Monday, 15 November 2010

Spinach and split green pea soup

My lonesome evening meals over the past few days have not been the most exciting or inspiring. I have had Spinach and green split pea lentil soup, three days on the trot. But for enjoyment purposes, I have tried to serve each bowl of soup slightly different.

The first day, I had a simple soup twice (lunch and evening). I enjoyed that.
Second day, soup was ladled over some plain boiled Basmati rice - lovely and filling.
Third day, soup ladled over fusilli pasta – not so good. I think by this time my belly was gurgling and asking for something that would stick to my ribs.
Slightly off track, whilst surfing the Internet, I learned that Glasgow hosted its second Zombie Walk in and around the West End of Glasgow. The walk coincided with Halloween weekend, no surprise there and it left from the gates of Kelvingrove Park. For those of your interested you will find some images of the Zombie Walk in Glasgow. I think it would have been awesome to witness, especially at night rather than daylight when it would have given some people the fright.
Spinach and split green pea soup
Serves 4
Ingredients
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced
2 leeks, washed and sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon sea salt
150g *dried split green peas, picked over and rinsed
200g fresh spinach
2 pints of vegetable stock or water
Method
Add olive oil to a big pot over med-high heat. Stir in onions, leeks, garlic and salt cook until it all softens. Add the split peas and stock or water if using. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the split green peas are cooked through. Then add in the spinach and cook until wilted. Turn off heat. When cool enough, either using a hand blender or liquidiser puree the soup. Return to the pot, taste seasoning and adjust to taste and reheat before serving.
*If you don’t have green split pea lentils, yellow channa dal lentils, another green or brown lentil will work too.

8 comments:

  1. Nice to inventive with soup. Where is D? When I am alone I don't feel much like cooking...

    ciao
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Split pea is one of my favorites! I'll have to try it with the spinach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha! I love the progression of your photos. I don't think you meant to, but i find it to be totally quirky and adorable. But lovely soup :) I can see why you ate it so many times in a row.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! Tons of vitamins! I guess it's soup time of year because I have been seeing a lot of soup blogs lately. Me too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Alessandra.
    Last month, D's father passed away. So he has been travelling back and from from Scotland to be with his mother in Essex, England.


    Thank you so much Ribbit.
    Split pea is one pulse I am not so keen on, so was glad to mix it up with other flavours.


    Thanks Roxan.
    I like quirky and adorable. You can come again :)


    Thank you so much Carissa. Yeph full of vitamins. But I felt like i nearly overdosed on it. I just wish D was around that i could have shared some with him. Yes, it certainly is soup weather, there are going to be a lot of recipes on bloggers sites. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I witnessed a zombie walk in Portland, Oregon last year, more like a 'Night of the Living Dead' walk, very entertaining but not for little people, too scary. If it was me I probably would have used the spinach soup as an omlette filling on the 3rd night:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow great zombie photos though a wee bit disturbing - and I love the soup - simple but looks just the thing to get you through a few nights of solo eating when you need a bit of nutrition and comfort

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you don't mind non-vegetarian, fry some bacon in the stockpot and then add the onions, leeks and garlic.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You