Thursday, 1 September 2011

Blueberry Cake

I usually put a lot more thought into what I am going to cook or bake, but having picked around 100g of fresh blueberries from the garden yesterday morning, I needed blueberry inspiration, and I don't mean muffins.   
So without much thought, I plucked one of the first recipes that appeared on the U.K internet.  I made this recipe for Blueberry Cake, minus the lemon zest and lemon drizzle. 
Well as soon as I looked in the oven, I felt like I was back at school again as the result was like one of my school girls efforts, rather disappointing.  I was terrible at home economics at school.

Firstly, the cake took much longer to bake - almost 45 minutes. The texture was also very crumby and buttery. I think the original recipe assumes you have a food processor as part of the instructions was to 'place all the ingredients in a bowl and beat'. I did this the old fashioned way by hand, and may have over mixed.  So although the cake was edible, it was not particularly enjoyable. I have posted the recipe and link to the original, but I am not recommending it.  I just wanted to share what I had done with my homegrown blueberries. By the way, if you do have a good blueberry recipe (other than blueberry muffins), please do share.  It will be most appreciated and I will certainly keep it in mind for the next time.
Blueberry Cake
Serves 8
Ingredeints
100g softened butter
175g self-raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
175g golden caster sugar
2 eggs
6 tablespoons milk
100g blueberries
Method
Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Place all ingredients except the berries into a large bowl and beat until smooth. Spread into a lined 18cm cake tin and sprinkle the berries over. Bake for 25 mins until golden.
Cut into slices when cool. Adapted from here.

16 comments:

  1. I recommend blueberry Clafoutis. Worth a try next time you have some berries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mark,
    I will def. keep that in mind as the more recipes I have in my repotoire the more I can experiment. I've been inspired by another recipe that I will use for next time as it will use my 2009 homemade elderflower champagne. Hopefully, it'll be good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im glad Im not the only one who blogs about experiments I try with food that don't work out as well as I had hoped, but I feel by posting the "not so good" recipes it saves others making the same mistake. I use mine in pancakes and yoghurt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I screamed (inwardly) when I read 'Blueberry Cake'. Everything with berries just call out to me. I'm sorry the cake didn't turn out well, it looks beautiful though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks WONDERFUL Shaheen, and I DO love any berries in a cake too!
    Karen @ Lavender and Lovage

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello supergran, nice to make your acquaintance. I think its only right, if your going to share good nes, so should be the case for the flops too. Come back later in the week, when I have other slight flops
    to share. PS If I only harvest a few berries, I will just add them to pancakes and yoghurt.


    Hi Sumaiyyah.
    Yeah, I was quite excited too, until I cut into it.


    Thank you Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Storm - deleted your message and link by error. I Apologise, I hope you'll come back

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well crap! I hate when a recipe doesn't turn out right :-/ The cake really looks very rustic and pretty, I'm sorry it didn't taste better. I wish I could grow my own blueberries!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks MegSmith.
    I agree, its rather annoying.
    It took me a good five years to get my own bluberries, its the first year my little blueberry bush has given me enough for cake!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah bummer. Did it taste any good though - I always smother cake in custard if it doesn't look the part but the taste is there.
    BTW I'm intrigued by fruit and chili recipes. Here's one I'd like to try but unfortunately, find blueberries to be too bland!
    http://www.chillies-down-under.com/chilli-sauce-recipes.html#BlueChip

    BTW2. Did you catch Gardener's World on friday? It featured allotments in Abertillery - made me think of you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a shame your cake did not turn out. I was rubbish at Home Ec in school too and look at us now lol!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love blueberries and have lots of recipes with them on my blog. Thanks for visiting, and your cake looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i'm sorry you weren't happy with the results! i have two great recipes that involve blueberries:

    http://bit.ly/qgiMei and http://bit.ly/mZHsn3

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry your first harvest was wasted on a cake that didn't work out well :(
    But it sure *looks* good. Besides, trying out new recipes is supposed to have some lame ducks in it. But mostly it is very rewarding, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the blueberries in it - they always look gorgeous but you want to enjoy the taste too!

    ! haven't found a blueberry cake to love - though I have a blueberry muffin recipe that is great - I always mean to try a blueberry cake off 101 cookbooks with lots of molasses and not a lot of sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sorry your cake didn't work out although it certainly looks pretty. Here's a link to a blueberry cake recipe I have made successfully twice: http://missrachel.com/?p=1324. Please let me know if you try it.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You