Wednesday, 20 April 2011

Wild Garlic Roti and 'Curry'

I tentatively use the word 'curry' here only to attract traffic, as many people understandably relate 'curry' to South Asian cuisine.  But the real descriptive I'd use for this South Asian inspired dish is Salan or even handi

Handi in Urdu, Punjabi and Hindi translates as a cooking pot; a cooking vessel.  Again some of you may be familiar with the term 'Balti' which means bucket, but I have never met a South Asian person who refers to their cooking pots at home as 'Balti'.  I think 'Handi' is far more appropriate and closer to homely cooking. 
The Wild Garlic and Chickpea Salan was full of flavour and rather buttery.  Its important to add the wild garlic towards the end of cooking, add it too soon and you will lose all that wild garlicky - chivey flavour.
I served this Wild Garlic Chickpea Salan with some Wild Garlic Roti also known as Chapatti's.  I enjoy eating methi aka fenugreek roti's, but in its places I decided to add some minced wild garlic and without sounding big headed, it tasted splendid and was a nice change.  Its very unlike me, but I forgot to take a picture of the rotis as my hands were full flipping the flattened dough between my palms, before slapping it down on the tava (cast iron skillet) to cook, and then I was just too hungry to wait. I'll probably make some more in the next few days, if you can be patient, but if not and you want to make some Wild Garlic Rotis at home, there are so many Methi Roti and Methi Paratha recipes on blogosphere.  Just find one you like and just substitute the fresh fenugreek leaves for wild garlic leaves. 
Wild Garlic and Chickpea Salan/Handi
Serves 4
Ingredients
150g full fat butter or ghee
2 large onions, minced
1 fat clove of garlic, crushed
1 inch of ginger, grated or minced
1 teaspoon of salt or to taste
1 teaspoon chilli powder or to taste
1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder
2 fresh chillies, sliced
4 fresh tomatoes, skinned and chopped or 200g tinned tomatoes, chopped

400g canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
Good handful of chopped wild garlic
Method
In a large wide pan, melt butter then add the minced onions, garlic and ginger and cook until transparent, add the spices and the fresh chillies and cook until the fat of the butter comes to the surface. Add the tomatoes and cook until well integrated. Then add the chickpeas, stir and turn heat down. Keep stirring to stop the beans from sticking to the pan, about 5 minutes before turning the gas off, stir in the wild garlic and allow it to wilt.  This is a dry salan; but if you want it to have a little liquid, add 150ml - 250ml water to the pot, bring to the boil, let it simmer until the flavours have infused into the water. Serve with rice or roti.

6 comments:

  1. This just looks so yummy Mangocheeks!!! I love one pot cooking, and this is just my kind of food. Unfortunately I have no patience with making rotis, but have trained my husband to do that, as he loves chapathis :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mangocheeks, you are so knowledgeable! your blog is a feast of linguistics as well as of gastronomy.
    When I was in Nepal in my Army days, one of my favourite dishes was Chana Saag - the Saag being any available type of green leafy vegetable. I think it was mostly the sort of thing we call Komatsuna - a mustardy, spinachey sort of thing. Your dish would be very similar I think

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, this dish looks delicious. I love chickpeas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Michelle.
    I actually enjoy making rotis aka chappatis, I find it soewhat therapeutic - is something wrong with me - I'm just not that keen on kneading the dough.


    Thank you Sandie.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Mark.
    I'm not that knowledgeable, it just comes across that way in my blog - but I am curious and always willing to learn.

    Funny you should mention Chana Saag, I am making a Channa Dal with Wild Garlic soon. I know what you mean about Channa Saag, this dish is def. a varation of it. I'm interested in your reference to Komatsuna, so will be doigna little reading on that. You may be interested in a blog entry of mine on the difference between Saag and Palak.
    http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.com/2009/04/saag-and-palak-difference.html


    Thank you so much yummychunklet.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You