Sunday, 28 June 2009

Delicious Oaty Biscuits

I am not a person who eats biscuits, I'm a muffin or a flapjack kinda girl, but I wanted to try these for two reasons. One it was straightforward to make, no cookie cutters required and secondly, I had a load of rolled oats sitting in a jar. I am so glad I did. These for me were absolutely delicious, really. This recipe for Oaty biscuits comes from I'm not a Tree. From April 2009 until April 2010, I'm not a Tree (sorry I don't know what her name is) has made the decision 'Not buy things she doesn't need for one year'. She writes 'since when did life become one long episode of Supermarket Sweep?! So I'm stopping. Waving goodbye to my consumerist self and welcoming the Slower, more conscious me. It's a two fingers up to manipulative, greedy, ruthless, very clever indeed, corporate capitalism. For one year. I'm going to be that person annoying friends with homemade biscuits and handmade cards'. I think its a excellent idea as it gets you to reflect on your behaviour as a consumerist, but also makes you think do you need this, I mean really need it.

Do check out her blog in which she records her daily account of how she spends her time and money over the next year.
I'm not a Tree Oaty Biscuits
Makes about 16
Ingredients
150g plain flour
1 teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
175g rolled oats
125g butter
100g light brown sugar
1 tablespoon golden syrup
1 tablespoon water
Optional extras
Handful of raisins, peanuts, cashew nuts, sunflower seeds, coconut flakes, about an inch of ginger root, peeled and grated to taste.

Method
Preheat oven 180ยบ Grease 2 baking trays

Sieve plain flour and bicarbonate of soda into bowl. Mix in the rolled aats and the extras you want. Mix thoroughly in the bowl

In a small saucepan add butter, sugar, syrup and 1 tablespoon of water and gently heat until they're combined together.

Add to the dry ingredients in the bowl and stir until well mixed.

From the bowl pick up some of the mix and form into little balls about the size of a walnut.

Put the balls of mix onto the baking trays and put in oven for 16 -18 minutes.

Take out of oven when they're a medium toasted colour and leave on trays or wire rack to cool down. Then transfer to an airtight container.

I'm not a tree recommends melting a bar of dairy milk chocolate to give the biscuits. Next time I think I will.

5 comments:

  1. Yum! Thanks to the pointer to I'm not a Tree. And blueberry curd sounds lovely though it must look strange.

    So, Super Aquadulce are a little on the bitter side, are they? That is useful to know. Great that you have converted D to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a fantastic recipe, and a gorgeous photo! I'm so glad I found your lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you FlowerPowerGirl.



    Hello Astra Libris,

    So delighted that you like the blog. Thank you.

    It is a lovely and simple recipe. Shows how simple ingredients can produce something so moreish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks live a wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michele,
    You must try them. They are so moreish.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You