Saturday, 27 November 2010

Thai Pumpkin and chickpea curry

After our snowy, slippy walk through Kelvingrove Park and Museum, we came back home just wanting to have a lazy day. On days I don't want to be in the kitchen too long, I often make a quick Thai Green curry and Thai Red curry with ready made curry paste. These two meals has been a stand-by favourite in our home, for ease and for flavour.

A little while ago though, I picked up a jar of Thai Yellow curry paste. I've never had a Thai Yellow curry, so was intrigued to try it. In the fridge I also had a wedge of pumpkin, a packet of salad greens that included baby spinach, (watercress and rocket), plus I always have tinned chickpeas in my kitchen cupboards . So an impromptu meal of Thai Yellow Pumpkin and chickpea curry was served in about 30 minutes. Its not as spicy as the Thai green or Thai red, but still - a nice change.
Thai Yellow Pumpkin and Chickpea curry
Serves 2 -3
Ingredients
3 tbsp vegetable oil
400g pumpkin, peeled and sliced into wedges or roughly even sized chunks
400ml unsweetened coconut milk
100ml vegetable stock made with bouillon powder
3 - 4 tablespoons of ready made Thai Yellow Curry Paste (make sure it is suitable for vegetarians and vegans).
1 teaspoon Tamari
4 dried kaffir lime leave
Salt to taste
1 x 400g tinned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
100 g baby spinach
Coriander to taste
Method
Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the pumpkin wedges or chunks. Cook them in the hot oil for 10 minutes, until they begin to soften slightly. Check by inserting a fork.
Then add the coconut milk, the stock and the yellow curry paste, the tamari, Kaffir lime leaves and salt to taste.
Simmer for a few minutes, then add in the chickpeas and the greens. Stir gently until the greens wilt. Check seasoning, and scatter over coriander if using.
Serve with lovely plain Basmati rice or in keeping with the Thai theme – Thai Jasmine rice.

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Pumpkin curry sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks lovely, I've never heard of Thai Yellow Curry before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Vic.


    Thank you so much Damo. Lovely to make your acquaintance and Thank you so much for becoming a follower. It is very kind of you.

    I have to admit, Thai yellow curry was new to me too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the snowy photos in this post - they're lovely :)

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You