Monday, 29 June 2009

Vegetarian sausages with puy lentils

I didn’t realise that Toscana di Nero kale had so many names, such as Cavolo Nero (which is what most people know it by), but also Dinosaur kale, Tuscan Kale, Palm Tree Kale, Palm Tree Cabbage and even Black Cabbage. They are all the same vegetable with slight variations being primarily in the shape and texture of the leaves. Interesting don’t you think?

Toscana di nero tastes so different from the curly kale I’m used to eating. 'Which one do I prefer?', I like them both, but it I had to choose, I think I would opt for curly kale. For me it has more flavour.
This recipe is inspired by Nigella Lawson Italian Sausages with lentils from Nigella Bites. I have substituted the meat sausages with vegetarian ones, plus added toscana di nero. It worked out not too bad actually.

5 comments:

  1. I scrolled down your posts and found your potato and green beans, this evening I had some of our beans and at a loss as to what to make I made a green bean and new potato salad!I used the small potatoes that are not much use for anything else, let them go cold and mixed with the blanched beans,salt ,black pepper and mayo. It looks remarkably like yours!They made alovely salad but I may try your version as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks lovely. I am planting some cavalo nero this weekend, and can't wait to taste it. The combination with Puy lentils looks like a good one, so I will definitely remember this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Peggy,
    Thank you.
    I think the best way to enjoy fresh new potatoes and green beans and appreciate them for their natural flavours is to eat them simply as a salad. Especially on sunny days.



    reapwhatyougrow,
    Thank you.
    I was thinking about this dish, although i enjoyed eating it. I think it may be a good dish for a wintery or an autumnal day, its a bit filling for a warm sunny day.
    But I hope you like it. I havent posted the recipe, but it you have Nigella Bites you'll get the jist. But if not, let me know and I will be happy to write the recipe as I did modify it a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do so want to like kale, I try and try to love it, but when I buy it I always seem to feed it to our rabbit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Michele,
    Well at least the rabbit enjoys it!

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You