Monday, 4 April 2011

Black Bean and Red Pepper Stew

Things are little chaotic around me at the moment; and the rain falling horizontally is not cheering me up either. So I hope you won't mind me sharing with you this 'Black Bean and Red Pepper Stew' that I made a little while ago.

The recipe is described as a stew, yet it reminded me more of a 'vegetarian chilli bean'.  Despite the number of spices in this this stew, it wasn't overly spicy, just warming. I liked the flavour of the creamy black beans and the crunch of the red pepper. As with most stew and chilli like recipes, this tasted much better the day after, so its worth making in advance and reheating.
Serve with jacket potatoes; or plain boiled Basmati rice with an optional dollop of soured cream.
Black Bean and Red Pepper Stew
Serves 4 - 6
300g black beans, soaked overnight
5 cups of water
½ teaspoon salt
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium onions, sliced
2 stalks of celery, peeled and sliced
3 – 4 cloves garlic, sliced
3 teaspoons cumin, keep half of them whole, ground the other half
1½teaspoon coriander, ground
1 teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon dried basil (optional)
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon chilli flakes
1 red onion, chopped into pieces
1 x 400g tinned tomatoes, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
Salt to taste
Handful of fresh coriander, chopped
Rinse and drain the beans, Place in a medium pan with water, ¼ teaspoon salt and bay leaf. Bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, cover and simmer for 1 ½ hours, or until beans are soft. When the beans are cooked, drain them in a colander, reserving the cooking liquid.
In a large pan, heat the oil. Add the onions, garlic and celery and cook for 10 - 15 minutes or so until soft, then add in all the spices and cook for 5 minutes, before adding in the chopped tomatoes. Stir and simmer for 10 minutes, then add in the chopped pepper and black beans. Cook on high heat for 5 minutes, then stir in the remaining cooked liquid and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes until all the ingredients come together as a good stew. Taste and adjust seasoning and sprinkle with coriander. Adapted from Food for the Spirit by Manuela Dunn Masceti and Arunima Borthwick.


  1. Black beans, I love; Red Peppers, I hate! Well, to be more exact, Red Peppers hate me...

  2. Mark,
    Shame that red peppers don't agree with you.
    You can replace the red pepper with a yellow or orange one, if you wish.

  3. It's a rainy day here, too, Mango, and this black bean stew would hit the spot. I like the combination of spices in it - warming indeed.

  4. Mmmm yummy! I love black beans and red peppers :-)

    Blessings, Debra
    Raw Vegan Diet

  5. Thank you Barbara.
    Its def. warming - perfect for a rainy day.

    Thank you Debra.

  6. This dish looks perfect for those chilly days in!

  7. This looks delicious, we love black beans and I usually add diced tomatoes, I'm going to give this a try soon! Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful week!

  8. looks like good comfort food - sounds like you need it - sending warm positive thoughts your way

  9. All your recipes are just so lovely. I'm sure everyone appreciates how much time and effort you put into presenting a post. I will definitely be putting this one aside (with many others of yours) for when our weather cools down more! Much appreciated. Cheers Wendy

  10. I will send Florida sunshine your way, if you send a bowl of this goodness, my way. Looks awesome.


  11. Sorry to hear you're less than cheery and life is chaotic...I'm in need of some warmth after rain myself and this looks perfect!

    Be well and know that chaos passes. Thanks for this recipe.

  12. This is right up my alley. Black pepper haters should sub sweet potato or butternut squash. IMHO. :) Actually, I want to take this chili and eat it over a jacket sweet potato.

    I HOPE some of that rain has subsided and you've had some of the glorious weather we've been having here in the SW.

  13. This looks to be a great mid-week supper. I've got a chicken and white bean stew that is my standby. It is more like a soup because it is quite brothy, but when something is good, it's good!

  14. We love Black Beans, Navy Beans, Pinto Beans, you name it! Thanks for posting this wonderful recipe. As always visiting your site is a pleasure.

  15. Oh I like everything in this wonderful stew and I hope the chaos around you has settled down, maybe you've even enjoyed a few days with bright blue skies;-)

  16. Thank you yummychunklet.

    Thanks Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes.

    Thanks Johanna GGG.
    Your warm positive thoughts are gratefully appreicated.

    Thank you so much for your lovely comment Wendy aka the Duchess_declutter.

    Thanks Velva.
    I'd love to send you a bowl of this stew :)
    The sunshine is starting to peep through, but then it hides behind the bursting clouds of rain. Still waiting for sunshine.

  17. Thank you for your kind comment e.
    I do hope things are well for you x

    Thanks Monica.
    I do like the idea of subbing sweet potato or butternut squash. I made a version with 'Pumpkin, Leek and Black beans'.

    The weather in Scotland is so changeable. The sun has been teasing us all day today, but it is accompanied by bursts of rain. I know you've had glorious sunshine in the SW. I was down South for a few days so got to witness it. It compeltely felt like a different country - well I guess it is - This is Scotland, and you are in England.

    I also want to say, I know you have been a reader of mine for a long time, and i have always appreciated that. I would now also like to say Thank you so much for choosing to become a follower.

    Thanks PurestGreen.
    Its interesting to read your 'Chicken and white bean stew' is more like a soup. Its funny the labels we give to recipes!

    Thanks Dee.
    Its always good to hear from you.

    Thank you so much Patty.
    The chaos around me continues, but we are managing to cope. It seems that the blue skies want to come through, but the grey clouds float by just as fast. Hopefully not for too long.

  18. This looks really tasty. Could do with some of that right now!


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You