Monday, 8 November 2010

Autumnal fritters

These Autumnal fritters can be made with Beetroot, carrot, celeriac, kohlrabi, parsnip, pumpkin, swede, sweet potato, turnip … You choose.
If you do find yourself tempted to make these Autumnal fritters, I'd recommend combining 3 to 4 root vegetables together, but no more than that as the flavours may start fighting each other, rather then complimenting each other.
I also think these are best eaten on the day, but unless your having friends over or have a family who will devour them in moments, you will find yourself with some left overs. In this case, You could also put these in between a bread roll with greens and sauce and treat as a veggie burger, well kind of. I know that is what I’ll be doing tomorrow for my working lunch.
Autumnal fritters: Beetroot, carrot, celeriac, parsnip, potato, pumpkin, sweet potato…
Makes lots
1 medium-sized potato, grated
1 medium-sized beetroot, grated
2 carrots, (pumpkin or butternut squash), grated
1 parsnip (or celeriac), grated
150g gram aka besan flour
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Luke warm water to combine
Cooking oil for shallow frying
Combine the grated vegetables, flour, salt and pepper in a bowl and stir well. Add a little water so that the ingredients begin to stick together, enough to form into fritters. In large frying pan, heat the oil on medium heat. Cook fritters until slightly crisp on bottom; flip and cook other side until crisp, roughly 4-5 minutes per side. Remove from heat and serve immediately with a Green salad and a zingy sauce.


  1. Those do look and sound pretty. What a great idea!

  2. Ooh, these fritters look yum! I love the contrasting colours, they're so pretty!
    I've not dug up my parsnips yet, but this looks liek a delicious reason to get started!

    Alas, I've not had any emails from you. We re starcrossed, eternally thwarted by our ISP's, impeded by a malign server, hindered by broadbands... at this rate I may have to resort to carrier pigeon, morse code, pen & paper & other antiquated means of communication. (heh, sorry, I'm being daft. Long day at work, followed by tedious lengthly board meeting. I may have gone just a smidge doolally!)

  3. Thanks for that. I was trying to think of something inspiring to do with swedes today ... and I didn't come up with much.
    Will try it.

  4. Ooh these sound lovely the beetroot ones look a great colour too x

  5. Yum! Now I know what to do with some of this bounty of root veggies from our CSA. Thanks for sharing.

  6. Sounds wonderful and what a pretty plate it makes. Thanks for a delicious Fall recipe that is filling and good for you.

  7. What a great idea, and I like the colours :-)

  8. They look great. I especially love the fact you have done two different colours. Any advice on the zingy sauce?

  9. i love combining root veggies - sweet potato fritters, lalalala

  10. Thank you Rose.
    So good to hear from you!

    Thanks Soumya.

    Thanks so much littleblackfox.
    I was just goign to do a parsnip and potato one, that would have been rather creamy looking. You must show off your parsnips, i've never been good at growing them. I've printed and posted you the emails. I don't know whats up, because I do receive your comms. It seems to be failing the other way around - but please remember you are in thoughts. Have a restful evening dear friend.

    Your so welcome Ferris.
    Please let me know how you find the swede and potato version :)

  11. Thanks freerangegirl.
    My husband preferred the flavour of the beetroot ones x

    Thanks Millie D.

    Thanks Jaimie.
    Please enjoy, but don't eat too much - you'll feel good whilst eating them, but after a little tummy ache, and we certainoy do not want that.

    Thank you so much farmlady.
    It is good for you, especially as it was shallow fried too :)

    Thank you Alessandra :-)

    Thank you so much Please Do Not Feed The Animals.
    I was also going to do just parsnip with potaotes. It would have been white creamy in colour, but then it went our of my head. Re the zingy sauce. I was thinking something with tamarind like brown sauce :0) Sometimes, I am happy with flavours froma jar, esp. as the secret ingredient inmost brown sauces is tamarind! Kind wishes.

    Thank you so much EcoGrrl.

  12. These fritters look amazing, colorfoul & so festive too!

    Yummie seasonal food!

  13. Thank you so much Sophie. They certainly have colour.

  14. great colours and fantastic lunch fodder

  15. Thanks Johanna. Fodder is a good word here. I like it.

  16. I do like besan flour in fritters, nice flavour!
    ( and nice colours )

  17. Thank you mamapasta.
    Besan does have a lovely flavour.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You