Saturday, 30 April 2011

Chocolate and Violet Cake

Visually I know this cake doesn't live up to its tempting name: 'Chocolate and Violet Cake', but I assure you despite its lack of colouring in either purple, violet or indigo - You just have to take one bite of its squidgy marvel and you will be swayed without a doubt.
This is really a Chocolate Brownie cake .  The flavour of the violets are really subtle and more in scent.  Its really best eaten on the day, as the squishy damp wedge in the centre turns fudgy-hard the following day.  I guess thats okay if your a Chocoholic, but for me it was like eating a chocolate pebble.
I could have made my life easy and just added some violet syrup to the cake, but I decided to make some 'Violet Sugar'.  Its simple, I took the idea of lavender sugar and just replaced it with crystallised violets.  

I just wish I had some lovely fresh violets to decorate my cake, to make it look more like its given name: Chocolate and Violet Cake. It is often said that people eat with their eyes first, well this time they will have to close their eyes.
Chocolate and Violet Brownie cake
Serves 6 - 8
Ingredients
175g unsalted butter , plus extra for greasing
225g dark chocolate , broken into pieces
200g (violet infused) caster sugar
3 medium eggs, separated
65g plain flour
50g chopped pecan nuts
Optional: fresh or crystallised violets for garnish
Method
Heat oven to gas mark 4. Butter a 8 inch round cake tin and line with greaseproof paper.
Place 175g of the chocolate, plus the butter and sugar in a heavy-based pan and heat gently until melted, stirring occasionally. Leave to cool.
Whisk the egg yolks into the chocolate mixture, then add the flour, pecan nuts and the remaining chocolate.
Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks, then gently, but thoroughly, fold into the chocolate mixture.
Pour into the prepared tin and bake in the centre of the oven for about 35-40 minutes until crusty on top. Leave to cool, then run a knife around the sides and remove from the tin. Garnish with optional violets and gently dust with icing sugar.  Serve warm with ice cream or cold with whipped cream. Recipe adapted from here.

10 comments:

  1. Would decoration with violet buttercream be too much? Just a few swirls around the edge. Then you can put crystalised violets onto the swirls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely and delicate treat for any gardener`s senses. Violet infused sugar, the perfect addition to any tea or cakes.
    Have a great weekend ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh! I wonder if this recipe would work with dried lavender. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so delicious and I love the idea of the violet sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure that I like violet flavour, is it anything like the violet heart sweets? LOL!
    The cake looks lovely, dark and fudgy and can imagine that it woul be amazing with vanilla ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  6. MorningAJ
    I think violet buttercream woudl be too much, but not if the violet was whipped swirls of double cream and then garnished with crystalised violets - thanks for the idea, I will keep that in mind for next time.


    Thank you Ana Powell.
    You have a great weekend too ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummychunklet.
    It definately will. I Have made lavender brownies in the past so can confirm!
    http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.com/2010/12/lavender-brownie-butterfly.html


    Thank you Kath.
    I made the violet sugar with the shop bought crstallized violets that are much harder than your delicate home made violet petals.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nic,
    I have to be honest and say that I do not remember the taste of the violet heart sweets, so I think my answer woudl be its different.
    Do you remember a retro sweet called parma violets, well I think they are much closer in flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmhm, violets. This cake looks lovely.
    I think I'm going to make some violet sugar for next time I do some baking - great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Greedy Rosie.
    Its nice stirred into hot chocolate too x

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You