog. The original recipe can be found here and is made on the stove taking about 2 hours from start to finish. This particular weekend, I recall that I did not want to be standing looking over the pot - stirring too often, so I decided to make it in the slow cooker. Although it took longer to make, it did release me to get on with other exciting things such as house cleaning, laundry and composting. This was a day to stay in-doors.
Spiced apple chutney
Cooking time in Slow Cooker: 6 – 8 hours
Makes 5 x 296g jars
Ingredients
Medium onions, sliced and chopped
1kg cooking apples, cored and chopped
110g sultanas
15g ground coriander
20g paprika
15g allspice
15g salt
340g granulated sugar
425ml malt vinegar
Method
Put all the ingredients into the slow cooker. Turn high for the first hour, then turn low.
Stir from time to time to stop the chutney sticking to the pan.
When it is very thick and you can draw a wooden spoon across the base of the pan so that it leaves a channel behind it that does not immediately fill with liquid, the chutney is ready.
Turn into sterilised jars, seal and cool.
Store in a cool, dark cupboard for two to three months before eating.

20 comments:

  1. Lovely, lovely. Your cupboards must be full to bursting now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of making a chutney in the slow cooker! Oh so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kath,
    They certainly are BURSTING... I said no more apple jar recipes, but i have something else in jars to blog about later in the week.


    Hi Astra.
    Thank you. It was a bit lazy of me, but the chutney is good. Be fab with cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds awesome! I also love the idea of using the slow cooker! I've never had apple chutney. I think I need to make this! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks gorgeous .. I really love home made chutney.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, there's no such thing as too much chutney (I guess my opinion may be a little bit biased!)
    The chutney sounds delicious (I've never thought of combining coriander & paprika - cumin & paprika I use all the time, but this is a new one for me!).
    And I love your little jars!
    Much love, fear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. D'oh, dear friend, not fear friend. Stupid fingers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you can never have too many chutneys! ok, that's just my opinion but I'll never grow tired of reading about them either so post away

    ReplyDelete
  9. mmm yes, I bet this is lovely with cheese! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I keep reading food blogs tonight, oh I wish I had some of this talent in the kitchen, I love food!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Note to self - eat before reading this blog!!! Thanks for stopping by mine and your funny comment! I'm sure you'd look great in a jumpsuit ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very smart to do it in a slow cooker and free yourself to do laundry! Very exciting, indeed. Keep posting apple recipes, I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. no need to apologise - I have just made two batches of chutney and so am quite interested to see what others are doing with chutneys - looks lovely and I love your advice on when the chutney is cooked

    ReplyDelete
  14. Michelle.
    Thank you - Please do have a go at making some of your own apple chutney :o) Home-made tastes so much better.


    Thank you so much Emma.


    Thanks littleblackfox.
    Yes, I think you are a little biased :) But that is a good thing.

    Although this does have cumin and paprika, it is mildly spiced.

    I purchsed these jars from Lakeland a few years ago, I had forgot about them and only unearthed them recently. Good thing, it saved me pennies from buying a lot more!


    Hi Nic.
    So glad you think so :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Rachelous


    Thanks Ali.
    Everything begins with one step, so step into your kitchen and start experimenting. You will find that you do have talent in the kitchen!


    Thank you So, so much Gawgus things.
    Your comment gave me a BIG BIG SMILE! Thank You to you - take my word for it, a jump suit is me no more ;)


    Thanks Carolyn.
    Using the slow cooker certainly does free me to do other housey tasks :)


    Thanks Johanna GGG.
    Look forward to reading about your batches of chutney. Its always lovely to exchange notes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohhhh yum! Lovin' all these ingredients!!

    Great blog! Happy I found you!

    Mary xo
    Delightful Bitefuls

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great idea! love chutney butnever had spiced apple before.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much Mary.

    Thank you Gastronomy Gal.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have hung onto this recipe from last November as it looked so good and would now like to make some but looking at the recipe realise I have a couple of queries...
    1. The quantity of onion is missing - what type and amount did you use?
    2. The recipe is for a slow cooker, which I have, but wondered about using the conventional method on the stove top. Did you have any problems with the lid on the slow cooking preventing the mixture reducing - I find that the quicker it reduces the better to keep the colour light. What do you think - or is there a particular reason for slow cooking?
    I have the apples - lots of them as this is a bumper year and we have generous friends - but just need to clarify.
    Many thanks
    hopeeternal
    'Meanderings through your Cookbook'

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi hopeeternalcookbok.
    Lovely to hear from you.
    The original recipe comes from the BBC website.
    See second paragraph - link in green. Its originally made in the conventional pot, it was my decision to try it in a slow cooker. The onion quantity was 1 medium yellow onion the weighed about 250g.
    I hope this helps. check out the original recipe too.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You