Saturday, 16 April 2011

Parsnip and Quinoa Burger

Well I hope you have enjoyed my spotlight on the Parsnip this week, as these 'Parsnip and Quinoa Burgers' are the last of my parsnip recipes for now. 

I've actually enjoyed eating vegetables in burgers. For me its been a nice change from soya mince, beans, pulses and legumes. Veggie burgers such as this one also allows overlooked and under-rated vegetables play a starring role. I am willing to bet that if you were chomping on this veggie burger, you would be talking quite loudly about the inclusion of parsnips, hence its starring role. The natural sweetness of the parsnips in this burger is not particularly overwhelming, but is balanced well with the light spices and the speckled goodness of Quinoa. This is not a sloppy burger either, it holds very well on cooking and more importantly on eating. Overall, I think you will be impressed at the versatility of the humble parsnip.

The recipe for these are loosely based on the 'Beetroot and Quinoa Burgers' I made last month.  I was thinking of omitting the spelt flour, but without it the mixture was too loose, so its essential for a firm burger.  The spelt flour also adds a little nutty flavour to the burgers.
Parsnip and Quinoa Burgers
Makes 6 – 8 burgers
Ingredients
100g Fairtrade whole Quinoa
175ml vegetable stock or water
1 - 2 medium parsnips, steamed and mashed
1 medium onion, grated
80g - 100g spelt flour, chickpea flour (or wholemeal flour)
1 generous teaspoon garam masala
½ teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon fresh parsley, minced
Salt to taste
Vegetable oil to shallow fry
Method
Rinse the Quinoa in cold water. Boil in 175ml water for 10 minutes covered with a lid. Remove the saucepan from the heat, mix in a little salt and level on side for 10 minutes covered. In large bowl, add the mashed parsnips and grated onion, stir in the flour, spices, parsley and salt to taste. When the Quinoa has cooled down add to the bowl. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
Divide the mixture into 6 – 8 burger shapes and place on a tray. Leave to rest for a while to firm up. When ready to eat, heat oil in a wide frying pan and cook them gently, flip over and press them gently whilst cooking. Cook for about 4 – 5 minutes on each side until brown and crisp. Serve immediately

19 comments:

  1. What an original recipe! I would never have thought to make something like this with quinoa or parsnips. Love your spotlight on parsnips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of parsnip recipes lately. :) Great how much food you can make of one vegetable! (I've been visiting your blog all the time, just haven't commented.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love everything about these burgers! It's been so long since I made burger patties! These are definitely on my must-do list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow great burgers and the cake looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have thoroughly enjoyed your parsnip-themed posts - it's one of the veggies that mystifies me the most. I think this one is my favourite... or is it the samosa pies? Can't decided, they all look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, these look really delicious! I love making vegetable burgers, and much prefer them to those made with soya mince or (shudder) mashed potato with bits of chopped veg in it. I've never understood why commercially made burgers always resemble the most unpleasant burger-van creations, rather than something, y'know, delicious!
    Will be making these for dinner today, as a reward for going to the allotment :)
    Much love, my friend

    ReplyDelete
  7. We made your beetroot and quinoa burgers last week and they were fantastic. I used curry paste instead of powder and gram flour instead of spelt but they still worked out really well. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, my mouth is watering just looking at that parsnip quinoa burger. I will have to share your posting with friends! Perfect for the religious fasting coming up next week and everyweek for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have such a wonderful website!
    It's great to see food used in new and exciting ways.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello! Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving comments. I hope you'll visit again. I just tried quinoa recently for the very first time when I made a quinoa salad for French Fridays with Dorie and loved it so much that I bought a large bag at the store and plan to incorporate it into our diet. Your burger looks so tasty. Definitely a recipe I would like to try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for this, I have a bag of quinoa in the pantry - unopened - as I have not yet found anything tempting to make with it! This might just get me to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks lovely, but I am intrigued by the photo in your second photograph here...who is that?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you A Busy Nest.


    Thanks Lela.


    Thank you Charlie.


    Thank you Rebecca.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Monica.
    I'm sos glad you've enjoyed the parsnip recipes, hope you get round to making on of them.


    Thank you so much littleblackfox.
    If they are home made, I odn't mind mashed potato with bits of chopped veg in it as I know whwere they have come from, but not supermarket bought.
    I do hope you enjoyed these, as its sounds like your were deserved of an good hearty edible reward for going to the allotment :) Wish I was accompanying you though, as I am missing that growign aspect this time of year :(


    Thanks Funkbunny.
    Its so great to read that you made the Beetroot and quinoa burgers, so glad you liked them.
    I don't have curry paste at home, but do gram flour and can imagine the flavour enhanced. Gram is a great sub. for spelt (thanks for reminding me), in fact I am going to up-date this post.


    Thank you so much Angela.
    I hope your friends approve of this recipe, as vegetable burgers don't always go down with people, especially for those who like a little meat.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you sanyaliving.
    I do appreciate you lovely comment.


    Thank you for repaying the compliment Elaine.
    Its also appreciated. I hope you get a chance to make these burgers with your supply of Quinoa.


    Thank you so much Cabbage Tree Farm.
    I am glad I have given you an excuse now to open you Quinoa bag.


    Thank you e.
    I tend to use homely props in my photographs, these tend to be tea towels and records. This photo you are referring to is one of my husbands album - its Marianne Faithful. in the past i've used Elvis, the Waterboys, Billy Bragg and may others that are not too obvious.
    Warm wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These burgers look yummy, Mango. I like the garam masala touch for seasoning.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much Barbara.

    I do think garam masala and parsnips work well together.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yum ... I love Quinoa ... these look really good. I will let you know when we try them! Also, thanks for visiting our blog. We have already eaten a lot of the carrot cake!
    ~Michele

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you Michele.
    I do hope you enjoy if you do make them. I still have your blueberry ice cream recipe to make.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen