Wednesday, 14 September 2011

Pear, Walnut and Blue Cheese Tart

As well as the Sweet Pear Tart, I mentioned I had made a Savoury Pear Tart. 

Well as promised here it is, in all its flowery autumnal glory.  I sliced the pears wafer thin, so that I could decorate the top of the tart for visual appeal.
I was rather proud of my culinary work of art that I found it too hard to slice into, but you all know that greed finds a way. And it was worth it.  This is a textual tart: softness from the set eggy milk, oozy twang from the blue cheese and crunch from the walnuts.  The pear flavour is very mellow.
I am submitting a slice of this Savoury Pear Tart to Fabilicious Food who is hosting September: Simple And In Season.  I am also sharing this with Lady Behind the Curtains Cast Party Wednesday#14 and Simple Lives Thursday#61 hosted by Gnowfglins.
Pear, Walnut and Blue Cheese Tart
Serves 4 – 6
Ingredients
For the shortcrust pastry
170g plain flour
A pinch of salt
85g cold butter
2 tablespoons cold water
Method for short crust pastry
Sift the flour with the salt into a large bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add 2 tablespoons cold water to the mixture. Mix to a firm dough. It may be necessary to add more water. Chill, wrapped for at least 30 minutes before using.
Preheat oven to gas mark 6. Roll out the pastry and use to line a 8- 9 inch round dish, then bake blind.

For the Pear, Walnut and Blue Cheese filling

Ingredients
1 – 2 medium pears, thinly sliced
2 tablespoon olive oil
2 shallots, sliced
1 – 2 medium pears sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
50g walnuts, chopped
2 eggs
100ml milk
150g blue cheese, sliced or crumbled
Method
Heat the oil and gently fry the shallots in oil until very soft, then add in most of the pear slices, keeping back for the topping and sauté for a few minutes. Season to taste and turn off heat.
When cool evenly spread into the pastry case and scatter over the walnut pieces and cheese.
Now whisk together the milk with the eggs and a little seasoning, then pour over the filling. Neatly arrange remaining pear slices.
Bake in oven gas mark 5 for 30 – 35 minutes. Enjoy warm or at room temperature.

19 comments:

  1. That looks just wonderful. Beautiful tart! Come over and visit us. We have some really terrific apple recipes this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEAUTIFUL! I am so pleased as I have LOTS of pears and you have been highlighting pears lately! LOVELY recipe and photos too!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just stunning! I love how the pear is so thinly sliced...perfectly in season. Thank you so much for linking-up! Ren x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Shaheen. I know this is a silly question, but is blue cheese blue in colour? My experience with cheese is rather limited. I love all your recipes but I especially like the ones in which you use pastry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmmm this would go great with a glass of pinot. i wish i could see a cross section of a slice. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks utterly delishh..
    love your space...awesome presentation with
    gorgeous cliks..
    happy following u..:)
    do stop by mine sometime..
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  7. You certainly managed visual appeal Shaheen. I I love the shape of the pears. But I'll have to wait to try this recipe because we're only just heading into Spring here in Melbourne but I've made a mental note for when the pears arrive =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you carolinaheartstrings.
    I certainly will come on over.


    Thank you Karen.
    Look forward to seeing your pears delights.


    Thank you so much Ren.
    Its a pleasure to be part of Simple and in season x


    Thank you MorningAJ.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sumaiyyah - not a silly question at all.
    Other than cheddar cheese, I started eating cheese much later in life. The blue cheese is creamy white, but is has veins of greenish-blue going through it - its a bit horrible to describe, but its almost mouldy-like. Blue cheese is not to everyones taste, I came to like it as I got much older.

    I've been rather pleased with my pastry success recently, so its really good to read your comment


    Thank you Anna A.
    Yeah, I wish I had taken a picture of it sliced too, as the cheese was oozing out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Jay.


    Thanks Neesie Natters.
    I do hope you get to make this when pears are in season in Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You should be proud. It's a gorgeous tart! I love blue cheese with fruit and nuts. I think they compliment each other beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you France.
    Nice to make your acquaintance too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. pears are such a beautiful fruit - and they really do make this tart look magnificent - you do have a way with presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Johanna.
    I agree that the pears do elevate this tart. I wasn't always a pear person, but by eating with the seasons I have to appreciate them and a lot mroe veg and fruit over time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is such a beautiful tart and the flavor combinations sound so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much Elaine.
    Its one I will make again for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  17. ummmm...that looks heavenly, hope I can do your fabulous recipe justice! thank you for posting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Hope you enjoy it moreso

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You