Tuesday, 30 June 2009

Berry Oaty Bars – very Scottish

On Sunday, I picked about 500g raspberries from plot 11. These are not like the supermarkets ones, that will last a few days in the fridge, these are so fresh, that a couple of days in the fridge and they’d go mouldy. So the question was how to enjoy them.
Well create some more oaty delights in the form of a soft flapjack filled with fruit. These are very Scottish, even if I don't so myself. Now all you need with it is a scoop of vanilla ice-cream.
Raspberry oat bars
I used an 7 x 11 inch tin
300g jumbo rolled oats
170g brown sugar
100g dessicated coconut
100g plain flour
300g butter (or for vegan alternative, substitute with vegan margarine)
300g fresh raspberries
Preheat oven to gas mark 6 and line the baking tin with parchment paper.
Put the oats, sugar, coconut and flour in a large bowl and combine thoroughly. Form a well int he centre. Melt the butter, pour it into the well and stir until evenly distributed.
Press half the oat mixture into the lined baking tin. Next, scatter the berries evenly over the base. Now cover the layer of berries with the remaining oat mixture and press down firmly, these will be firm enough to be bars you can hold and eat, rather than eat with a spoon.
Place oat bars in oven and bake for 30 - 35 minute until golden brown. Cool in tray and then cut into bars.
These can be kept for up to 5 days in an airtight container.


  1. Fabulous. I have a load of raspberries in the fridge, waiting to go off, and I will make these instead! Cheers.

  2. Your very welcome.

    Hope you like them, they are lovely soft fruity bars, you may need a spoon.

  3. That looks yum! I know what you mean about the raspberries only lasting a day or so.

  4. I't not just because I'm starving as I type, Mangocheeks these look delicious!

    If only I hadn't stuffed my face full of berries at the plot this morning I might have had enough to make some myself...

  5. These look amazing! How wonderful to have just-picked raspberries!

  6. same comment as the rest - they look gorgeous.
    I planted 2 raspberry 'stalks' a few months ago - I'm still waiting for them to actually grow leaves ! Think it will be a while yet before I get any raspberries - when I do I'll look for this recipe.

  7. Thank you Nicisme.

    Hopefully, you will be be able to harvest some more berries. I am planning to make some more this time with the addition of strawberies.

    Thanks. I am really spoilt right now. I have berries growing left, right and centre. They seem to be ripening before my beady eyes, too quick even for me to eat.

    I'm not a tree.
    Thank you.

    Raspberries take a while to establish, you will probably get some next year, unless of course they are autumn raspberries, then you might just be in luck.

  8. Like your blog,will be back.

    Queenie Romford England

  9. Hello Queenie,

    Thank you so much. Look forward to hearing more from you.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You