Wednesday, 3 November 2010

Savoy cabbage, lentils with veggie sausages

Since coming back from Essex, England the weather in Scotland has dramatically changed. In fact you could visibly see the difference on your drive up. It is certainly not autumn here anymore, but edging very quickly towards winter. The orange, gold and red leaves are no longer clinging for dear life to the trees. Instead the trees are being stripped naked by the strong gush of wind exposing their twiggy branches. To make things miserable, the rain is just coming down so hard that the droplets felt more like bursting water balloons being thrown at me by some mischievous kid. This was making me feel damp and grumpy.

When I got home yesterday, I decided I wanted something rustic, warming and comforting on the plate. In my veg basket I had some carrots and Savoy cabbage; from the store cupboard some lentils and from the freezer, some vegetarian sausages. Yes I did say say vegetarian sausages in the freezer – picked up by D at some point and thrown into the freezer by me.
The recipe looks like it would take an hour or so to make, but honestly this took me just over 30 minutes. I do however think this dish could benefit from being made in advance for the flavours to infuse more, but for a quick after work meal it was very satisfying.

The carrots not only added colour to what could have otherwise been a boring looking dish, but also sweetness. The Savoy cabbage ribbed texture. The lentils bite and the sausages, well substance. Please don’t laugh at the sliced sausages. Due to the poor lighting in the evenings now, I got D to take a picture of the dish today and I do not know what possessed him to slice the sausages in this manner. Yesterday evening the dish was oozing with gravy which made it great served with mashed potatoes. This dish actually reminded me s little of the vegetarian sausages with puy lentils and black cabbage I made last year, just not as intense in flavour.
Savoy Cabbage, lentils with veggie Sausages
Serves 4 - 6
Ingredients2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, finely sliced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
160g Puy, green or brown lentils, rinsed
1 small or ½ large Savoy cabbage. Core removed, then chopped and sliced
2 carrots, grated
(Optional) 1 tablespoon mushroom ketchup or Vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
2 pints of vegetable stock
Salt and black pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon dried thyme or rosemary
MethodHeat a large pot and put in the olive oil. Put in chopped onions and garlic. Cook until slightly brown. .
Add in Puy lentils and dried herbs. Stir well to mix. Pour in the stock and bring to the boil. Then, put the lid on and turn to medium heat. Cook this for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a pan, fry the sausages according to packet instructions.
After 15 minutes, add in the Savoy cabbage and the grated carrots to the simmering pot. Stir and mix well. When the sausages are cooked, put them into the pot, season to taste and stir with the rest of the ingredients. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until Savoy cabbage is tender. Serve over mashed potatoes. Idea inspired by this recipe.

10 comments:

  1. Looks great! I love finding fun and new ways to use vegan sausages! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cabbage, lentils and sausages go well together, even when the sausages are vegetarian! Do you have many varieties available in the UK? Here there are a few, but they don't taste very nice, the only good ones are the vegetarian hot dogs. It would be nice to have better sausages, especially now that we are getting into the BBQ season in NZ,, yesterday I went to one and brought falafels and, once again, veggie hot dogs... it feels very boring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Vic.


    Alessandra,
    There are a couple of varieties: Quorn and Cauldron. They are okay to eat now and again. My husband prefers them more than i do. My husband says the veggie hotdogs in the U.K are pretty close to the real thing - tasteless, but good with sauerkraut.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This meal looks so flavorful and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like comfort food to me...really warm, rich and full of soul.

    Have not seen Mushroom ketchup available here but I imagine it is wonderful!

    A thought on vegie sausage..some fried Haloumi might be nice as an alternative...good firmness,..protein..nice texture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Morgan.

    GardeningBren.
    This is comfroting esp if its rainign outside - warms you inside :)

    Mushroom ketchup is a very British creation.

    I love your idea of serving with halloumi cheese. I like halloumi cheese texture, but D does not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a good hearty dinner for home comfort. I did think the sausages were tofu at first but then could see it - you are lucky to have D take these photos for you - I would shudder to think of what photos E would produce

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Johanna.
    I can see why you thought the sausages were tofu :) I think tofu would work too.

    Yes I am lucky, but I would rahter he was in work. Times are not good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made this tonight and it was absolutely wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Green Ink.
    I am so pleased to read that you made a recipe I posted, but even more that you enjoyed it. Thank you soooo much for letting me know. It gives me a a good natural buzz.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You