Monday, 5 September 2011

Janssons Frestelse aka Swedish Potato Gratin

The yellow theme - yellow food continues on my blog.

This recipe is based on the classic Swedish gratin of potatoes baked in cream, otherwise known as Janssons Frestelse. Some of you may also know it as 'Jansson's Temptation'.

It is traditionally made with potatoes, onions, anchovies and cream. Of course, my version is suitable for vegetarians, hence its minus the salty anchovies.

It was really good, only one problem it doesn't photograph well. Still who cares?!

Vegetarian Janssons Frestelse or Potato Gratin
Serves 6 as an accompaniment
Ingredients
60g butter
2 onions, finely sliced
900g waxy potatoes,
300ml single cream
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
Grease the gratin dish with a little butter.  Then melt half of the butter in a wide pan, add the onions and cook until soft and lightly golden.
Cut the potatoes into matstick-sized piecesor use a mandolin, if yu have one,  Layer the potatoes and onion into the gratin dish, starting and ending with potatoes.  Season between the layers.
Dot with the remaining butter and put in a preheated oven Gas Mark 5 for 10 minutes.  Remove fromt he oven, pour over half the cream and return to the oven for a futher 10 minutes.  Pour over the remaining cream and cook for 30 - 40 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and golden brown.  Serve immediately.

7 comments:

  1. I DO know and love this dish and have also made it minus the anchovies, another GREAT recipe and post!
    Karen @ Lavender and Lovage

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who cares as long as it tastes good? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, my, that looks soo GOOD!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! I love potatoes and I'm sure I can make a vegan version of this!

    Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds delicious - perfect winter comfort food as the evenings draw in :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A nice gratin dish you have here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know it wouldn't suit you, but I'd probably put some bacon lardons in it! :) Oh, and loads of garlic.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You