Thursday, 18 November 2010

Swiss chard, lentil and mango chutney pie

D is back home. I know one thing for certain, he has not been eating lentils and greens whilst away, so I decided to combine these ingredients and make a vegetable pie of sorts.
I know its not the prettiest looking plates featured on my blog recently, but let me tell you this Swiss chard, lentil and mango chutney pie is rich and sweet. It is belly warming.
You don’t necessarily need to place the puff pastry on top, and can eat it as it is - like a stew. But I feel like I’ve been eating a lot of evening meals lately with a spoon that I wanted the flaky pastry top - a humble homely pie.

For those of you unable to get Swiss chard, and I can sympathise. If I didn’t grow my own, I wouldn’t be able to find any at the grocers or supermarkets. In this case, please use spinach, it will work very well. Another thing I should point out, this recipe includes a knob of ginger and I know some of you don’t like ginger, I am thinking of you Louise. So feel free to omit the ginger all together from the recipe, unless of course I can encourage you to add a teaspoon of dried ginger powder in its place, I’ll leave you to decide.
Oh I am full of suggestions today, here is another one. Although I have used mango chutney in this recipe (as I wanted to finish off the nearly empty jar in my fridge), I think you could also substitute the mango chutney with a sweetish apple chutney.
Swiss chard, lentil and mango chutney pie
Serves 4 – 6
For the sauce2 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, finely sliced
2 clove garlic, crushed
1 fresh red chilli, finely chopped
A knob of root ginger, grated*
2 teaspoons curry powder
2 x 400g tins tomato, chopped
4 tablespoons mango chutney*
100g red lentils
1 ½pint vegetable stock
For the vegetables450g potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
350g Swiss chard, large stems removed, washed and chopped
100g frozen peas
Handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
375g puff pastry
Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 6.
Place the oil in a large saucepan, add the onion, garlic, chilli, ginger and curry powder and cook until the onion is soft. Stir in the tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, chutney and potatoes. Cook for 10 minutes before stirring in the red lentils and stock. Continue cooking for 15 – 20 minutes until the lentils are soft. Then add in the Swiss chard and cook until it is limp. Season to taste and stir in the frozen peas and fresh coriander. Tip into an large ovenproof dish.
Roll out the puff pastry and place on top of the vegetable mixture. Make an incision in the middle of the pastry to allow the steam to escape and bake for 25 - 30 minutes until golden brown.
*Note: I actually had a jar of mango chutney that included ginger, so I omitted the ginger from my recipe. Adapted from New Food for Thought.


  1. wow! This looks phenomenal! I love veggie pies!

  2. Ha ha - personalised recipe adjustments - fantastic!
    It's okay, I am quite used to omitting ginger from recipes. I am even going to make some ginger-free ginger bread this year to attempt my first ever ginger bread house.
    I do love mango chutney so this looks good. I don't tend to do much cooking with lentils but whenever I have something with lentils, I always think I should use them more. This will be a great one for getting loads of goodness into the boys (and I include Steve in that).

  3. I think you are incapable of posting a recipe that does not sound and look utterly delicious :) I can't wait to try this one!! x

  4. I have to say I just love your recipes, they seem so healthy and full of flavour. I love the addition of the puff pastry also.

  5. That's looks delicous. I have just picked up some chard from the food swap, have potatoes and coriander in the garden and the rest of the ingredients in the cupboard. Can't wait to give it a try!

  6. Thanks Vic.

    Lou - Please Do Not Feed The Animals.
    Ginger-free ginger bread - now that sounds interesting.

    With the weather turning nippy and vibrant veg on short supply, I always turn to my jars of lentils, pulses and grains.

    Thank you so much green ink.
    That is a lovely compliment, but I have to admit, I have postied recipes that have not been so good in the past, but i have forewarned readers too :) thsi one is 'proper delicious' ccording to my husband though x

    Thank you so much Emma for the lovley compliment. I have to admit though, not all the recipes here featured are healthy, but they are full of flavour.

    Hi Funkbunny.
    so lovely to hear from you.
    Good to read that you've picked up some chard from the food swap, and have some of the other ingredients in your garden or cupboard. If you do get round tomaking this, I do hpe you enjoy as much as we have been over the past few days.

  7. This looks - and sounds - really delicious. :) I can't find chard where I live, either, but I guess some other greens could be substituted?

  8. Thanks Seglare.
    I have recommended spinach in my blog post as a good substitution.

  9. I made this last night with a few substititions. I used curry paste instead of powder and used slightly less mango chutney. And we ate it with rice, as a curry. It was delicious! Thanks for the inspiration.

  10. Funkbunny,
    Thank you so much for letting me know.
    And you are absolutely welcome. Its good to tweak the recipe to your own taste, as well as what you have to hand. I think this dish acommpanying rice is an excellent idea. I think I would have done that today, had I not made the Swede cakes. Warm wishes.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You