Sunday, 24 April 2011

Wild Garlic Roti

I mentioned in my Wild Garlic Salan blog post that I had made some Wild Garlic Roti, but hadn't for whatever reason got round to taking a photograph of it.  This time I made sure I did, so here are some warm home-made Wild Garlic Roti's.  I am hoping to make some Wild Garlic Parathas stuffed with spicy wild garlic and potato mash.  Oh I can already imagine it already: flaky, buttery and wonderfully spiced, but one step at a time.  
There have not been that many culinary occasions in my life where I have been invited to eat with my fingers, but when there is roti aka chapatti; even the naan bread or paratha on the table, I know that I happily can.  Here I enjoyed it with Wild Garlic Channa Dal.
 Scooping in and then
 Scooping out - the torn piece of roti acts like a edible spoon.
Wild Garlic Roti
Makes 4 - 6
Ingredients
250g chappati flour
25g - 30g wild garlic leaves, washed and minced
Luke warm water
Method
Tip the flour and the minced wild garlic leaves into a bowl, then make a well in the centre of the flour, add a little cold water at a time and knead until combined and smooth. Form the dough into a ball and leave to rest for 15 - 30 minutes and cover.
When ready to cook, divide into four - six equal parts and shape into small balls.  Roll out the dough to a thickness of about ¼ inch.
Heat the tava, griddle pan or a wide non stick frying pan and cook until both sides are brown.
Serve as an accompaniment to an South Asian meal.

5 comments:

  1. these look incredibly delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like chapatti. Didn't realise it was the same thing as roti though, so that's interesting. Would have no idea where to get the flour. What is chapatti flour anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Muppy.



    Thanks Choclette.
    You'll get the flour from South Asian grocers and wholesalers. It tends to go under the name 'Atta'. Atta is basically chappati/roti flour made from whole wheat flour that is very finely milled (low in gluten) in the Indian subcontinent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adding garlic to rot is is very interesting concept.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You