Saturday, 3 September 2011

Carrot Pancakes

I often share with you some good honest home made dishes, but as you can imagine I do have my fair share of flops. In the next few days, I will share with you some of them.

This is the first: Carrot Pancakes. I mean what can go wrong, its only flour, water and grated carrots?!
Well although perfectly edible, these were extremely heavy, chewy and doughy - too much flour and not enough water.  The recipe needs tweaking and until I am happy with it I won't be sharing it with you.  What was lovely about this dish though and what made the carrot pancakes 'edible' was the last of my homemade Tomato Chilli Jam that served as an excellent accompaniment. 
I have to admit I was rather surprised at the way were mopped up and relished the Tomato Chilli Jam, because when I made it I wasn't that happy with the consistency.  I think there is something deep in my psyche that made me appreciate it more.  One, it was homemade and two, it was made with tomatoes we had grown when we had our allotment plot in 2009.

7 comments:

  1. Well they sound super interesting! Love the tomato chili jam. Can't wait for the tweaks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious ....that's wonderful idea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow congrats on the 1000 blog post! That's dedication for you! Have a nice few days off :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Tomato Chilli Jam looks delicious. I'm partial to anything red and/or made with chilli! I made some pretzels a while back (first time making them) and they were a disaster. So tough it was nearly impossible to chem them! Just flour, salt, sugar and water. Huh. So I get what you mean ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carrot pancakes sound really interesting, I can't wait for your full recipe (though I can't promise not to tweak it, only so it's vegan you understand!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear what a shame they didn't work out. I wonder if cooking and pureeing the carrots would help the texture?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am always so reassured to hear that other people have not-so-great results in the kitchen at times. At least your tomato chilli jam helped out here - and I love the concept of carrot pancakes, so maybe they can be redeemed?

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You