Monday, 8 June 2009

Roasted asparagus and Jersey royals

Some lily pads at the RSPB Nature reserve in Lochwinnoch, Scotland
I know it’s not the right thing to do, especially to some of Britain’s finest seasonal vegetables, which should really be eaten ‘simply steamed’ with a little seasoning. But these Jersey Royal potatoes were lacking taste and were a little on the dry side, so to perk them up a bit, I decided to roast them in the oven.

Roasting them in olive oil completely transformed the taste. This simple salad dish was really nice for a warm evening, when all you want is a light meal.

Roasted asparagus and Jersey royals
Serves 4
Ingredients
500g Jersey royal potatoes or small new potatoes, cut in half or left whole if small enough
300g asparagus spears, chopped into three pieces
Olive oil for roasting
Salt and pepper to taste

40g Parmesan, Pecorino or other hard cheese shavings (optional)

Dressing
Zest from 1 lemon
2 teaspoons of lemon juice
100ml of olive oil

Put the new potatoes in olive oil and season wit salt and pepper. Place in oven and roast for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, make the dressing by whisking all the ingredients together. Put aside.

After 30 minutes, remove the new potatoes from the oven and mix in the asparagus, return to the oven for a further 10 minutes. Remove from the oven.

Put the asparagus and potatoes into a large bowl and pour over the dressing and mix thoroughly and allow to cool, before serving between four plates topped with cheese shavings.

11 comments:

  1. Two of my faves in one dish - wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just one of the best combinations at this time of the year and thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, just had a quick scan through your blog, sounds like you've got a fantastic lottie going there. Have only just planted asparagus this season, feel quite sad that I'm have to wait at least two years before getting any though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing! I love roasted potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely idea to roast the jerseys - I got some in my veggie box this morning, so I'll give then this treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pamwest,

    Thank you.

    Food Urchin,

    Thank you for the compliment, it's hard work, but you do eventually reap, sorry I mean eat the rewards.

    I know how you feel about the asparagus, we had one lonely asparagus last year, and nothing this year.

    Michele,

    As always, Thank you.

    fran39,

    Roasting the new potatoes or Jerseys in this case was actually quite a pleasant change. I liked them, I hope you do too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Roasted new potatoes are so tasty but I've never dared with Jersey's - mind you if they weren't packed with taste why not! I'm wondering whether i can do asparagus in one of those big plastic trug things from the garden centre.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. goodshoeday,

    About the asparagus - mmm, not sure because the asparagus crowns roots are like spider legs and should be spread when planted, they can crop up anywhere, so I think it is advised to grow them in the ground, rather than in trugs which may limit the spears you get. If you are really keen to pursue this idea, I would probably investigate this option further.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for the comments on how the asparagus grows - clearly need to do some more research. i don't mind if i don't get to harvest lots i'd just like to give it a go :)

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You