Friday, 29 April 2011

Wild Garlic Tabouli

Well the 'Wild Garlic Chronicles' have come to a happy end.  I know some of you will be relieved and some disappointed, but hey there is so much Wild Garlic a girl can eat and I have certainly eaten more than my fair share. 
Just in case any of you have been wondering about 'side effects' to consuming copious amounts of Wild Garlic, I can truthfully report that there have been no belly upsets or wakey wakey nights. I have really found wild garlic agreeable.
The last dish on my blog (for this year at least) to contain fresh wild garlic is Tabouli or Tabbouleh.  Tabouli  is a Lebanese salad made with a grain called bulgar wheat. The salad is enhanced with a lot of fresh parsley, mint and lemon for seasoning. You know there is even a Tabbouli Song

The first time I ever had Tabouli was whilst at University. I was invited for lunch at the home of a Scottish-Armenian friend.  I was so amazed to see her put the salad together there right before my eyes.  She made a mound.  A few years later, I saw Tabouli as part of a light buffet.  Tabouli is definitely one of those dishes you make for sharing.  Here is a Fairtrade Tabouli recipe. My recipe is very similar, except in place of the mint I've added about 6 leaves of minced wild garlic, black olives and some red pepper for colour.


  1. This sounds yummy. Oddly I've just done a how to make salads more interesting post on my Auntie Anne blog. I didn't have tabbouleh though. Should have done!

    I'm going to miss the wild garlic. What's next on the ingredients list?

  2. Lovely! I do enjoy a salad like this. A sad farewell to wild garlic until next year. (I still haven't found any!)

  3. Our small wild garlic patch is beginning to look past its best so I shall be bookmarking these pages for next year and will start utilising this lovely leaf earlier!

    Thanks for these recipes.

  4. Thank you MorningAJ.
    I'll come over in a while to check out your link post. I'm always looking for ideas to jazz up a salad.

    Tomorrow on the menu is cake! and maybe some pictures of us enjoying the sunshine; or the garden plot.

  5. Thank you Jacqueline.
    I'm sorry you haven't found any. Have you paid a visit to Camperdown Country Park? No saying there is any there, but its worth checking out this weekend. Wild garlic is in bloom now, so You should be guided by the smell and the star like flowers.

  6. Thank you so much Ray and I do hope you make and enjoy them.
    I'll be moving from Scotland next year, either to Wales/England and uncertain whether i will find a wild garlic source where I live, but I will sure be looking and if I find some, I will def. be creating some more wild garlic recipes.

  7. It looks very yummy!! I want to try it too. My yard was full of wild garlics and I turned them into sweet and sour pickles... :)

  8. I love all your wild garlic recipes, Mango. You have been a busy forager, that's for sure. I especially like the feta tart.

  9. wow you make me wish I could forage for wild garlic too - I am a huge fan of denis cotter's book and would love to try it but if I see these sort of ingredients my mind often draws a blank and I worry I will waste it - if I ever come across wild garlic I must remember all your posts

  10. I love a great salad and this looks yummy!!! I love your blog and look forward to each post. This is why I am awarding you the Versatile Bloggers award....Check it out at Congratulations and all the best!

  11. Thank you Geni.
    Please share your sweet and sour pickle recipe :)

    Thank you so much Barbara GF.

    Thanks Johanna GGG.
    I understand what you mean.

  12. Thank you Beauty and the Green.
    It is very kind of you to nominate me for the
    Versatile Bloggers award. I am humbled. Kind wishes.

    Thank you Matron.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You