Friday, 22 April 2011

No Knead Wild Garlic Focaccia

I'm not very adept at making bread from scratch.  My efforts often mean measuring flour, yeast, salt and water and then adding it to my bread maker to do all the muscle work.  This is not to suggest that I've never made bread from scratch, I have a kneaded dough a few times and have enjoyed the results immensely.  Homemade bread is so much more superior from supermarket brands.  Sadly though I just don't have the patience of waiting for the dough to rise; then whilst reading a fellow bloggers blog I was reminded of focaccia and how simple it was to make.

I've made focaccia bread once in my life.  I remember topping it with sundreid tomatoes and sliced black olives, it was delicious.  So with all this foraged wild garlic stinking up my flat, it occurred to me to incorporate some into the focaccia recipe.  It was lovely, the wild garlic infused the bread wonderfully.   
The original recipe for No Knead Focaccia comes from Laura at My Seasonal Food Blog.  I've adapted it a little.  First I've reduced the quantity as her quantities serve a family; secondly I've added wild garlic to the dough. 
No Knead Wild Garlic Focaccia
Serves 3 - 4
265g bread flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dry active yeast
225ml luke warm water (you may not need to use it all)
A few leaves of wild garlic, washed and minced
Olive oil
For the topping: sea salt and wild garlic, washed and shredded
In a large bowl, stir flour, salt and yeast together until well combined.  Add minced wild garlic and warm water and stir well until a sticky dough is formed. Let rise, covered, in a warm place for about 45 minutes to an hour.
Preheat oven to Gas mark 8. Lightly oil baking pan and then add the dough to it and using your fingertips stretch the dough to fit the baking tin.  Drizzle the dough with olive oil, evenly scatter over the sea salt and shredded wild garlic.  Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.  Serve immediately.


  1. I recently made foccacia and worried that my kneading might have made it too tough. I like your no-knead version!

  2. Thank you yummychunklet.

    Thanks Soumya.

  3. I need to convince my husband that garlic is delicious! Wish me luck! I want to try this!

  4. Lovely to hear form you Chilean Woman.
    Funny I was thinking about you a few days ago :)
    Wishing you luck!!!

  5. I think I'll try to make this this weekend. It sounds simple, but really good and I have garlic coming up where it shouldn't be in my garden.

  6. Hi Kateri.
    So lovely to hear from you.
    I hope the focaccia works out well for you as it did for me.

  7. Love the focaccia and love not kneading because I am lazy! I am gonna see if we have wild garlic at the Portland farmers market today.

  8. Thanks Anna.
    Hope you find some at the Portland Farmers market, but I'd strongly recommend locating a free source as many places charge extortionate prices for what is a weed!

  9. So glad to hear it came out well -- adding wild garlic is a wonderful idea, I'll have to try it!


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You