Tuesday, 9 June 2009

Lemony coriander pasta

Coriander is the one herb I really struggle to grow, I always fail to germinate it from seed and I don’t understand why, especially as I am successful with all my other herbs, including lovage, dill and chervil, but not the one I really, really love.

So most of the time, I tend to have coriander in fridge to liven dishes from vegetables to pulses, but never pasta. This was the first time, I decided to combine the two ingredients. I am sure it has been done before, but not by me and what a tasty dish it was.

Coriander is quite a powerful herb, so go easy on it, you want the right balance, too much and it’s pungent. The next time I make this dish, I think I will add a teaspoon of chilli flakes. My mum would really love it!
This is also my contribution towards Pasta Presto Nights No 117 which is being hosted by Katie of Thyme for Cooking , I really enjoyed participating in it last time and Ruth of 4Everykitchen was such a wonderful co-host. Presto Pasta Nights, fondly known as PPN has a very simple pre-requisite. The dish must have some sort of noodle, it doesn't have to be traditional Italian type pasta, it can be hot, cold, salad, soup, main, dessert, or anything else, but it must have some kind of noodle. So what's stopping you from participating? Go on have a go, you still have plenty of time to submit. PPN is also a great way to find out about other food bloggers.

Penne with Lemon-coriander pesto
Serves 2
250g penne, farfalle or conchiglie pasta cooked according to packet instructions. Drain and allow to cool
For coriander pesto sauce
Handful of coriander, stems included
2 cloves of garlic,
½ teaspoon of salt
4 tablespoons of olive oil
Juice and zest of ½ a lemon
Pepper to taste

2 tablespoons of lightly roasted pine nuts.

In a blender, put in two tablespoons of olive oil, zest and lemon juice, garlic and coriander and blend, then add salt, remaining olive oil and repeat blending procedure until well combined.

Pour coriander pesto over the pasta and gently toss to combine the mixture well. Season with pepper, scatter over the pine nuts and serve.

I end with the words of Nigella, the domestic goddess 'how easy was that?!'


  1. Wow that looks yum - I love pesto but don't often make it myself - how lazy of me. I also like the idea of PPN so I'm off to check out the blog and join in the fun.

  2. Your pasta looks delicious!
    I love, love, love Nigella.

  3. goodshoeday,

    It was delicious. I shoud not have really called it pesto, but a sauce as it contains no nuts or cheese, but it's done now.

    Please join in with the PPN. You did so brilliantly last time with the No Croutons Required Challenge.

    I know, I know you love Nigella : )

  4. I love coriander and love your dish. Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights

  5. Ruth,
    Thank you for giving people like me an opportunity to participate in food blogging events like PPN.

  6. Looks delicious! And brings back memories of our allotment in Andorra!

  7. katiez,

    Thank you.

    Glad the blog contents brought back memories of your allotments in Andorra. Wow!

  8. This sounds very refreshing. I will be trying it soon.

  9. The Food Hunter,

    Thank you for your comment, I do hope you like it.

  10. Alisa,

    Thank you. Yes, it certainly is packed with flavour, hence my words to go easy on the coriander!


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You