Sunday, 24 April 2011

Wild Garlic Pakora

Oh I couldn't resist, I just had to have some deep fried goodness.  Here are some in the form of Wild Garlic Pakora aka Bhaji's - golden-green, crisp and crunchy.
I know the wild garlic star like flower heads are very pretty, but I found myself covering some with batter and then deep frying them.  I liked how the delicate crispness of the wild garlic flower heads shattered between my teeth.

If you don't try any other Wild Garlic recipe on my blog, please try this one. I think you will like it.
Wild Garlic Pakora or Bhajis
Serves a crowd
Ingredients
1 medium onion, cut in half then thinly sliced
1 medium potato, peeled and cut into small cubes
60g – 80g wild garlic, washed, blanched and then chopped
120g – 180g chickpea flour
1½ - 2 teaspoon chilli powder
1 – 2 green chillies, minced
1 generous teaspoon cumin seeds
Salt to taste

Water to combine
Vegetable oil to deep fry
Method
Put all the ingredients (except for the water and oil) and mix together. Then add enough water to bind, you want to achieve a free form dropping consistency.  Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.  I like to let the mixture sit for 30 minutes or so for the flavour to mingle.

Heat the oil in a large pan or deep fat fryer, drop a couple of large tablespoons of batter gently into the hot oil, cook on one side for a couple of minutes until crispy and then turn over until the other side is crisp and golden too. Drain on a paper towel to get rid of excess oil.  Continue cooking this way, until all the pakora mix is used. Eat immediately, while fresh and crispy.

10 comments:

  1. these look delicious!! i am a pakora freak!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you have got the most out of this wild garlic, haven't you? I do love a pakora - just wish they were a bit better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These do sound delicious Managocheeks and a cracking idea. I don't do deep frying, but if I did, I'd be giving these a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Rachel.
    I love my pakoras too and can easily eat a try full in one sitting, but mustn't as its greedy and not the healthiest of snacks on this blog :)


    Thanks Rosie.
    I certainly have and have a little more to come.
    Your right pakoras are not the kindest to your body, but in some doses it does no harm.


    Thank you Choclette.
    A little bit of deep fried food now and again does wonders for the mind :) if not the body :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. How interesting. I think my brother-in-law has some wild garlic growing in his backyard - like weeds. I took pictures of it while there yesterday as it is in flower and looks like the flowers in your photo. If it is garlic, I will have to try making this, but I am not sure I know where to find chickpea flour here. Perhaps Whole Foods might have it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Elaine,
    Lovely to make your acquaintance.

    You may know chickpea flour as garbanzo flour, its also known as gram flour and besan. Hope you find some to make these pakoras.

    PS I'll be posting another picutre of the wild garlic flowers soon, so come back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, these look so good! I keep looking out for wild garlic when I'm out walking but there doesn't seem to be any around my area. Will have to look further afield. Some day I'll grow my own little patch, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Nome.
    Do think before you sow your own wild garlic. Its a really invasive plant, so I'd recommend hunting out a free source.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I finally got around to making these, and I'm so glad I did, they were delicious! Thank you for the recipe.
    http://grainysgarden.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/indian-veggie-feast-including-wild.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you did Grainy.
      I spotted some wild garlic today on my drives, but it was pouring with rain that I dared not get out of the car. Still have plans to go to Castel Coch in the next week or so. I won't mind if I miss out on wild garlic this year, as I feel like I overdosed on it last year a bit :)

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You