Saturday, 6 November 2010

The dragonfly hovers around the last sunflower

Sounds like a title of a fictitious story, but I am referring to my garden plot.
Here are a few pictures from this morning.
Lone 'Golden apple' squash. Last year I harvested many, this year - only one.
I harvested some' ideal baby' carrots which are growing in a pot hanging from the fence.
Some wrinkly beetroot.
And some surprise 'Purple Top Milan' turnips.
This is the only flower blooming in the garden. Isn't it pretty?!
We have some blackberries, but not enough to harves. The little tweety birds can enjoy them. if they so wish.
I've cleared part of the garden plot too. The soil looks lovely. I also managed to pick a jute bag full of windfall apples too. I know I'm going to be busy in the kitchen later. I hope your enjoying your weekend. Take care for now.


  1. That's great to see the harvest and the fresh chocolate soil in your garden. Bet you enjoyed being outside and hopefully your cold spell and your cold are gone))).

  2. I love seeing freshly harvested veg - nice work.

    In my garden (which has been untended this year) nature surprised me with some tasty mizuna when I visited and a nice little crop of oca.

    I've a few carrots in pots too - you can't beat the taste.

    Enjoy yours :-)

  3. Thank you Gardening Bren.
    Love the descriptive chocolate soil. I am going to use that :) I am feeling much better, but I don't think it will last long. Tis' the season to get a bad cold. I think I am just fending it off.

    Ferris Jay,
    Its so lovely to hear from you its been a while.
    I do hope that you are well.

    I like mizuna. My husbands not so keen sadly. We have some rocket in the garden still, so will enjoy that before the hardy weather kills it off. I am envious of your oca. I've never grown or tasted it, but am really curious. One-day I will.

    True - can't beat the taste of homegrown carrots or tomatoes! Take care.

  4. What beautiful photos. You still have some colour in your garden, which is cheery :)

    I have a glut of Jerusalem artichokes so I'm going to make your Jerusalem Artichoke soup with ginger and walnuts, thanks for saving the day again!

  5. I love to see your garden, it's looking lovely and autumnal! If I had those blackberries in my garden they'd be long gone (into my tummy..sorry birds!)

  6. Thank you so much Charley,
    So good to hear from you and welcoem back from your blogger break. If you follow the link below, it will take you to my Jerusalem artichoke risotto recipe, as well as crips and gratin.

    Thanks Sooz.
    Lucky you with the blackberries, I just don't have enough to harvest for a sweet dish.

  7. Thanks so much! and thank you for your kind words and finding the time to reply to me :) x

  8. Charley,
    You are so Welcome. Its a pleasure, honest.x

  9. Hello Mangocheeks,

    Your garden is beautiful despite the coming cold weather. Have you ever tried Sambucol as an immune system booster or daily probiotic capsules? Both seem to work well at staving off colds and such for me.

    I'm wondering whether you have a good recipe for a lentil-based soup?

    We've our first cool weather of the season this weekend and the flat is drafty, so I'm looking to make a soup and put some away for later.

    How is the job search?

    Take care and do feel better!

  10. It's all so beautiful. The last of everything in the garden is always a little bittersweet, but there's enough for a good soup and an apple pie with a good bottle of wine to wash it all down.
    Bon Appetit.....

  11. Thank you E,

    The garden is not looking so pretty, but it has given me some veg this year, which is a blessing. I've never tried Sambucol - will check it out. I do tend to add a dose of echinacea to my hot herbal drinks though.

    I have some lentil recipes in my side bar. Is there are particular type of lentil soup you are looking for? Let me now and I will see what I can come up with.

    Well, I am officially surplus staff. I have been looking for work outside of the organisation, but nothing. If they cannot find me other work internally that match my skills, chances are redundancy is on the cards. So it is still a waiting game. Kindest of wishes.

    Thank you so much farmlady.
    Apple pie does sound good. I've made plenty of cakes, but no pies. mmmmmm. Warmest of wishes to you.

  12. Hello,

    Sorry to hear of your possible redundancy, waiting in such a situation can be worrisome, to say the least.

    I have dried lentals, curry powder, some bay leaf and a packet of stew veggies as well as some frozen spinach...What I'm looking for is something that can be made in the slow cooker, tastes good and can be set aside for cold days or evenings.

    Best to you!

  13. Thanks e,
    I was only notified of this on Friday. Its not the best of times for me at the moment, with my dear father in law passing away a little while ago too.

    Let me see what I can come up with. Hopefully something will appear for you on my blog by next weekend.

  14. Oh your garden looks so yummy! Do you ever leave your carrots in over winter?

  15. Thanks ColorSlut.
    No I don't - unless of course i've forgotten about them, which I have done so in the past.

  16. your pictures tell a perfect story of your garden harvest. I love the carrot photo. You're doing well to be pulling veggies still.

  17. Thank you Nic.
    The carrot photo is my favourite too :)
    Truth is I've been supplementing a lot of what i've grown this, so harveting has been more leisurely than active. One-day I'll get that bigger growing space again.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You